FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Agony in Albany continues with impunity: church becomes frat house
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
A few years ago Roman Catholic Faithful produced a report on the MANY ungodly and blasphemous things going on in Albany. They continue unimpeded.
-----
http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/...019113.php

Fraternity right at home in church

RPI's Phi Sigma Kappa moves into the former St. Francis de Sales church, closed in 2009
By KEnneth C. Crowe Ii Staff Writer

TROY -- Two years after St. Francis de Sales parishioners attended their final Mass, the Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity has moved into the former church.

The transformation from sacred site to frat house is a first for a parish church closed by the Albany Roman Catholic Diocese.

"It will be great to have a house for real instead of meeting in apartments," said Eric Otto, a Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute senior and the house manager.

The fraternity's 19-member Gamma Tetarton chapter bought the church and rectory for $250,000 and took title to the property on Feb. 4.

About five years ago, the fraternity sold its former house at Hoosick Street and Burdett Avenue to a developer, and it is now the site of a Rite Aid pharmacy.

The move to Congress Street puts the chapter on the leading edge of RPI's push to provide student housing to the west and south of its campus.

"I do feel like a pioneer," said Ori Berger, a senior.

The former church is a few blocks east of the $13 million, five-story building now under construction on Sixth Avenue between Congress and Ferry streets that will house 188 RPI graduate students. This new building is expected to open in August.

The fraternity plans to have 14 members living in the former rectory when the fall semester starts. Lately, they've been cleaning and preparing the building for its new role as a fraternity and community meeting place.

"The big plus for us is to use it for a community space," said chapter President Justin Adibi, an RPI junior.

The fraternity faced some local opposition when it went before the city planning and zoning boards to win approval.

"We understand their concerns." said Paul Marano, president of Phi Sigma Kappa Alumni Association of Troy.

Marano said the fraternity will embrace a role in the community by providing space for activities and becoming involved in neighborhood activities.

The fraternity plans to create a $50,000 community development micro grant program and to clean the alley next to Prospect Park.

"A grant program such as this can have a significant effect on the revitalization of the neighborhood and could tie in nicely with the Lower Congress Street project currently under development," Marano said.

St. Francis de Sales was one of 33 worship sites the diocese closed under its consolidation program that started in February 2009.
It's so sad when these beautiful old churches get ransacked and Catholics are left with the plain & ugly churches out in the burbs. But you know, Troy has always struck me as being a very economically depressed and sort of creepy place. You find lots of broken down fallen apart real estate everywhere in Troy. I've driven through many times on my way to Vermont. I know this kind of thing could and does happen anywhere--the selling of churches--but somehow I'm not at all surprised that it's happened in Troy.
i for one welcome the new springtime
Need we more proof of a crisis in the Church?
actually the last prot church i attended before converting (in 2009) was pruchased from the cath church. In 2010 I visited my local NO parish (I had been attending the NO downtown otherwise) and the priest said they were selling the building to the 7th day adventists but "at least they're christians"
(02-20-2011, 03:29 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: [ -> ]actually the last prot church i attended before converting (in 2009) was pruchased from the cath church. In 2010 I visited my local NO parish (I had been attending the NO downtown otherwise) and the priest said they were selling the building to the 7th day adventists but "at least they're christians"

Errr. "At least they're Christians?!" Bad.  >sad
(02-20-2011, 08:26 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-20-2011, 03:29 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: [ -> ]actually the last prot church i attended before converting (in 2009) was pruchased from the cath church. In 2010 I visited my local NO parish (I had been attending the NO downtown otherwise) and the priest said they were selling the building to the 7th day adventists but "at least they're christians"

They still fall into the broad spectrum of Protestant Christianity.

As far as I know, they believe in the divinity of Christ, the Holy Trinity and the infallibility of Scripture. I don't know about the validity of their baptisms, though.
(02-20-2011, 08:38 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-20-2011, 08:26 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: [ -> ]

They still fall into the broad spectrum of Protestant Christianity.

As far as I know, they believe in the divinity of Christ, the Holy Trinity and the infallibility of Scripture. I don't know about the validity of their baptisms, though.

