FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Having my home blessed. What do I do???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My priest (F.S.S.P.) will be coming to bless or home, eat supper with us and help our son with his catechism all in the same night.  Talk about the joys of Traditional Catholicism.  It doesn't get any better than this!

As you can imagine my family is much honored and want to do this “by the book”, so to speak. 

This brings me to my question;

While Fr. X is blessing our home what should we do?  Do we follow him around?  Or do we just let him do his thing?

Also,

I own the “Roman Catholic Daily Missal” by angelus press and absolutely love it.  I use it every day.  Can I ask Fr. X to bless my missal and turn it into a Sacramental? 

Also (last one I promise),

One time I asked a bishop to bless my rosary beads and after he was done with the blessing.  I opened my eyes and just said “thank you Bishop X” and “did not” make the sign of the cross or say amen.  The bishop stared at me kind of funny, so I thought maybe I was supposed to have said and did these two things. 

A year or so later, I had a Miraculous Medal blessed by a priest and didn't want to make the same mistakes twice.  This time after the priest was done I made the sign of the cross and said amen.  Again I was looked at kinda funny like I had did something wrong. 

Both of these men are nice guys and probably didn't want to hurt my feelings or something by correcting me.  I would rather have my feelings hurt by being corrected then be allowed to continue in error and look like an idiot.  Or maybe it was all in my head and I just smelt funny. ;D 

Either way, I don't want to make the same mistake(s) three times.  So…….What is the correct thing to do/say when you are having an object blessed?

Thank You for your replies.

Pax. 
This is a good question and something I have thought about doing my self.

If anybody has some advised it would be appreciated.
I think you're too self-conscious.  Perhaps the priest did look at you funny but its common when overcome with anxiety to misinterpret signals.  we had our home consecrated when I was 9 and I don't remember a whole lot, but we just let father do his thing and prayed along when required to.

Bottom line is (not to sound harsh or to demean your worries) to have your home blessed.  that in and of itself should alleviate any temporal anxieties of whether or not you're saying the right thing.  Of course, do what you can to say the right thing but don't feel like it'll be any less blessed if this priest also "looks at you funny."

Its a truly wonderful thing!  God bless.
Yep, you follow Father around.  He'll lead it.  Open every closet door before hand.  He'll bless every room.

I don't no why your would make the sign of the cross if he were blessing something.  But ask him during dinner.

Just make sure you have a tasty dinner.  Offer a glass of wine also, if you have it.  Priests are good guys, don't amp out too much.
You just need to chill.

I had a priest friend come bless my room only, but not the whole house since it's my mom's and she's Protestant. It was really a simple affair. I didn't make any sort of preparation beforehand.
You bless yourself before and after he blesses anything. Not blessing yourself before might have made the priest wonder. My husband was an altar boy and that is what he was taught to do.
(02-13-2011, 03:05 AM)James02 Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, you follow Father around.  He'll lead it.  Open every closet door before hand.  He'll bless every room.

I don't no why your would make the sign of the cross if he were blessing something.  But ask him during dinner.

Just make sure you have a tasty dinner.  Offer a glass of wine also, if you have it.  Priests are good guys, don't amp out too much.

Open all the closets?  :o  But I guess priests have seen overcrowded closets before.

Nobody answered his question about whether he could have his Missal blessed and make it a sacramental. 

I don't know the answer but I bet you do, James. 

The best thing you could do is ask him what you should do.  When the Priest came to bless our house, we led him to each room and he did his thing.  When he was done we had dinner.

As for the missal, ask him about it and have it ready while he's putting his stole on and taking his holy water out.  I'm sure he'll be happy to oblige.
The Roman Ritual contains a ritual for the Blessing of anything, which can be used for anything which doesn't have its own blessing in the Ritual. So you can have your missal blessed, although I'm not sure if it would be a sacramental or not.
You do not need to do anything for when a sacramental is blessed unless it is part of the blessing.

So, "Father, could you bless my rosary?" requires only the priest to bless it (I've held it in my hand while it was done). You do not need to say or do anything. Thanking the priest would be good manners.
Pages: 1 2