FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Iowa Man Reaches Halfway Mark in Beer-Only Lent Fast
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:A father of two, Wilson got the idea for his "liquid bread" diet when he encountered German monks' 300-year-old practice of drinking just beer and water to complete the fast of Lent.

Read more here.
I have looked a bit online...and I haven't been able to find anywhere that gives more info about beer-only Lenten fasts practiced by monks.  I wonder if HK or someone else knows anything about this.  Has anyone here tried a beer-only Lenten fast?  If you did...what beer did you use?
(04-01-2011, 10:55 PM)Underdog Wrote: [ -> ]I have looked a bit online...and I haven't been able to find anywhere that gives more info about beer-only Lenten fasts practiced by monks.  I wonder if HK or someone else knows anything about this.  Has anyone here tried a beer-only Lenten fast?  If you did...what beer did you use?

I would love to try a beer-only fast, and if I did, the beer would be Guiness. However, as a 56-year-old diabetic, I don't think it would be such a good idea.      LOL
I've never heard of beer only fasts until this guy hit the Internet. I wouldn't be surprised to find out about monks doing this in the past, but I think had more of a.... pedestrian quality in older times. Not something to break out for tailgate parties or whatever.
I had heard this was the story behind Doppelbock beer: that the monks had brewed a beer with extra protein so that could survive on it.
Another story is that they'd sent some to the Pope of that time for his guidance on whether such a strong beer was appropriate for Lent. It sat out in the hot Italian sun for a few months, so when the Pope eventually got some, he spat out a mouthful and said something like "Dear God, that stuff is horrible, if they want to use it for Lenten penance, then fine by me".
Beer only for Lent?? SOLID...Why didnt I think of that
I've accidentally lost about 10 pounds this Lent. Perhaps I should start drinking more beer to supplement my diet.
If you drink fresh stout beers, then this could be possible. A guy on the Food Network did this with Guinness in Ireland for a whole week, including medical check ups to monitor his health. He had no health problems other than headaches during the middle of the week, which was most likely his body having withdraws from the lack of food/drink that he use to consume (caffinated drinks are like that).
I read in a historical survey textbook on medieval history that the avg monk drank about 4 liters a day.  Unpasteurized, I'll bet there's a lot of good stuff in there.
(04-01-2011, 10:55 PM)Underdog Wrote: [ -> ]I have looked a bit online...and I haven't been able to find anywhere that gives more info about beer-only Lenten fasts practiced by monks.  I wonder if HK or someone else knows anything about this.  Has anyone here tried a beer-only Lenten fast?  If you did...what beer did you use?

Better to ask DK, not HK.
Pages: 1 2