FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What does Fisheaters growth mean? What does Fisheaters itself mean for the world
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I am impressed indeed by the rise in new members here!

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...tion=stats

Going from something like a 100 + a month this time last year to four, five times that ...

I wonder if this is mainly reflective on additional effort by Vox, Quis whoever ... or if it might show (??) a real growth of interest in traditional Catholicism in general ...

Interesting  even exciting. What does it mean?

On a related note, I once started a thread (which did not go very far) on the admittedly BIG question of what people thought this forum meant for the Faith the world in general. What was it achieving, how it was helping the recovery of Catholic Tradition? I am still very interested in this big question.

I will just add that I have managed in the last days to spend more time here and feel moved and inspired by much that is here ...

So in (part) answer to my own question I am feeling at a gut level, more and more meaning and importance to what is happening here.

I find myself thinking about it and wanting to think more ...
For me it means higher server bills and more headaches.  LOL

Speaking of which, we hit an all-time high quantcast ranking yesterday: 14,173;    206,400 monthly visitors to fisheaters.

Since the 1st of the year I've been trying to push for growth where I hadn't before.  If I'm successful, FE will grow even more.  But that's obviously not the whole story.

I think, though, people are fed up with the nonsense.  Reform-of-the-reform is kind of dead in the water; it had all the grease for 40+ years now and hasn't gone anywhere really. They kind of wasted the attention and money they spent on reforming the reform to end up with kind of nothing.  Oh, for sure, they kept a large part of orthodoxy intact, but outside of Neo-Catholic conclaves, they haven't effected much change.  So, I think people are starting to look elsewhere, especially those caught in messed up dioceses that haven't changed except to get worse.

Really, people are starting to wonder what the heck Catholicism was about for 2000 years, and they start looking and find traditional Catholicism, and they're like: "This is it!  The faith of our Catholic forefathers!  Unwatered down dogma!  The truth!  A decent and beautiful Mass!  Sanctifying music!" etc.  B16, by freeing the Mass, has had a lot to do with it.  Also, he talks about traditional Catholics in public.  JP2 kind of ignored it and hoped it would go away.  When the Pope says something, even negative, it obviously gets attention.  Luckily, B16 has said mostly positive things about traditional Catholicism and traditional Catholics, and for that I am really grateful (multos annos, Papa!).

It also gets old seeing clearly Modernist and Heretical bishops wielding a lot of power and running around unscolded when the SSPX bishops - and chapelgoers - are told they're unCatholic.  That double-standard will only hold for so long, then people's BS detectors go off.  Something's wrong when people are shot at for going to a 500+ year old liturgy and practicing the faith as it was always practiced.  Common sense is starting to prevail over rhetoric and the hard-sell of the V2 changes.

FE is just a drop in the bucket doing it's part.  Everyone on the forum does their part, too, by arguing for us being better Catholics, by thinking about what it means to be Catholic, by being friendly and welcoming to those interested in the faith, by demanding adherence to Dogma from each other, etc.

What I hope it means for FE to grow is:  there will be more people who take the faith seriously, who try hard to be good Catholics, and try to help others be good Catholics.
What does "fisheaters growth" mean?

Perhaps, that they've been eating lots of fish? Shrug
I sent the Fisheaters site to my Traditionalist friends on Facebook. This is yet another way Trads can network with one another, and notifying other Trads about this site, and that can also help the site to grow. There's strength in numbers.
I am somewhat pessimistic of Fisheaters 'growth'. There are so many profiles, and yet so many of them are never or hardly used. Is there a way, Quis, that these names can be removed, thereby perhaps cleaning up the server? By all means though, I hope for a growth in this forum and its father, the Fisheaters website itself. Another nail in the coffin of modernistic/americanist/liberal Catholicism would be nice to see.
I am part of this recent growth.

I would like to congratulate QuisUtDeus for having me as a member, and for doing the work necessary to make this forum attractive to people of my caliber.
(03-31-2011, 08:48 PM)Genius Wrote: [ -> ]I am part of this recent growth.

I would like to congratulate QuisUtDeus for having me as a member, and for doing the work necessary to make this forum attractive to people of my caliber.

I will congratulate myself for that as well.  But, I cannot take credit.  Vox, who wrote most of the site, is actually of your caliber (she's in Mensa and was one of the youngest members to join; I won't tell her IQ scores because I don't want to embarrass her, but they're impressive).  Me, the closest I come is that I'm a Pinky and the Brain fan, and mostly because of Pinky.

More than likely it is her that attracted you and I that will repel you when you read enough of my posts.  Glad to be of revulsion service, and you're welcome in advance Tip o' the hat

;D
(03-31-2011, 08:43 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: [ -> ]I am somewhat pessimistic of Fisheaters 'growth'. There are so many profiles, and yet so many of them are never or hardly used. Is there a way, Quis, that these names can be removed, thereby perhaps cleaning up the server? By all means though, I hope for a growth in this forum and its father, the Fisheaters website itself. Another nail in the coffin of modernistic/americanist/liberal Catholicism would be nice to see.

You are right, and bring up a good point.  The growth in number of members is inaccurate in a lot of ways.  There are a lot of dead and/or dormant accounts from over the years.  A lot of spambots sign up and never spam, so I don't catch their accounts (the ones I do are banned, and banned users aren't counted in the counts).  The actual growth is reflected in site ranking and usage.  The best way to see how the forum specifically is doing is to click on the link at the bottom of the index page and you can watch the trend of posts per day, times read, and such.

I could delete stale accounts, there is even a way to say: "Delete accounts not used since X date" but I leave them open because people will have an account for years, browse without signing in, and then decide to reply to something.  Also most other places don't bother doing it.  Those parts of the database will be put in the low-use category and not affect performance too much.

That said, there is real growth: on the forum, on the website, and on the blog - all three.  I am also going to be adding things to the site to make it grow more - in visits, not necessarily forum members.

But I'd like to hear from others their opinions and answers to Roger's question.  I see things through a narrow window.  I'd like to know what others think as well.  If you think it's hurting tradition - and you can state it in civil terms - I'd like to hear why and what you think can be done better.  You can even PM them privately to me if you are afraid the FE fans will jump on you.  I may not change everything people want, but I do read all suggestions.
Maybe everyone is getting banned on other forums so they come here?  I'm wondering if I'll be one of those soon. 

Kidding, of course.  I'm sure there are real reasons there is a boost of new users here. 
Sheer growth in numbers is not an indication of the increase in quality, though. Alas, "many are called, but few are chosen." (Matthew 22:14)

It's quite likely that the more people alienated by the conciliar religion come in, the messier the forum will become. The risk of infection is greater, since most people have a liberal baggage. But I'm sure Quis will adapt the rules to the changing circumstances.

In the end, we can only hope to have set a good example and shone forth the glory of God in our works, remembering the Apostle's injunction to "satisfy every one that asketh you a reason of that hope which is in you." (1 Peter 3:15)
Pages: 1 2 3 4