FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bulgarian monk rekindles occult debate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
"(Reuters Life!) - A Bulgarian monk is reopening an age-old debate in the Balkan country between Orthodox authorities and psychics.

In a new book, Monk Visarion denounced internationally respected healer Vanga and spiritual leader Petar Danov and attributed Bulgarians' interest in fortune-tellers and mysticism to decades of atheist communist rule.

Although the Bulgarian Orthodox Church has never explicitly condemned Vanga and Danov, the announcement on its official website says the monk will present his book in two lectures on the "pseudo-icons Vanga and Danov."

Visarion, who serves in a monastery in the all-male Orthodox monastic community of the Mount Athos peninsula in Greece, told the local 24 Chasa daily the book -- "Petar Danov and Vanga - prophets and precursors of the antichrist" -- aims to show the difference between occultism and authentic Christianity."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/1...ZG20110317
Is there anything but all male monks? Such a wird thing to say
(03-20-2011, 07:55 AM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]Is there anything but all male monks? Such a wird thing to say

I think it's a reference to the monastic republic of Mount Athos which does not allow females on its soil.
(03-20-2011, 07:55 AM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]Is there anything but all male monks? Such a wird thing to say

In the Orthodox churches, convents are called monasteries too, so nuns are sometimes referred to as monks.
(03-20-2011, 12:58 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]

In the Orthodox churches, convents are called monasteries too, so nuns are sometimes referred to as monks.

What's an Orthodox nun like? I've never seen one.
Very hairy no doubt if they're anything like the monks
(03-20-2011, 01:14 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]Very hairy no doubt if they're anything like the monks

Pardon, but was that really necessary?
(03-20-2011, 02:54 PM)triadi Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2011, 01:14 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]Very hairy no doubt if they're anything like the monks

Pardon, but was that really necessary?

Ignore him.  His mother is Sicilian, so he shouldn't be throwing stones.  :laughing: (And I can say that because my grandmother was Sicilian as are my sister and daughter).
LOL
actually me mams Irish. It's me pa who's Sicilian. That said I have seen.......
Never mind
but yeah that's right

(03-20-2011, 01:02 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2011, 12:58 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]

What's an Orthodox nun like? I've never seen one.

The ones I met once seemed profoundly devout, peaceful and recollected, like contemplative nuns of the old school.
Pages: 1 2