FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Giving up things for lent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My question is if you choose to give something up for lent and you should happen to fall, for instance if you give up junk food and you have a piece of cake is your resolution bound by sin. I did confess it and the priest really didn't say anything whether it is or not but I don't want to be scrupulous either.
Ordinarily it would be no sin at all since it's a voluntary act. In the unlikely event you made a vow for your lenten penance then it would be sinful each and every time you failed to observe it.
(03-20-2011, 05:49 PM)Ruination_ipa Wrote: [ -> ]Ordinarily it would be no sin at all since it's a voluntary act. In the unlikely event you made a vow for your lenten penance then it would be sinful each and every time you failed to observe it.

Nope. No vow. So I guess I won't need to confess this if I should fall again. That of course doesn't give me license to chow down  LOL
(03-20-2011, 06:28 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2011, 05:49 PM)Ruination_ipa Wrote: [ -> ]Ordinarily it would be no sin at all since it's a voluntary act. In the unlikely event you made a vow for your lenten penance then it would be sinful each and every time you failed to observe it.

Nope. No vow. So I guess I won't need to confess this if I should fall again. That of course doesn't give me license to chow down  LOL
But you don't have to give things up on Sunday. There is no fasting on Sunday because Sundays are always about the Resurrection.
(03-20-2011, 07:24 PM)MichaelNZ Wrote: [ -> ]

But you don't have to give things up on Sunday. There is no fasting on Sunday because Sundays are always about the Resurrection.

I was aware of this...it was Friday of all days I slipped. Although I have to be careful because I didn't eat anything before bed last night and I woke up at 4:30 am shaking and my blood sugar was 60. That's a fear that I have is now that my sugar level is going down I will be asleep and go unconscious because of low blood sugar...if it's not one extreme it's the other.

I confess them.  It's obviously not mortal, but I feel like it's my not keeping up my end of the deal.

You don't have to give things up on 1st class feasts either, right? I drank coffee and otherwise indulged on the Feast of St. Joseph without qualms.
(03-20-2011, 07:33 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]

I was aware of this...it was Friday of all days I slipped. Although I have to be careful because I didn't eat anything before bed last night and I woke up at 4:30 am shaking and my blood sugar was 60. That's a fear that I have is now that my sugar level is going down I will be asleep and go unconscious because of low blood sugar...if it's not one extreme it's the other.

Don't quote me on this one, Peter, but as far as I know, folks with legitimate health concerns and dietary issues such as yours aren't bound to fast.

(03-20-2011, 11:19 PM)Penelope Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2011, 07:33 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]I was aware of this...it was Friday of all days I slipped. Although I have to be careful because I didn't eat anything before bed last night and I woke up at 4:30 am shaking and my blood sugar was 60. That's a fear that I have is now that my sugar level is going down I will be asleep and go unconscious because of low blood sugar...if it's not one extreme it's the other.

Don't quote me on this one, Peter, but as far as I know, folks with legitimate health concerns and dietary issues such as yours aren't bound to fast.

Right.

I'd say, even if you were bound to fast, waking up shaking because your sugar level is low justifies breaking the fast.
(03-20-2011, 08:07 PM)Antonius Block Wrote: [ -> ]

You don't have to give things up on 1st class feasts either, right? I drank coffee and otherwise indulged on the Feast of St. Joseph without qualms.

You are correct.  Hope you enjoyed it, compliments of St. Joseph!  Smile
Pages: 1 2