FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: masturbation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Why is masturbation sinful?

I know a lot of teens have raging hormones  and everyone in the medical field says it's ok to masturbate. This problem is widespread among the general population. How should parents deal with kids who do this?
Because it wastes the seed?

And as far as dealing with it...my kids are all under 6....i have NO idea and am interested in hearing the replies of the more experienced parents
define "kids".

it's a purposeful misuse of God's intention for our bodies. And virtually always accompanied with lust.
(03-26-2011, 10:35 PM)love alabama Wrote: [ -> ]I know a lot of teens have raging hormones  and everyone in the medical field says it's ok to masturbate. This problem is widespread among the general population. How should parents deal with kids who do this?

All humans have hormones. Modern society makes a lot of excuses for it.

There are two things: the flesh and the spirit. They are incompatible. One who live in the flesh, does not live in the spirit and one who lives in the spirit, does not live in the flesh. Only one is mortal.

There are people who are probably more willing to give theological explanations with proper citations.

It is not a superficial matter however. The act itself is not the problem. It does not harm the body and the body constantly produces what is ejaculated. It is more spiritual, a matter of will. That is why the medical field finds no problem with it. They see only the flesh.

It is dangerous I think to consider this to be a matter for older people (teenagers and up). It is possible, and probably hidden, for much younger people to do this. Naturally, sin is determined by intent and knowledge as well as the matter, but it can lead to habits or confusion later on if a young person develops such a habit.

I am not a parent, but I think that parents are unlikely to consider that a child so young could possibly be doing such things, but they can and they do.

(03-26-2011, 10:39 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Because it wastes the seed?

And as far as dealing with it...my kids are all under 6....i have NO idea and am interested in hearing the replies of the more experienced parents

Then menstruation is sinful.  :P  I KNEW girls were bad.    :laughing:

I think it's because it's disordered, and abuses the sexual organs (it uses them selfishly as opposed to in the normal, coital way). 
Menstruation, like nocturnal emissions, aren't an act of the will... which is kinda sorta a requirement for a sin being mortal, St. Ignatius!  :)
(03-27-2011, 12:16 AM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: [ -> ]Menstruation, like nocturnal emissions, aren't an act of the will... which is kinda sorta a requirement for a sin being mortal, St. Ignatius!  :)

The wimmens are crafty...
(03-26-2011, 10:39 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]And as far as dealing with it...my kids are all under 6....i have NO idea and am interested in hearing the replies of the more experienced parents

I told my kids Catholics don't do that regardless of what they teach you in sex ed at public school.  Also, my sons share a room and I time their showers (3 kids 1 hot water tank, you do the math), so their ability is limited.

When I went to Catholic high school, there were no doors on the bathroom stalls to prevent it, and before my time I guess there were bathroom monitors to make sure there was no nonsense in there.  2 shakes only at the urinal.  "2 is business, 3 is pleasure" was the saying.

It's like anything else.  All you can do is tell them it's wrong, if you catch them enforce the rules, etc.  I don't think there's a magic answer to this; just the usual parenting stuff, a lot of prayer, and a glass of wine after they finally go to bed.  That's how I survive, though usually I have a Coke or coffee rather than wine.
Good advice...I have no idea how to handle these things. My parents did the whole "pretend it didnt exist"  thing...
My kid is only three and if allowed she will hump your leg. She's been doing that since she was an infant. They're never too young to discover "the solitary vice."

She's too young to understand virtue, but we do tell her she has to get down if she starts her nonsense, and we've told her that the only reason she should touch herself there is to clean. We've told her that no one else should touch her there except Mama and Daddy to help her clean herself or a doctor if she's having a problem. I haven't gotten to the part yet about legitimate sexual touching in marriage, and I hope I'm not giving her some kind of future hang-up by being so adamant about not touching herself. But I worry. Masturbation is addictive and being addicted to it can cause problems in marriage and I want her to be happy, but she's too little to have that explained.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7