FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Best way to help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Don't know where to put this....

So my step-sister was never taught religion. All she has learned is being born again in Bible club in high school. Unfortunately my Dad didn't teach her anything Catholic except two prayers. (I didn't live with my parents) She is now living in Rockwall, TX. She went to a pentecostal service with a friend and said she wasn't going back. She is interested in Catholicism but I don't know where to start to help her. I sent her a rosary with a booklet on how to pray it. I found a parish for her. (hesitated because I don't know how it's ran... it could be a charismatic movement parish for all I know, but I suggested she call the office and requested to go to RCIA and really stress that she knows nothing of catholic faith.) For beginners I told her to start watching EWTN, and find a Mass. Remember she has never been to Mass before. She would not go back if she just showed up not understanding anything. Any suggestions? I fear if she is not welcomed she will never go back to church, because everyone seems to assume catholics have grown up with the faith.
Tell her about this place called http://www.fisheaters.com/.  Might want to hold off on the forum for a bit, though.

:pray:
Send her to the FE front page...thats a good start.

Call ahead to the parish and see if they can find someone to go to Mass with her and introduce her to people afterwards.  You can even try posting the name of the parish here and see if someone is willing to help (send personal info by PM obviously).  Maybe try posting "Mass needed near Rockwall, TX" in pig roast and see if anyone responds.

That said, I'd let her read about Catholicism and learn about it, at least somewhat, before she goes to a Mass or it will be difficult for her to understand any of it except on a superficial level.
Have her listen to Bishop Sheen's catechism on her PC, on disks or on her mp3 player.  I've always found audio while walking, running or driving to be my favorite way of learning the faith. 

His 50 part series on the Catechism is excellent, accessible, pre-conciliar and available for free. 

http://www.bishopsheen.excerptsofinri.com/
Bishop Sheen's style is too dramatic. I find myself laughing when I'm supposed to be genuflecting.
i think find her as nice orthodox parish with good "Novus Ordo" liturgy... TLM may be a bit overwhelming (it was for my protestant aunt) for a first introduction to Catholicism
(04-02-2011, 05:43 PM)Scythian Wrote: [ -> ]i think find her as nice orthodox parish with good "Novus Ordo" liturgy... TLM may be a bit overwhelming (it was for my protestant aunt) for a first introduction to Catholicism

I think a traditional introduction to the Church is necessary. One can ease one into the faith, but that would be inappropriate.
If there's an SSPX chapel nearby where she could go, it would be wonderful. She should delve into Traditional Catholicism immediately.

The bottom line is that she seems to be responding to God's grace. You can be His instrument. Be there for her and help her with the misgivings that will inevitably occur as soon as she starts to walk the strait path that leads to life.

She needs a concierge, candyapple. Be God's concierge.

(04-02-2011, 04:55 PM)Genius Wrote: [ -> ]Bishop Sheen's style is too dramatic. I find myself laughing when I'm supposed to be genuflecting.

Can you provide an example? 
Pages: 1 2