FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Latin NO vs TLM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
What are the differences that one who is accustomed to the TLM would notice were he to attend a Latin NO done in Latin and Ad Orientem with incense and only Male servers?  What should one expect especially in the Liturgy of the Word,and the Entrance Rites?

Don't just limit yourselves to that, what are the differences in the whole Mass?
The two primary differences are that:

-In the Novus Ordo, the Canon must be audible. In the Tridentine, it must be inaudible to anyone but the ministers closest to the priest-celebrant.

-The Novus Ordo Offertory prayers are completely different than the Tridentine form. But this is mostly unnoticeable since in the Novus Ordo, it's inaudible if music is sung.

Other than that, where the Liturgy of the Word/Mass of the Catechumens is concerned, the Novus Ordo has no prayers at the foot of the altar. A single Confiteor may be recited by everyone in common, and it's somewhat abbreviated. On Sundays, there are always three Scripture readings instead of two: Old Testament Lesson, New Testament Epistle, and Gospel. The Tridentine only has Epistle and Gospel, except on Ember Days.

The bottom line is that it's exceedingly rare but possible for a Novus Ordo Mass to be celebrated in a way that only experienced trads would be able to tell the difference between the old and new. Most of the absolute differences in the two forms are in prayers that are only audible to the priest and the deacon/subdeacon/ministers. They are important differences, but very subtle nonetheless.
In a sunday mass wouldnt the bidding prayers and exchange of the peace be obligatory in the NO? Just that would be a dead giveaway. Also the no doesnt forbid communion in the hand i gather since even +B16 gave it to the queen of spain that way
(02-20-2011, 09:16 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: [ -> ]In a sunday mass wouldnt the bidding prayers and exchange of the peace be obligatory in the NO? Just that would be a dead giveaway. Also the no doesnt forbid communion in the hand i gather since even +B16 gave it to the queen of spain that way

Ah, yes, two more differences I neglected to mention. In the Tridentine Mass, it goes direct from the Credo to the Offertory. In the Novus Ordo, there are always Bidding Prayers in between those two points. However, the Exchange of Peace is NOT required in the Novus Ordo, for any Mass, any time. It can be omitted, as long as the priest says Pax Domini....

On the other hand, the Exchange of Peace is required in the solemn Tridentine Mass. Interestingly, I was reading O'Connell's Celebration of Mass a couple days ago when writing up my blog entry on deacons, and there were instructions for how to perform the Exchange of Peace in low Mass!!! It must've been one of those pre-Vatican II optional things. And before someone mentions that the Sign of Peace was restricted to the ministers, this isn't entirely true. There are instructions in the same book for how to pass the Peace to all the laity, via the use of a pax-brede (basically a block made out of a precious metal that everyone kisses).

Finally, a pastor of a parish may forbid Communion in the hand in the NO if he so desires. Communion in the hand exists by indult, Communion on the tongue is the "norm".
So, technically, a bishop is powerless to mandate a CITH upon demand in his diocese?
(02-20-2011, 09:16 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: [ -> ]In a sunday mass wouldnt the bidding prayers and exchange of the peace be obligatory in the NO? Just that would be a dead giveaway. Also the no doesnt forbid communion in the hand i gather since even +B16 gave it to the queen of spain that way

The Sign of Peace is not obligatory in the NO.  As for the Liturgy of the Word, there is the responsorial Psalm after the Old Testament Reading.  In the NO, the introit does not have to be said or sung if replaced by an entrance hymn, at least in the U.S.A.

By the waay, in doicesan TLMs one can and may receive Communion in the hand if one so chooses and if it has been approved by the bishop.  The indult from Rome is in place on that and applies to both forms of the Latin Rite of Mass.
CITH at a TLM? Why would someone go to a TLM in the first place? That notion is completely ridiculous.
(02-20-2011, 09:33 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: [ -> ]CITH at a TLM? Why would someone go to a TLM in the first place? That notion is completely ridiculous.

I've personally seen it happen...
(02-20-2011, 09:26 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: [ -> ]So, technically, a bishop is powerless to mandate a CITH upon demand in his diocese?

Yes.

lumine Wrote:As for the Liturgy of the Word, there is the responsorial Psalm after the Old Testament Reading.  In the NO, the introit does not have to be said or sung if replaced by an entrance hymn, at least in the U.S.A.

The Graduale found in the Graduale Romanum or the Liber Usualis may always be used in place of the Responsorial Psalm.

True about the Introitus. Almost all the Propers can be replaced by hymns in the NO. But going by a "default" perspective, all the Proper chants are assumed to be used, just as in the Tridentine Mass.

Quote:By the waay, in doicesan TLMs one can and may receive Communion in the hand if one so chooses and if it has been approved by the bishop.  The indult from Rome is in place on that and applies to both forms of the Latin Rite of Mass.

I've never seen this argument successfully used.
Receiving Communion in the hand and attending TLMs are not mutually exclusive things altogether...
Pages: 1 2 3 4