FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Cancelled: Pontifical High Mass at National Shrine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I thought that the MP took care of needing a Bishop's permission?  The Shrine is absolutely as culpable as the Bishop. 
Certainly they have to release some more information on this.
(03-20-2011, 10:17 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]I still think heads should roll, but I thought the Mass was ultimately just moved to the crypt.

It was canceled, as in canceled.

The Paulus Institute Wrote:Unfortunately, this year’s scheduled celebrant, Archbishop Augustine DiNoia of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments in Rome, withdrew his acceptance of our invitation as a result of changed circumstances.

Although the Paulus Institute has worked for the past several weeks to proceed with the Mass in the end we were unable to obtain the necessary permission.

“We deeply regret this turn of events,” said Paul King, president of The Paulus Institute.  “We are very disappointed, well aware that thousands of Catholics throughout the United States have made plans to attend.  Countless others around the world would have watched and prayed with the EWTN broadcast and wanted the DVD.

“This conclusion is most unfortunate, but we are not standing still.  We are looking forward to a number of activities and events for the future, both near and long term.”

edit: The Mass was going to take place on April 9. The Paulus Institute website says: «We regret that the Mass is not going forward unless otherwise shown at this site» - and it isn't otherwise shown.
(03-20-2011, 11:35 PM)dymphna17 Wrote: [ -> ]I thought that the MP took care of needing a Bishop's permission?  The Shrine is absolutely as culpable as the Bishop. 

Did Papal Ambassador Pietro  Sambi have any role in this? :o
(03-20-2011, 11:35 PM)dymphna17 Wrote: [ -> ]I thought that the MP took care of needing a Bishop's permission?  The Shrine is absolutely as culpable as the Bishop. 

It's a little more complex than that. A priest or bishop can't simply celebrate Mass anywhere he wants. This would've involved getting the permission for a bishop from outside the diocese to celebrate Mass. And even with that in mind, I figured the really important thumbs-up would come from the rector of the Shrine, who can certainly deny permission to anyone who's not his own Ordinary.

m.PR Wrote:It was canceled, as in canceled.

Oh, well.
It would have been an excellent display of the role of the minor orders.
(03-21-2011, 12:20 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]It's a little more complex than that. A priest or bishop can't simply celebrate Mass anywhere he wants. This would've involved getting the permission for a bishop from outside the diocese to celebrate Mass. And even with that in mind, I figured the really important thumbs-up would come from the rector of the Shrine, who can certainly deny permission to anyone who's not his own Ordinary.

At the Shrine, I believe any American bishop can celebrate Mass there as if it were his own cathedral, without any permission from the archbishop of Washington D.C. needed.  Of course, since this wasn't an American bishop, that could have been an issue.  And of course the rector would need to give permission regardless.
Abp. DiNoia is 'merican...
(03-21-2011, 01:34 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Abp. DiNoia is 'merican...

It doesn't matter where he is from; he is not the bishop of an American diocese.  Well, he's titular Archbishop of Oregon City, but I'm not sure if that counts or not in terms of use of the Shrine.
I remember reading Diocesan report about Dnoia, sounds more like an Americanist, unless he's changed somewhat since the nineties.
Pages: 1 2 3