FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: New article on "Light of the World" and the condom statements
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello all,

I just thought I would point out a recently released article by Bp Sanborn http://www.traditionalmass.org/images/ar...ovCont.pdf.  It goes through the moral theology involved in a straightforward way.  He brings out how a writer, by the name of Mirus for "The Wanderer", tried to say that contraception is only intrinsically evil inside of marriage.  Whatever your thoughts concerning the writer of the article, the arguementation presented is Catholic and worth reviewing.

Joe
Interesting. Thank you for the article. Although this topic has been thoroughly exhausted, I will give it a fair read.
Somehow I don't think that article is going to be very popular here.
    Well, I am not out for a popularity contest or human respect.  Not meaning that you are either.  Some things just need to be said and dealt with.  Objective truth cannot just  be ignored.

Joe

Sounds just about right to me.
(02-21-2011, 08:48 PM)joe17 Wrote: [ -> ]    Well, I am not out for a popularity contest or human respect.  Not meaning that you are either.  Some things just need to be said and dealt with.  Objective truth cannot just  be ignored.

Quite so.
The analysis is crisp, learned, and erudite - up to the point after which it makes the leap to sedevacantism.  There have been very dark times in the Church (Arianism, good chunk of the 10th century, the Avignon captivity, the Borgia era, etc.)  in which the Vicar of Christ either lent some type of support to heretics or behaved in a contemptible manner.  Perhaps we are on the edge of a cliff, with decades of confusing language, but none the less, the Pope is the Pope and that is the end of it.

Regarding the substance of the paper, I found this particularly shocking:

Mr. Mirus attempts to make the elephant dissolve by this incredible
statement: “The point to remember is that contraception
is intrinsically evil only within marriage.” He continues”
“Outside of marriage sexual intercourse itself is intrinsically
evil; outside of marriage, there is no marital act that must be
kept open to life and love; outside of marriage, the morality of
contraception must be determined on other grounds, namely
extrinsic grounds.”

I'm not sure who Mr. Mirus is, but if he actually stated this and meant it in the sense it reads in this context, that is quite shocking.  In effect, that would not just open up plugs in the dam, but in fact remove entire sections, particular with regard to personal chastity, which many honestly seem to believe is a domain entirely of personal determination.

The entire notion of the Vicar of Christ sitting for an interview is absurd and unnatural.  His Holiness going into wordy detail about gay prostitutes is just downright nauseating.  The net result of this will be a further degradation of  the Church's perceived teaching authority, unrepentant Catholics claiming victory, scandalized faithful who actually try to follow the tough teachings of chastity and prohibition of birth control, and a further exodus of young people.

This is a springtime of something...
Mirus is the guy who runs CatholicCulture.org and gives Fish Eaters a "danger to fidelty" rating, lol.   

Imagine a guy who says this judging others' "fidelity":

“The point to remember is that contraception is intrinsically evil only within marriage.” He continues”
“Outside of marriage sexual intercourse itself is intrinsically
evil; outside of marriage, there  is no marital act that must be
kept open to life and love; outside of marriage, the morality of
contraception must be determined on other grounds, namely
extrinsic grounds.”

Crazy

BTW, it's Dr. Mirus, but his degree is in Intellectual History, not theology.
(02-21-2011, 06:06 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: [ -> ]Somehow I don't think that article is going to be very popular here.

We can discuss everything but the sedevacantist conclusions, as usual.
(02-21-2011, 09:49 PM)kingtheoden Wrote: [ -> ]The analysis is crisp, learned, and erudite - up to the point after which it makes the leap to sedevacantism.  There have been very dark times in the Church (Arianism, good chunk of the 10th century, the Avignon captivity, the Borgia era, etc.)  in which the Vicar of Christ either lent some type of support to heretics or behaved in a contemptible manner.  Perhaps we are on the edge of a cliff, with decades of confusing language, but none the less, the Pope is the Pope and that is the end of it.

Though my sentiments are similar to yours, discussion of sedevacantism, pro or con, isn't allowed on the forum.  Thanks!
Pages: 1 2