FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Has Music in Traditional Communities overstepped their bounds?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am noticing more and more that trad choir directors and their choir seem to become bigger than the mass at some churches. Many in the choir instead of being their to worship JESUS are more into music than worshipping. Many university music majors join these choirs and that's the extent you see of them at the parish. Many times in the Catholic Church's history the church has had to surpress the excesses of the music, i see this trend growing in the trad churches.
Would that it were!

My TLM parish rarely has enough people to form a choir, so Sundays often become low Masses with an organist.
(02-12-2011, 05:25 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]Many times in the Catholic Church's history the church has had to surpress the excesses of the music, i see this trend growing in the trad churches.

Do you indeed?

"He who sings, prays twice." - St. Augustine of Hippo
I believe most trad communities have the exact opposite problem: they either prefer sticking to low Mass only, or their so-called "choirs" are of abysmal quality, being made up mostly of untrained old ladies. I wish my local diocesan TLM had the problem of too many university music majors showing up.

(I'm not a music major myself, but most of the time I'm at church, it's to sing chant. But that's a very important function in the liturgical life.)
Salus has a point. I think that an excessive professionalism is a true danger, particularly where the choir is paid and made up substantially of non-Catholics. There is a consequent emphasis on polyphony (Palestrina, etc.), and the Mass takes on the odor of a performance. Most of us have not seen this, but some of us have.

I think this situation is a consequence of hiring a choir. I sympathize with those pastors who want a beautiful and competent music program, but they may not realize that sophisticated directors and paid singers will tend to try to justify their existence. They will do this by singing very beautiful, complicated pieces that become, well, performances instead of prayer.

I favor Gregorian chant and use of the standard Kyriales in the Liber Usualis.

By the way, I sing at a High Mass every Sunday. My comments are based on experience.

:owl:
I completely disagree. Music should be one of the many areas in which we attempt to present God with our best. God deserves that, not the bare minimum we can get away with. It's not putting the arts before God to have excellent architecture, beautiful vestments, or fine statues. We wouldn't put up with crappy artwork in our churches, why is it better to haveĀ  crappy music? If we have the choice of a beautiful chausuble, we take it, even though a seamstress could just throw something togther. It would technically be a chausuble, right? I see far more of this attitude among trads.
And if the paid choir gradually educates Catholics to the good in church music, that's an advantage. We won't HAVE Catholic musicians interested in the church's great tradition if all they hear at Mass is three old ladies singing "Bring Flowers of the Fairest". Choirs should learn both chant and polyphony, since both the lovely simple and the lovely complex have their place.
Are there any trad churches which use paid choirs (for Sundays), anyway?

Also, all altar servers ought to sing in choir first before taking up the duties of the acolyte. Have them seated in stalls in cassock and surplice, singing the chant of the Mass. Also require all servers not serving on a particular Sunday to sing in choir on those days.
(02-12-2011, 08:45 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]Are there any trad churches which use paid choirs (for Sundays), anyway?

Yes.

(02-12-2011, 09:14 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-12-2011, 08:45 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]Are there any trad churches which use paid choirs (for Sundays), anyway?

Yes.

Really? I should move there.
(02-12-2011, 07:44 PM)Anastasia Wrote: [ -> ]We wouldn't put up with crappy artwork in our churches, why is it better to haveĀ  crappy music?

Nobody here has said we should have crappy music - not in this thread, and probably not in the entire forum. Unless you think Gregorian Chant is crappy!

Anastasia Wrote:If we have the choice of a beautiful chausuble, we take it, even though a seamstress could just throw something togther. It would technically be a chausuble, right? I see far more of this attitude among trads.

That surprises me. In my experience, no group of people is more obsessed about good liturgy than Catholic trads. Well, except high church Anglicans, since good liturgy is the whole reason of their identifying as such.
Pages: 1 2 3