FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Way of St. James
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm hoping to find out if any of you other FE's have ever done a pilgrimage on the Way of St. James in Spain. My husband and I recently found out about it, and the prospect of going on such a pilgrimage has really resonated with both of us. It's a 500 mile pilgrimage that originated in the Middle Ages, ending at the magnificent cathedral where St. James is buried. Obviously a 500 mile journey would take awhile on foot, at 10 miles a day it would take close to 2 months. Have any FE's out there done it? If so, was it worth it, or a big disappointment?
Thanks!
If anyone has more info on the Way of St. James, I would appreciate it. Doesn't matter if you have traveled it or not. If you have made the pilgrimage though, I would love to hear about it!
Hi Lydia, I can't tell you much about the pilgrimage myself, but this site looks like it might have some info:

http://www.csj.org.uk/present.htm
Thank you so much Vivace! The link you provided has a lot of info!
I'm glad it helped!  :)
I've got a good few friends from Spain.  They've recommended the pilgrimage to me before but I can't testify to it personally.  But from their words it sounds great (and you don't have to walk :P!).
(03-18-2011, 01:56 PM)City Smurf Wrote: [ -> ]I've got a good few friends from Spain.  They've recommended the pilgrimage to me before but I can't testify to it personally.  But from their words it sounds great (and you don't have to walk :P!).

So they can skip now?  How very NO.  :P :laughing:
Here's a site for Pilgrims from the States:

http://www.americanpilgrims.com/
Thanks for the link Jovan!

I definitely think that when we do the pilgrimage, we will walk. There is something about traveling on foot that just seems to make the effort more pure. To follow in the footsteps of the faithful that have made the journey over hundreds of years just seems right. It would defintely involve training to be able to walk at least 10 miles a day. I know that most people don't walk that much each day, and I'm no exception.  :P
They give you these passports which you can use for free lodging. Most of these inns are run by religious orders and associations, I think. I heard that it takes a little over a month to finish the pilgrimage on foot. Santiago de Compostela itself is probably one of the most beautiful churches in Spain, and many pilgrims piously climb to the image of Santiago ensconced in the altar to kiss it. I've also heard of some people who go barefoot upon finally reaching Compostela.