FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Abusive social workers vs pedophile priests
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From Vox Day

Quote:Note that in the United States, 10,667 people made allegations of child sexual abuse between 1950 and 2002 against 4,392 priests. This represented around 4 percent of the 109,694 priests who were ordained and active during that time. Given that there were 13,000 allegations of abuse in one state representing one-fifteenth of the U.S. population in 2009 alone, this indicates that state social workers are 951 times more likely to abuse a disabled person under their supervision than a Catholic priest was to sexually abuse a child.

This doesn't excuse what the pedophile priests did nor does it excuse the diabolical decision of the Vatican to permit homosexuals to join the priesthood in the first place. They eminently deserve whatever punishment they receive, in both this world and the next. But it puts the scale of their evil deeds into the proper statistical perspective. And while one could argue that physical beatings and psychological abuse are not as bad as sexual abuse and should be omitted from the comparison, one also has to keep in mind that none of the crimes committed by the priests rose to the lethal level either.

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2011/03/abusi...phile.html
Yes, it is important to keep this in perspective. The media likes to promote the idea that the Church is nothing more than a factory for churning out sexually dysfunctional people, and this is hardly the case.
Doesn't change the fact that, with the exception of a brief visit to the confessional, I will never leave my children alone with any priest...whether a NO who is light in his loafers or a trad Fr. Peter Lonergan-type.  While a child may suffer a loss of faith in humanity when a parent or guardian instigates abuse...a child more likely may suffer a loss of faith in God when a priest instigates abuse.  In my mind...that makes a world of difference.
(03-19-2011, 11:33 AM)Underdog Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't change the fact that, with the exception of a brief visit to the confessional, I will never leave my children alone with any priest...whether a NO who is light in his loafers or a trad Fr. Peter Lonergan-type.  While a child may suffer a loss of faith in humanity when a parent or guardian instigates abuse...a child more likely may suffer a loss of faith in God when a priest instigates abuse.  In my mind...that makes a world of difference.

Then you also better not leave your child alone with school teachers as you are far more likely to have your child molested by a school teacher than a Priest.
(03-19-2011, 11:33 AM)Underdog Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't change the fact that, with the exception of a brief visit to the confessional, I will never leave my children alone with any priest...whether a NO who is light in his loafers or a trad Fr. Peter Lonergan-type.  While a child may suffer a loss of faith in humanity when a parent or guardian instigates abuse...a child more likely may suffer a loss of faith in God when a priest instigates abuse.  In my mind...that makes a world of difference.

I don't blame you at all.  But it shows what a dreadfully sorry state the priesthood is in today and how truly sad the situation is.

I believe God is about to raise up many great saint-priests, as God always works miracles of grace amidst very dark times.  What other solution could there be?
(03-19-2011, 11:38 AM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]

Then you also better not leave your child alone with school teachers as you are far more likely to have your child molested by a school teacher than a Priest.

Actually, you'd better keep the kids away from family members.  They're far more likely than either priests, social workers or shrinks to hurt your children.
(03-19-2011, 11:38 AM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]

Well...considering that we home school already...that's not really a concern.  :P