FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Eucharistic prayers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have only seen EC II used.
EC I aka the Roman Canon has to be used at the Easter Vigil so it was when I was confirmed in 2010. Otherwise, only EC 2
I've seen all four at one time or another, but II is by far most common. Of course, it's also the shortest, but IIRC it is not supposed to be used on Sundays and Feastdays, according to the GIRM.
(02-10-2011, 05:57 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen all four at one time or another, but II is by far most common. Of course, it's also the shortest, but IIRC it is not supposed to be used on Sundays and Feastdays, according to the GIRM.

Wow, really? It does say " Eucharistic Prayer II, on account of its particular features, is more appropriately used on weekdays or in special circumstances" I admittedly have attended more weekday NO's than Sundays.
My home parish has the Novus Ordo in Latin on Sunday evenings. At that particular Mass, only the Roman Canon is ever used, in Latin with the full litany of saints, and it is always chanted in full according to the tones in the Missal, never recited. That is the most proper way of doing things by the NO's standards, but it's also probably the only place other than Solesmes Abbey which does it that way. Funny, isn't it?

(It also makes the Canon take a very long time that way.)
My local NO parish (with the traditionally inclined priest) uses EC 1.
(02-10-2011, 06:44 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]My local NO parish (with the traditionally inclined priest) uses EC 1.

It does happen. I had an assistant pastor who was on his way to being a full blown trad who almost always used it.
At my old NO we had a young trad leaning Priest that used it at his Masses. But the Pastor an effeminate 70 year old liberation theology kinda guy(after all its a Jesuit parish) made him stop because EP II is more in line with Vatican II.
(02-10-2011, 07:12 PM)Baskerville Wrote: [ -> ]But the Pastor an effeminate 70 year old liberation theology kinda guy(after all its a Jesuit parish) made him stop because EP II is more in line with Vatican II.

LOL!
I am guessing option 3 is supposed to be III...At the Church I grew up at it was mostly II or III that was used. Then of course I have seen alternate versions of these prayers used which I believe is against the laws but that never seems to matter to NO priests.

Occasionally Prayer I was used but not too often. We had to hurry up and get Mass over so we could get home and watch football or baseball.

Pages: 1 2