FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Third Order situation around here stinks.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need to vent.

Last year, I started looking into Third Orders. I first attended a meeting with the Third Order Preachers (Dominicans) but that group was way too intellectual for my tastes. Looking back, they were actually pretty decent...

I next contacted a local chapter of the Eucharistic Apostles of Divine Mercy (I know they're not a Third Order, but I like St. Faustina) but was quickly turned off when they told me I should start reading a couple of books on Medjugorje so that I could catch up with the rest of the cenacle (group).

A couple of months ago, I attended an inquiry session for the Franciscans, which I was hoping would work out because they meet at the Franciscan Monastery here in DC. Turned out to be a huge mistake; very progressive NO Mass and the "apologetics" section was borderline heretical (everyone gets into heaven).

This past week, I contacted a chapter of the Third Order Carmelites (OCDS) and another Dominican chapter. The head of this Dominican chapter invited me a to mini-retreat this weekend (sweet) that will begin with a "healing Mass" (not sweet). Frustrated, I look up information on the "healing" ministry here in northern Virginia, and what do I see? The leaders of the healing ministry also lead the Third Order Carmelites that I sent an inquiry to. So I just added their email address to my spam box.

I wish there was a Third Order I could join around here but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards. My hope is to find a Third Order around here that meets monthly, so I have one more group to try out: the Benedictines in DC.

Are you guys running into similar problems? I know I could join the SSPX Third Order, but I want something local.
Why not retry the Dominicans?
(03-12-2011, 02:23 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]Why not retry the Dominicans?

I might if the Benedictines don't work out. The only reason I haven't gone back to them is that they are into different things i.e. taking trips to museums. Like I mentioned, they're a group of intellectual professionals, and I'm a blue collar guy.
(03-12-2011, 12:55 AM)damooster Wrote: [ -> ]I need to vent.

Last year, I started looking into Third Orders. I first attended a meeting with the Third Order Preachers (Dominicans) but that group was way too intellectual for my tastes. Looking back, they were actually pretty decent...

I next contacted a local chapter of the Eucharistic Apostles of Divine Mercy (I know they're not a Third Order, but I like St. Faustina) but was quickly turned off when they told me I should start reading a couple of books on Medjugorje so that I could catch up with the rest of the cenacle (group).

A couple of months ago, I attended an inquiry session for the Franciscans, which I was hoping would work out because they meet at the Franciscan Monastery here in DC. Turned out to be a huge mistake; very progressive NO Mass and the "apologetics" section was borderline heretical (everyone gets into heaven).

This past week, I contacted a chapter of the Third Order Carmelites (OCDS) and another Dominican chapter. The head of this Dominican chapter invited me a to mini-retreat this weekend (sweet) that will begin with a "healing Mass" (not sweet). Frustrated, I look up information on the "healing" ministry here in northern Virginia, and what do I see? The leaders of the healing ministry also lead the Third Order Carmelites that I sent an inquiry to. So I just added their email address to my spam box.

I wish there was a Third Order I could join around here but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards. My hope is to find a Third Order around here that meets monthly, so I have one more group to try out: the Benedictines in DC.

Are you guys running into similar problems? I know I could join the SSPX Third Order, but I want something local.
  I can't help but am glad you avoided the Franciscans since their theology is as you said borderline heresy.  Today they focus mostly on fundraising and teachings of liberal authors.  Wuerl discovered that the Monastery is an untapped resource for funds also.
(03-12-2011, 10:21 AM)damooster Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-12-2011, 02:23 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]Why not retry the Dominicans?

I might if the Benedictines don't work out. The only reason I haven't gone back to them is that they are into different things i.e. taking trips to museums. Like I mentioned, they're a group of intellectual professionals, and I'm a blue collar guy.

Benedictine oblates attach themselves to a Benedictine Monastery, find a good Benedictine Monastery. You can find the Monastic Diurnal and Benedict's rule online (I believe the daily rule is on one of the FE boards).