FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Now Father Corapi is accused?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
With nothing to go on, I'm hoping these are false allegations. But after Father Eutenauer went down in flames, it's impossible for me to be surprised by anything anymore.

Quote:On Ash Wednesday I learned that a former employee sent a three-page letter to several bishops accusing me of everything from drug addiction to multiple sexual exploits with her and several other adult women. There seems to no longer be the need for a complaint to be deemed “credible” in order for Church authorities to pull the trigger on the Church’s procedure, which was in recent years crafted to respond to cases of the sexual abuse of minors. I am not accused of that, but it seems, once again, that they now don’t have to deem the complaint to be credible or not, and it is being applied broadly to respond to all complaints. I have been placed on "administrative leave" as the result of this.

I’ll certainly cooperate with the process, but personally believe that it is seriously flawed, and is tantamount to treating the priest as guilty “just in case”, then through the process determining if he is innocent. The resultant damage to the accused is immediate, irreparable, and serious, especially for someone like myself, since I am so well known. I am not alone in this assessment, as multiple canon lawyers and civil and criminal attorneys have stated publicly that the procedure does grave damage to the accused from the outset, regardless of rhetoric denying this, and has little regard for any form of meaningful due process.

All of the allegations in the complaint are false, and I ask you to pray for all concerned. 

http://www.fathercorapi.com/default.aspx
Of course I hope to God this is false.. I think the bishops are doing the prudent thing in light of all the scandals, but personally we should give the accused the benefit of the doubt until we know otherwise.

Also, St. Gerard was once accused of sexual misconduct. Just sayin.
Sounds like a weekend spent with Charlie Sheen. 
We should pray for all priests in public ministry  :pray2:
Yup, and with Fr. Corapi's past it's easy to make accusations like this even if it is bullshit. Prayers for Fr. Corapi and all priests.
:pray:
I'm not surprised by anything.
I'm doubting there is any truth to this, especially since Fr. is maintaining his total innocence.  I guess we'll see, though.  Unfortunately, anything is possible these days, but the worst part is that he may never be fully exonerated even if he is totally innocent.  It only takes one crazy allegation to bring down a man and all of his good work.

Prayers for Fr.        :pray:
So if the priest is exonerated, and the claims are proved to be false claims, is the layman who accused him excommunicated?
This is how public school teachers are treated, too: guilty until proven innocent.  An unsubstantiated accusation by a student who's angry about being reprimanded or about a grade can destroy a teaching career.  Even if the teacher is completely cleared of the charges, the stigma remains.  

I have a feeling that Fr. Corapi has many loyal supporters who won't desert him.  If he's cleared, I don't think the damage to his reputation will be irreparable.  That is an advantage of being a celebrity priest, if you're really innocent of whatever you're charged with.

There's rarely any clearcut evidence for guilt or innocence in such cases so they're very problematic.  I foresee a future in which our entire lives in the workplace are videotaped in order to protect against false accusations.  It's a grim thought, that people should have to live that way.

(03-19-2011, 03:48 AM)Revixit Wrote: [ -> ]This is how public school teachers are treated, too: guilty until proven innocent.  An unsubstantiated accusation by a student who's angry about being reprimanded or about a grade can destroy a teaching career.  Even if the teacher is completely cleared of the charges, the stigma remains.  

I have a feeling that Fr. Corapi has many loyal supporters who won't desert him.  If he's cleared, I don't think the damage to his reputation will be irreparable.  That is an advantage of being a celebrity priest, if you're really innocent of whatever you're charged with.

There's rarely any clearcut evidence for guilt or innocence in such cases so they're very problematic.  I foresee a future in which our entire lives in the workplace are videotaped in order to protect against false accusations.  It's a grim thought, that people should have to live that way.

That seems quite possible, especially when merely offending someone has become a crime itself.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5