FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Fr. Corapi Being Pulled from EWTN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
EWTN released this official statement today:

Quote:To all EWTN Radio programming partners and hosts:
We are aware that many of our supporters are disappointed in EWTN’s decision to remove Father John Corapi’s programs from the Network during his administrative leave.  We too are greatly disappointed that EWTN had to make this difficult decision. We can  assure you that it was made with much prayer and careful discernment.
The fact is that Father John’s own religious community has placed him on administrative leave and his capacity to function publicly as a priest has been suspended during the investigation of the charges against him.  This was officially communicated to all of the bishops of the country in a statement saying that, “…Fr. Corapi has been placed on administrative leave and has had all of his priestly faculties removed.”
In EWTN’s thirty years of existence, the Network has never knowingly aired programming featuring any priest whose priestly faculties have been suspended. The Network has always responded consistently and immediately in such situations by removing such programs from the air.  We are obliged to do so in obedience to the discipline of the Church.
Father John has long been a friend of EWTN and many of us have worked closely with him throughout the years.  He is a tremendously gifted preacher who has led many souls to Christ.  We are doing exactly as he has asked and supporting him and everyone involved in the situation in the best way possible, through our prayers.
It is also our prayer that this matter will be brought to a speedy resolution so that Father John’s programs can be returned to the airwaves.
Thank you for your understanding.  May God bless you.
EWTN Global Catholic Network

http://patrickmadrid.com/ewtn-releases-n...-programs/

I suppose that this is a prudent decision, however it's not clear whether they will bring back the programming if Fr. Corapi's name is cleared.  I think it would be pretty ridiculous if they didn't.  It also mentions that they are "doing exactly as he has asked" so maybe he supports this decision as well.

As much as I disagree with the way Fr. approaches the Church and does not adequately respond to or notice the crisis of modernism, I feel that he is an honest and devout man.  I hope this turns out to be untrue.  It just seems as if Satan has a lot to win here and Fr. has maintained his innocence.  Of course, it is possible that we will never know the truth, which is entirely too bad.
I don't see how the mere removal of a priest's faculties would create the need to prevent his previously recorded sermons and speeches from being shown.
(03-24-2011, 04:01 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see how the mere removal of a priest's faculties would create the need to prevent his previously recorded sermons and speeches from being shown.

AFAIK, it doesn't.  EWTN has a long history of burying problems.
Yeah. IMHO, if what Fr. Corapi said in the past was good and useful information then, it is just as worthy of being listened to now.

A similar situation also occurred with Alcuin Reid, but in spite of this I'd say his works on the liturgy still contain valuable information.
Personally, I think it's a good policy to have. Having this blanket type of policy is only fair, in my opinion. I'm sure you guys can foresee a situation arising where two priests lose their faculties, and they decide to continue to air one priest's programs while dropping the other. Now they've just determined that one priest is guilty and the other is innocent.

Then there's the possibility that Fr. Corapi may actually be guilty.

Besides, the statement at the end states that they are ready to put Fr. Corapi's programs back on when/if things have been cleared up.
I'm sorry this has happened.  I'm sorry also that EWTN isn't as good of a channel as it was when Mother Angelica was running things.  It's been a terrible loss for those of us who are mired in Novus Ordo land without much relief.  I hope Father is innocent and cleared of all charges.
I agree with Walty's take on this.

Just to add, the culture of guilty before proven innocent is destructive.  Especially in this case, the allegations are common to shakedown schemes and should not derail a person's life until there is more than just a juicy claim put out there.

Touching upon QuisUtDeus's point, it is sad to see people run from their friends at the first hint of trouble.  This is a common thread I have detected amongst neo-Catholics and I attribute it to their semi-Calvinist approach to conversion and sin.  For many, it is all about the appearance of sanctity, success, and popularity.  From personal experience, I have had horrible experiences in not approaching for Communion (do-gooders have actually made scenes while others glare as if I am literally evil personified.)

And if Father failed, neoCatholics have to in touch with reality and that we all temped and fail at some time.  Perhaps abandoning an accused is a defense mechanism because deep down, they know themselves they are not really as saintly as they like to believe.
(03-24-2011, 09:56 AM)damooster Wrote: [ -> ]Personally, I think it's a good policy to have. Having this blanket type of policy is only fair, in my opinion. I'm sure you guys can foresee a situation arising where two priests lose their faculties, and they decide to continue to air one priest's programs while dropping the other. Now they've just determined that one priest is guilty and the other is innocent.

Then there's the possibility that Fr. Corapi may actually be guilty.

Besides, the statement at the end states that they are ready to put Fr. Corapi's programs back on when/if things have been cleared up.

In our world, prudence is often confused with cowardice.  I hope Father Corapi is cleared of all charges and is back on the air soon.
Yes, I'm second guessing EWTN, but I think they could run his programs at least until the verdict is out.  I think they're more concerned about their reputation than anything, and not in a necessarily noble way.

On the good side, they are consistent.  They have pulled shows in the past like this, so they aren't showing any favoritism to Fr. Corapi.  I just think the policy is stupid.  :shrug:

I certainly hope EWTN will remove any references to Origen or Tertullian as well if they want to be consistent. 

Oh wait, this isn't about whether someone is teaching the faith correctly, it's all about reputation.  That's why EWTN has no problem allowing Fr. Groeschel to spew heresy and venom in live programs and in reruns. 

This is Protestant shunning with a bit of "1984" Orwellian rewriting of history.  Destroy a man, destroy his reputation and destroy the history as much as possible so no contesting the current narrative will go on. 

I remember concert pianist Stephen Hough was on "The Journey Home"  and when he came out of the closet and this at least partially due to reading JPII's "Love and Responsibility"  you'd never know he was ever mentioned on the network.

Since Mel Gibson's subsequent collapse, I wonder if "The Passion of the Christ" is still a worthwhile movie in the estimation of EWTN's "editorial board." 

They really are a silly group of people with delusions about themselves and their warped "vision" of what the Catholic Church is. 

Pages: 1 2 3