FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope allows married clergyman convert to remain married and become priest. Gasp!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Kirsten Grieshaber writes for the Associated Press: (emphasis mine)
AP Wrote:BERLIN -- In a rare move that needed the pope's approval, a Lutheran convert was ordained Tuesday as a Catholic priest in Germany and is being allowed to remain married to his wife - who has already become a nun.

Harm Klueting, 61, was ordained by Archbishop Joachim Cardinal Meisner in a private ceremony at the city's seminary, the Cologne archdiocese said.

Pope Benedict XVI gave Klueting a special permission to remain married to his wife Edeltraut Klueting, who became a Catholic Carmelite nun in 2004.

The Rev. Federico Lombardi, the Vatican's chief spokesman, said the exception is rare but there have been similar cases.

"It doesn't happen every day," he said.

Klueting and his wife were Lutherans when they married in 1977 and both served as Lutheran clerics before converting to Catholicism several years ago. They have two grown children.

The Cologne archdiocese said in a statement that the couple would not have to take the traditional vow of celibacy as long as they remain married - a highly unusual move since celibacy is normally a key requirement for Catholic priests.

Klueting and his family could not be reached for comment, and it was not clear whether they still lived together as a couple.

Lombardi said he didn't have any specific information about the Kluetings, including what the pope said about the case.

Klueting is a professor for historical theology at the University of Cologne and teaches Catholic theology at Fribourg University in Switzerland. From now on, he also will provide services as a spiritual counselor for university students.

The archdiocese published pictures of the ordination ceremony showing Klueting with short gray hair and a beard, wearing a simple white priest vestment as he received his blessings from Meisner, who was wearing a festive yellow embroidered robe and a golden cardinal's hat.

In 1950, Pope Pius XII first allowed clergymen who had converted to Catholicism to remain married, the Cologne diocese said in its statement. However, each case has to be approved by the pope himself, the statement said, adding that in the past married priests also had been ordained in the German cities of Hamburg and Regensburg.

Last month, three former Anglican bishops were ordained as Catholic priests in London, becoming the first ex-bishops to take advantage of a new Vatican system designed to make it easier for Anglicans to embrace Roman Catholicism.
This sort of things occurred throughout the Mediaeveal era. I am not terribly surprised; nor am I shocked.
This isn't a wholly new development. The pastor of my home parish was formerly an Anglican minister. He's been a married priest of the Catholic Church (in the Latin Rite) since 1980.

The thing about this guy's wife being a Carmelite nun, though, is odd.
(02-22-2011, 11:03 PM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: [ -> ]This sort of things occurred throughout the Mediaeveal era. I am not terribly surprised; nor am I shocked.

And it still happens. There is an indult in the USA for Anglican married clergy, for instance.

The point is that this AP article is horribly bad.

1. It portrays the ordination of married men into the priesthood as earth-shatteringly rare, when it is not.
2. Further, it says that celibacy is a "key requirement" for the Catholic priesthood, when we know that is not the case in the Eastern Rites.
3. Also, the author seems to think it would be possible for a married man to make a vow of celibacy. Obviously it is impossible, as a man who is already married cannot promise to remain single. The author probably thinks celibacy means to abstain from sex, when it actually means to remain unmarried.
4. The claim that this man's wife became a Carmelite NUN. I'll bet she actually became a tertiary.
5. The vestments at the ordination ceremony are described as yellow. Yellow is not an approved liturgical color. They must have been gold.
6. Mind, the bishop's chasuble was not described as "chasuble" or even "vestments," but as "robes"!
7. A "golden cardinal's hat"? Isn't a cardinal's hat, by definition, red? She must mean a mitre.
8. I'm sure that, with his ordination into the priesthood, the former Lutheran will have to do more than be a "spiritual counselor."
9. The last paragraph of the article makes reference to the Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham as "a new Vatican system" - which sounds funny.
10. Worst of all is the implied expectation that the former Lutheran be asked to DIVORCE his wife in order to become a priest!  Doh!
I got you now. Yes, this article is horrid.
I understand about the exemption of married priests, but nuns can't be married, by definition.
So how does this situation work?
I belive it is called the pauline provision, but yea there are many rites where the clergy are married thought in the roman rite I belive that once they are ordaned they cannot remarry if the wife dies from what I understand at least for the deacons, My home churches just passed away he was a kind old man, He was a meatcutter, mayor, fire chief, and had a very large family, he was 89 and died on valentines day. It was sad but he served others often, and had the rare all seven sacraments, and at his funeral they provided us with scotch at the funeral home, as well as lots of scrapbooks of his life, and dressed in a new dalmanatic that went along with a vestment set when the church bought them a bout a decade ago, he did not often use the dalmanatic though when he would attend to the altar and usually just wore the stole to the side.

The man was frail looking but still strong enough to drop a 25 year old man to his knees with his grip still having lots of strenght from his meatcutting days, and he was at times cranky but never uncharitable to people when the altar servers would not quite have our act together.  Deacon Harris always greeted everyone though he did not attend to the altar due to the trouble of falling as he aged since around 2007 he fell during christmas midnight climbing the steps after communion and fell dropping the blessed sacrement all over, I served that mass and had to help him back up it was a shocking moment but we did what we had to do to help him.

