FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What's your take on Divine Mercy devotion?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I read that Sister Faustina's writings were actually banned at some time. What made them inspired works, how did she go from banned to Saint? I was just about to start learning the Divine Mercy devotion when I haulted to a stop after reading this:  http://www.mostholyfamilymonastery.com/41_Dmercy.pdf
What do you think? In the meantime, I'll be sticking to my regular prayer routine.  :pray:  On another note, honestly I just don't feel right about the Host wanting to rest in her hands. Seems to take the focus of God and shares the focus with Sister Faustina. But I've been wrong before. Maybe I have missed something.
Personally, I would trust very little from MHFM.

That said, I don't practice the devotion, nor do I have anything against it, so I'm kind of worthless to you.  :laughing:  I'm sure others will answer.  My general impression is that trads are for the most part OK with it.  The fact that something was suppressed at one time doesn't necessarily make it not OK.  St. Joan of Arc was burned at the stake, for example.
Be careful reading stuff from the Dimond brothers; as a psychiatrist would say, they're stark staring bonkers.
For a traditional view, see the Fisheaters link.               http://www.fisheaters.com/divinemercy.html
Isn't it supposed to be "stark raving bonkers"?
(03-17-2011, 08:52 PM)patriciaa Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't it supposed to be "stark raving bonkers"?

Indeed.
Well thank you because that silly thing had me going bonkers for a minute!
The site that the article is from looks like a sede vecantist site... I probably wouldn't trust what they say without some serious research. Also, what they say about the words of her diary is them saying it. Remember God knows everything[i] and to interpret His words is not just something we can say 'oh this means this and clearly that is wrong'. Also, can we please see the whole page of the diary? Even [i]with reading the whole page you would have to understand something about St. Faustina's spirituality--something much deeper than a simple interpretation.  

I think they are trying to take parts of St. Faustina's diary and use it to "prove" their views on VII. Sure, maybe bad things did come of it, but why are this?

"Fifth, and perhaps most importantly, would God reveal a new devotion to be said on the beads of
the Rosary shortly after His Mother came to Fatima to work a profound miracle to reveal, among
other things, the necessity of the Rosary?  The specific direction given to Sister Faustina for the
Divine Mercy Devotion to be prayed on the beads of the Rosary is clearly, we believe, the Devil’s
substitute for the Rosary.  And we’ve seen it used that way with so many souls.  The Divine
Mercy Devotion is a clever counterfeit which, being traditional in so many ways, serves the
Devil’s purpose to get this counter-devotion inserted into conservative-minded circles, which the
Devil hopes will use it as a substitute for the Rosary. "

He didn't say "Instead of the Rosary" did he?

Using the Rosary beads to count for another devotion is nothing bad.
The divine mercy chaplet says on the "Our Father" beads:
"Eternal Father I offer the the body and blood, soul and divinity of your dearly beloved Son, our Lord, Jesus Christ. (Response) In atonement for our sins and the sins of the whole world"
And on the "Hail Mary" beads:
"For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world"

Praying for God's mercy is very important. Look at all the sin in the world!  Yikes.

Lydia, you are correct, the Dimonds are sedevacantists.  However, they not "just" sedevacantists; there are normal, sane, rational sedevacantists out there, some of whom are members of the forum.  I disagree with their theological position, but they are not nuts.

The Dimonds do not fall into the same category.  The Dimonds are, well, for lack of a better term, kinda nuts, and they misrepresent things, too, as you pointed out.

They are best avoided.
The Divine Mercy Devotion? LOVE IT.
(03-17-2011, 08:46 PM)candyapple Wrote: [ -> ]I read that Sister Faustina's writings were actually banned at some time. What made them inspired works, how did she go from banned to Saint? I was just about to start learning the Divine Mercy devotion when I haulted to a stop after reading this:  http://www.mostholyfamilymonastery.com/41_Dmercy.pdf
What do you think? In the meantime, I'll be sticking to my regular prayer routine.  :pray:  On another note, honestly I just don't feel right about the Host wanting to rest in her hands. Seems to take the focus of God and shares the focus with Sister Faustina. But I've been wrong before. Maybe I have missed something.
Yes, they were banned, however, that is not unusual. The short story is that the translations of the works were not quite accurate and it was believed that the works may be wrong (they thought it may be claiming to supplant the sacrament of confession).

She was not "banned". She was a Polish nun who died in 1938.

If it were not for Pope John Paul II, and the fact this became more widely published after Vatican II, no one would probably have any problems with it.

Also, there are several chaplets which can be said on rosary beads (often, they do not use parts of it). This is nothing new.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10