FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Fr. Corapi's "deep pockets"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(03-21-2011, 07:39 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]I heard years ago that Father Corapi gave that money to his religious order.

I thought that was a safe assumption, thanks.
(03-21-2011, 07:53 PM)alaric Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-21-2011, 07:48 PM)patriciaa Wrote: [ -> ]alaric, honey, why do you call yourself a "lone wolf"?
Because I usually don't run with the pack.......... ;D

How so?
(03-21-2011, 08:05 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-21-2011, 07:41 PM)patriciaa Wrote: [ -> ]I don't mean to be inappropriate sweeties, but whenever I see his name I think "Fr. Crappy."

Give myself one of these:  :fish:

You really do have a one track mind, don't you, my little super-pooper.
:laughing:
As an aside: they pulled Fr. Corapi's broadcasts from EWTN and our local Catholic radio station. When I listened for him to come on at 10AM EST they aired a rerun of Mother Angelica instead. I guess I'm not surprised.. After all, what can they do while he's on administrative leave? I just hope that he's innocent of all accusations, and that he comes through this unscathed. 
That's right EWTN.  Head for the tall grass and assume guilt before anything is proven.  Cowards!! COWARDS I say!!!!!!!!  Bah!!!  :bronxcheer:
(03-21-2011, 10:27 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]That's right EWTN.  Head for the tall grass and assume guilt before anything is proven.  Cowards!! COWARDS I say!!!!!!!!  Bah!!!  :bronxcheer:

Is that surprising?  It's a joke of a network.
(03-21-2011, 10:32 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-21-2011, 10:27 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]That's right EWTN.  Head for the tall grass and assume guilt before anything is proven.  Cowards!! COWARDS I say!!!!!!!!  Bah!!!  :bronxcheer:

Is that surprising?  It's a joke of a network.

It's a network gone wrong is what it is.  I might write a book by that name.  BAH I say again!!!! 

(03-21-2011, 10:11 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]As an aside: they pulled Fr. Corapi's broadcasts from EWTN and our local Catholic radio station. When I listened for him to come on at 10AM EST they aired a rerun of Mother Angelica instead. I guess I'm not surprised.. After all, what can they do while he's on administrative leave? I just hope that he's innocent of all accusations, and that he comes through this unscathed. 

So that's why I didn't hear Fr. Corapi's show this morning on my way to work  :censored:

Is there some legal mechanism that would prevent a network or station from airing one of his shows while he's on administrative leave or is this a case of people throwing a priest under the bus because we've been socially conditioned to immediately presume guilt whenever a priest is accused of any wrongdoing?
I asked before if his upcoming appearance in DeKalb, IL would be canceled. Well here is the answer:

http://www.fathercorapidekalb.com/

Quote:Fr. Corapi’s superior pulls plug on Catholic Charities fund-raiser

Father John Corapi will not appear as planned at the Northern Illinois University Convocation Center on Saturday, March 26, or meet with sponsors of the event the night before in Rockford.

Corapi was to be the only speaker at a major conference planned as a fund-raising program for Catholic Charities, according to Frank Vonch, director of the agency. “Without him there is no program,” Vonch said.

He added that all ticket sales and sponsorships would be refunded, although he is still working on details regarding how the refund process will proceed. “We hope to have those details worked out in the next 72 hours,” he said, adding that they will be posted on the Catholic Charities website (www.fathercorapidekalb.com) as soon as they are finalized. If people have questions, they are welcome to call the Catholic Charities office at 815- 387-3373 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. on weekdays.

Vonch said today that he received word from Father Corapi’s religious superior, Father Gerard Sheehan, Regional Priest Servant of the Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity, that Father Corapi would not be able to fulfill his engagements in DeKalb and Rockford because he “has been placed on administrative leave from priestly ministry, in accordance to the Code of Canon Law of the Catholic Church.” 

On his website, Father Corapi reported: “On Ash Wednesday I learned that a former employee sent a three-page letter to several bishops accusing me of everything from drug addiction to multiple sexual exploits with her and several other women.” He concluded his statement by saying: “All of the allegations are false, and I ask you to pray for all concerned.”

On Friday, March 18, all bishops in the U.S. were sent a memo by Msgr. David Malloy, General Secretary of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, that read:

“The Diocese of Corpus Christi has informed the Conference of its concerns with regard to Fr. John Corapi, SOLT. The superiors of the Society of Our Lady of the Holy Trinity (SOLT), headquartered in the Diocese of Corpus Christi, have notified the diocese that Fr. Corapi has been placed on administrative leave and has had all of his priestly faculties removed. The superiors of SOLT have further advised the diocese that this action was taken after SOLT received allegations of misconduct on Fr. Corapi’s part, but that these allegations do not appear to involve minors or claims of criminal activity.”

Vonch expressed regret over any inconvenience the incident is causing people, but said he is gratified to learn that all the people involved have their priorities in order.

“Obviously, we are devastated” Vonch said. “We have been working for almost two years building support for this event and we have been looking forward to a very special day. The proceeds would have provided vital support to our many Catholic Charities ministries. But at this moment, I don’t know how we’re going to recover the expenses of our preparations, much less forgo the contributions we have been anticipating to help fund our programs for children.

“Of course, we’re also sorry for the inconvenience this is to the many people who stepped up to support and attend the program, and now we are focused on working out the details to see that everyone gets a full refund of their donations,” he added.

“But it’s good to know that those who are making the decisions about this matter agree that resolving these accusations has to be given first priority.”

[Image: carapi-appearance.jpg]

What's with the changes in Father Corapi's appearance as of late? Awhile back, I saw him on EWTN as he was being interviewed by Father Mitch Pacwa. My first reaction was he was starting to look like Anton La Vey. I can understand using a bit of hair dye to take some of the gray out of a man's beard if you are a TV personality. Not that I would do it, nor would I expect it from someone like Father Corapi based on all the talks I have seen him give, or all the times I have listened to his fine preaching.

Then there was a time, a couple of years ago, when he said he had health problems and was basically out of circulation. It was mysterious and nothing was really said about it to my knowledge. To my understanding he lives alone, not in community, and this would certainly offer plenty of opportunities to fall in one way or another. Add to that his extensive travel schedule and it would seem he would have plenty of opportunities to get into trouble. He lives in Montana, but his superior is in Texas. What kind of superior is that? It would seem to me that Father Corapi, being the main talent behind the operation, would have absolute free reign in such a relationship. Probably not a good thing for someone who went from riches to rags, and now through his ministry, perhaps back to riches again. If anything, it would seem that his superior reports to him.   

He looked completely uncomfortable when he was gving the homily the next day on EWTN's Mass. Actually it wasn't the homily that made him look uncomfortable. It was when he  observed the other priest confecting the Eucharist. It made me uncomfortable. And I sensed there was something wrong with him. Just a gut feeling. He did not seem like a priest to me. And my definition of a priest, is one who offers the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. He looked like a caricature. When I mentioned this on another forum, someone threatened to knock my teeth out.

Now, let's forget the $3.2 million he won in a lawsuit. How much money is flowing through his ministry via $12 per month subscriptions and his expensive DVDs? I sincerely hope these allegations are complete BS, but it seems he has a good business going due to a Novus Ordo Church which seems to have lost the Faith. So, after the initial shock, and my honest desire to come to his defense. I must admit, upon reflection and past observations, I am a little concerned. This would be absolutely devastating to many who look to him and his preaching as the only form of sanity they have in an out of control Church.

Holy Virgin, Queen of the Clergy, pray for all priests, especially Father Corapi in this difficult time.   

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9