Harris by the way was his first name, and he looked good for his age.

signed Jeremy
(02-22-2011, 11:28 PM)m.PR Wrote: [ -> ] 

4. The claim that this man's wife became a Carmelite NUN. I'll bet she actually became a tertiary.

Nice catch.  I couldn't make any sense out of that. 

Quote:8. I'm sure that, with his ordination into the priesthood, the former Lutheran will have to do more than be a "spiritual counselor."

My guess is that she means he will be a university chaplain rather than the pastor of a parish.

You're right; it's a terrible article.  Have we really reached the point where an AP reporter knows nothing about the religion that is the basis of Western civilization?
I was thinking more mediaeval kings who'd retire to a monastery; or put away their wife in a nunnery.
(02-23-2011, 05:02 AM)churchesoffortwayne Wrote: [ -> ]I belive it is called the pauline provision, but yea there are many rites where the clergy are married thought in the roman rite I belive that once they are ordaned they cannot remarry if the wife dies from what I understand at least for the deacons,  
signed Jeremy

The Pauline Privilege (not Pauline Provision*) has nothing to do with married clergy.  

I know that because I learned about it while studying the Faith before Vatican II, when there were absolutely no married clergy, and no permanent deacons, in the Latin rite.  

There weren't many annulments then, either, and surely even less usage of the Pauline Privilege or the Petrine Privilege.  In the pre-Vatican II era, most Catholics married Catholics, though a fair number married someone who had converted to the Faith prior to the marriage.  When a Catholic and a non-Catholic married, the non-Catholic had to sign a formal agreement stipulating that the children of the marriage would be raised as Catholic.  

*(I did find a protestant site referring to the Pauline Provision, but I don't think that term is ever used by Catholics, and their interpretation wasn't quite the Catholic one.)

No doubt the Catholic Encyclopedia has an excellent article about the Pauline Provision  but no doubt it's also quite lengthy and I think this article gives a good basic understanding.  I can't believe I'm citing Wikipedia but its articles cited Canon Law as well as Scripture and are better than what I read at a couple of Catholic sites.  FE may have a good article on this but, if it does, it didn't come up in the search.

Also, at the end the Wikipedia article refers to the Petrine Privilege, with a link, so I copied most of that article as well:

The Pauline Privilege (Privilegium Paulinum) is a Christian concept drawn from the apostle Paul's instructions in the First Epistle to the Corinthians.

Origin

In Paul's epistle it states:

“ To the married I give charge, not I but the Lord, that the wife should not separate from her husband ... and that the husband should not divorce his wife. To the rest I say, not the Lord, ... But if the unbelieving partner desires to separate, let it be so; in such a case the brother or sister is not bound. For God has called us to peace. (1 Corinthians 7:10-15, RSV) ”

The first section, "not I but the Lord", matches Jesus' teaching on divorce, found in the Expounding of the Law, Matthew 19:9, Luke 16:18, and Mark 10:11. The second section, "I say, not the Lord", gives Paul's own teaching on divorce.

In the Catholic Church and in some Protestant denominations (though most Protestants allow divorce in all serious circumstances), this is interpreted as allowing the dissolution of a marriage contracted between two non-baptized persons in the case that one (but not both) of the partners seeks baptism and converts to Christianity and the other partner leaves the marriage.

It is said that the Pauline Privilege differs from divorce in that it leaves the Christian partner free to remarry, despite the fact that Paul does not himself comment on the lawfulness of such a remarriage. It differs from annulment because it dissolves a valid actual marriage, in favor of the faith of the Christian partner, where annulments declare that a marriage was invalid from the beginning.

According to the Catholic Church's canon law, the Pauline Privilege does not apply when either of the partners was a Christian at the time of marriage. Under Catholicism, the Petrine Privilege may be invoked if only one of the partners was baptized at the time of marriage.

The article on the Petrine Privilege is much longer, the second, lengthier part dealing with its History, so I'm posting just the first part:

Petrine Privilege, also known as the Privilege of Faith or a decree in favor of the faith, is a provision in the Canon Law of the Roman Catholic Church granting a previously married person the right to marry under certain specific circumstances. The implementation of this procedure is reserved to the Pope. In essence, the Petrine Privilege is an extension of the logic of the Pauline privilege to cases of marriage between baptised and non-baptised spouses.

More precisely, it involves the circumstance where marriage was contracted between a baptized Christian and a non-baptized person, and where, throughout the time when the parties lived together, the non-baptized party did not receive baptism. Such a marriage is considered not confirmed (non ratus) through sacramental union, and hence not fully indissoluble. (If the non-Christian party becomes a Christian after separation, the baptism of this party will automatically confirm the marriage sacramentally; however, if - due to separation - the marriage so confirmed is not consummated through direct, unimpeded intercourse, it may be dissolved on the basis of non-consummation (super ratus). Cf. Code of Canon Law, 1983 - c. 1142 and 1149, based on Gregory XIII's Populis et nationibus).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_privilege

Pages: 1 2 3