FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Book Review: Matt Baglio's The Rite
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There are three things you need to know about Matt Baglio's The Rite:

First, it is not at all like the movie.  Second, it's non-fiction.  Third, it's not a particulalry gripping read.

What it is, is a "fly on the wall" account of a US priest who gets asked to be his diocesian exorcist.  The book covers a bit about his personal vocation story, his time in Rome getting trained (including observing exorcisms there) and the beginning of his exorcism ministry back in the US.  That's it.  You can read this book in a day.

The take aways are that most exorcisms are pretty non-spectacular stuff, how exorcists spot the fakers, the importance of an exorcism team, and the difference between prayers of deliverance (which may be said by anyone), and an exorcist's depreciatory and imperative prayers.  Also, the key role of St. Gemma Galgani in many exorcisms is introduced.

Bottom line: if you bought Fr. Amorth's two books, then you'll want to add this one.  If you're looking for a gripping Catholic-themed novel or horror, pass.

I agree with your review. In fact, I haven't watched the movie because it looks like it greatly differs from the book.

I'd like to add that the book jumps around too much for my tastes. I prefer chronological details but this book is all over the place.
The movie wasn't very good either.  Seems like a ho hum project all around.  Baglio ain't no William Peter Blatty. 
(03-14-2011, 08:52 AM)Allan Wrote: [ -> ]There are three things you need to know about Matt Baglio's The Rite:

First, it is not at all like the movie.  Second, it's non-fiction.  Third, it's not a particulalry gripping read.

What it is, is a "fly on the wall" account of a US priest who gets asked to be his diocesian exorcist.  The book covers a bit about his personal vocation story, his time in Rome getting trained (including observing exorcisms there) and the beginning of his exorcism ministry back in the US.  That's it.  You can read this book in a day.

The take aways are that most exorcisms are pretty non-spectacular stuff, how exorcists spot the fakers, the importance of an exorcism team, and the difference between prayers of deliverance (which may be said by anyone), and an exorcist's depreciatory and imperative prayers.  Also, the key role of St. Gemma Galgani in many exorcisms is introduced.

Bottom line: if you bought Fr. Amorth's two books, then you'll want to add this one.  If you're looking for a gripping Catholic-themed novel or horror, pass.

St. Gemma?  Really?
(03-14-2011, 05:39 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]St. Gemma?  Really?

Yes.  Really.  She is apparently seen by the demon as "the lady is black" and her arrival at an exorcism really pi$$es the demon off.
St Gemma's intercession in exorcisms and against the demons is explored in an very interesting article here
http://www.stgemmagalgani.com/2009/05/ex...gemma.html entitled "Exorcisms and the interecession of St Gemma Galgani".

In fact Matt Baglio's book is quoted in the article.

God Bless-
Glenn