Yah, and they LiVe to hate the holy Catholic Church. Their hatred of the Church really seems to be the reason for their existence sometimes.
As a former Seventh-day Adventist, I can tell you that Adventist baptisms are valid.

Jacafamala Wrote:Yah, and they LiVe to hate the holy Catholic Church. Their hatred of the Church really seems to be the reason for their existence sometimes.

This is probably more true the more hardcore an Adventist gets, or the more serious he is about the church's founding "prophetess" and her documents. Ellen White inherited a lot of the anti-Catholicism of the mid-19th century in America. Think of the Know Nothing Party.

This is hardly true of the average Adventist in the pew, though.
(02-20-2011, 08:56 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]As a former Seventh-day Adventist, I can tell you that Adventist baptisms are valid.

Jacafamala Wrote:Yah, and they LiVe to hate the holy Catholic Church. Their hatred of the Church really seems to be the reason for their existence sometimes.

This is probably more true the more hardcore an Adventist gets, or the more serious he is about the church's founding "prophetess" and her documents. Ellen White inherited a lot of the anti-Catholicism of the mid-19th century in America. Think of the Know Nothing Party.

This is hardly true of the average Adventist in the pew, though.

It's nothing personal against the guy in the pew, HK, I'm sorry if it came off that way. You lived it, so I'll take your word for it it you say so....I only know what I've seen on a few of their websites. I spent some time over at one of their bible websites a few years back, the Adventists there had nothing good to say about "the beast" or "the whore" as they called the holy Catohlic Church.

Then later, I read this over at CAF, you can check it out and see if it's false.

http://www.catholic.com/library/Seventh_...entism.asp

A sampling:

As is clear from some of the beliefs listed above, Adventist theology is intensely anti-Catholic. Many Catholics who do not frequently come in contact with Adventists or their literature do not realize just how hostile they can be toward the Church.

Trying to give others the benefit of the doubt, Catholics may suppose that anti-Catholicism is part of Adventism’s radical fringe. Unfortunately, this is untrue. Adventists who are moderate on Catholicism are a minority. Anti-Catholicism characterizes the denomination because it is embraced in White’s "divinely inspired" writings. A few illustrations help indicate the scope of the problem:

"Babylon the Great, the mother of harlots . . . is further declared to be ‘that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.’ Revelation 17:4–6, 18. The power that for so many centuries maintained despotic sway over the monarchs of Christendom is Rome. The purple and scarlet color, the gold and precious stones and pearls, vividly picture the magnificence and more than kingly pomp affected by the haughty see of Rome" (The Great Controversy, 338).

"It is one of the leading doctrines of Romanism that the pope is the visible head of the universal Church of Christ . . . and has been declared infallible. He demands the homage of all men. The same claim urged by Satan in the wilderness of temptation is still urged by him [Satan] through the Church of Rome, and vast numbers are ready to yield him homage" (ibid., 48).

"Marvelous in her shrewdness and cunning is the Roman Church. She can read what is to be. She bides her time, seeing that the Protestant churches are paying her homage in their acceptance of the false Sabbath. . . . And let it be remembered, it is the boast of Rome that she never changes. The principles of Gregory VII and Innocent III are still the principles of the Roman Catholic Church. And has she but the power, she would put them in practice with as much vigor now as in past centuries. . . . Rome is aiming to reestablish her power, to recover her lost supremacy" (ibid., 507–8).

"God’s word has given warning of the impending danger; let this be unheeded, and the Protestant world will learn what the purposes of Rome really are, only when it is too late to escape the snare. She is silently growing into power. Her doctrines are exerting their influence in legislative halls, in the churches, and in the hearts of men. She is piling up her lofty and massive structures, in the secret recesses of which her former persecutions will be1 repeated. Stealthily and unsuspectedly she is strengthening her forces to further her own ends when the time shall come for her to strike. All that she desires is vantage ground, and this is already being given her. We shall soon see and shall feel what the purpose of the Roman element is. Whoever believe and obey the word of God will thereby incur reproach and persecution" ( ibid., 508–9).

Pages: 1 2 3