FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Monastery question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does anyone know of a traditional monastery that may be willing to accept someone who has diabetes and is in their upper 30s. I would even be open to the Carthusian orders too.
Not an expert, but those don't sound like restrictive attributes at all. I guess there are some that cut off around 35, but I'm sure they could waiver that.

Generally, I would think you would be good to go.
Do you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, Pete?
(03-17-2011, 05:42 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, Pete?

Type 2 insulin dependent. Although I have been told that if I lose weight that could change...the problem is I am gaining weight and not losing.

(03-17-2011, 05:43 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-17-2011, 05:42 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, Pete?

Type 2 insulin dependent. Although I have been told that if I lose weight that could change...the problem is I am gaining weight and not losing.

Yeah, that's tough. My son has type 1 diabetes so I know what the insulin is like.

Well, here's hoping you (and me!) can add more discipline in our lives around food and prayer!
You might check out this Monastery in Silver City, New Mexico.  They are Benedictines and are very traditional.  I know Fr. Cyprian and his family as well as another young man who just became a Priest.  They are very holy men.  The young man who just became a Priest had some health issues when they took him in.  Might be worth a look.

http://www.sspxasia.com/Documents/Societ...-(USA).htm

I'm not sure about when this link was last updated, but I think that they are through or almost through building.  Like I said, it's worth looking into.  :)
Darryl,

You’ve expressed this desire in the past, and a frustration that one community would not be able to accept you as a candidate because of health issues.  I will make this a daily prayer intention for the remainder of Lent :pray: (and I’m not saying I’ll stop praying then, just wanted to give this intention a chronological focus).

I don’t have a community to suggest, but I hope you make some connections from this post.  A few random thoughts crossed my mind:

Look into local hospital wellness programs /health dept. / community resources for a diabetic resource or support group to help you manage your condition, menu ideas for eating better, opportunities to get more exercise and physical activity, etc..  I have the sense you may be experiencing a lot of stress or frustration in life, which makes “charging forward with a positive attitude” difficult (I know the feeling).  But, if you can demonstrate that you have brought the condition under control, that you can manage it, and that it isn’t a “long term liability”, and have a doctor sign off on that, that may provide some needed reassurance to a religious community.  I could see some concern on their part regarding future health costs, so anything you can do to address that may help.

Really random, but perhaps look for a community in Canada (I have no idea what immigration issues might be involved).  With the Canadian health system a community there perhaps wouldn’t have the same reservations as one in the U.S.

Find a spiritual director to work with, a priest or professed religious.  Even if there is no one immediately local to you, one that you could maintain a correspondence with (postal or e-mail; if the group is really traditional they may eschew the internet), and visit at least a couple of times a year.  Perhaps you know some priests who could make recommendations, or even arrange an introduction.  I’ve never worked with a spiritual director myself, so I can’t speak to the experience, but I’m thinking this could be valuable in discernment and helping you stay focused and avoid discouragement if things move slowly.  Also, this person, after they have worked with you and gotten to know you, could be a valuable ally in recommending your admittance into a religious community, even if the “rules” needed to be excepted to a degree.

Hope you get some ideas and connections, and, again, this will be a specific daily intention this Lent.
Clear Creek, OK, too far for you, Darryl?  This is the monastery of Our Lady of the Annunciation, Congregation of Solesmes (Benedictine Abbey of Fontgombault). 
http://www.clearcreekmonks.org/
(03-17-2011, 06:21 PM)dymphna17 Wrote: [ -> ]You might check out this Monastery in Silver City, New Mexico.  They are Benedictines and are very traditional.  I know Fr. Cyprian and his family as well as another young man who just became a Priest.  They are very holy men.  The young man who just became a Priest had some health issues when they took him in.  Might be worth a look.

I'm not sure about when this link was last updated, but I think that they are through or almost through building.  Like I said, it's worth looking into.  :)

The guest house structure (it's more like a castle) has been erected, but the interior has a ways to go (drywall, flooring, windows, etc...). According to the monks, the current monastery is only temporary. They have much grander plans for the future. There are some brothers with persistent medical problems, and as far as I know there is no issue as long as your condition is stable and treatable.
(03-17-2011, 11:44 PM)St. Drogo Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-17-2011, 06:21 PM)dymphna17 Wrote: [ -> ]You might check out this Monastery in Silver City, New Mexico.  They are Benedictines and are very traditional.  I know Fr. Cyprian and his family as well as another young man who just became a Priest.  They are very holy men.  The young man who just became a Priest had some health issues when they took him in.  Might be worth a look.

The guest house structure (it's more like a castle) has been erected, but the interior has a ways to go (drywall, flooring, windows, etc...). According to the monks, the current monastery is only temporary. They have much grander plans for the future. There are some brothers with persistent medical problems, and as far as I know there is no issue as long as your condition is stable and treatable.

Thanks for the update!  Boys from our parish go there every summer to help with the building, but that's been going on for years so I thought maybe they were closer to completion.  I've been out of touch for a little while so I wasn't exactly sure where they were at, building wise.
Pages: 1 2