FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Rockin' FSSP Church in Sarasota, FL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey, I'm sure lots of you are aware of this parish, but if you're a late comer like myself, you really need to check out the FSSP's Christ The King parish in Sarasota, FL.

Send a blank email to ctk-latin-mass+subscribe@googlegroups.com and you'll get email updates whenever Fr. Fryer or Fr. Austin upload homilies and conferences. Fr. Austin is doing an extensive study of the Holy Father's new Jesus of Nazareth book right now and it's pretty sweet. He just sent out a link to the second talk on Eschatology yesterday, that you can download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?y4lg94yk652aat3.

Also, if you're stuck in an area that doesn't offer the Traditional Latin Mass or you've got Sunday Mass, but not daily, check out their site http://www.christthekingsarasota.org/ Click "Daily Mass Video Stream" on the left and you can watch their Daily Mass live or recorded. This REALLY came in handy two Sundays ago when I had the flu and couldn't get off the couch.

Ok, that's all I got. Join the list and check the site. It's like being a virtual member of the parish  ;D
(04-06-2011, 10:22 AM)jamesthedisciple Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, I'm sure lots of you are aware of this parish, but if you're a late comer like myself, you really need to check out the FSSP's Christ The King parish in Sarasota, FL.

Send a blank email to ctk-latin-mass+subscribe@googlegroups.com and you'll get email updates whenever Fr. Fryer or Fr. Austin upload homilies and conferences. Fr. Austin is doing an extensive study of the Holy Father's new Jesus of Nazareth book right now and it's pretty sweet. He just sent out a link to the second talk on Eschatology yesterday, that you can download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?y4lg94yk652aat3.

Also, if you're stuck in an area that doesn't offer the Traditional Latin Mass or you've got Sunday Mass, but not daily, check out their site http://www.christthekingsarasota.org/ Click "Daily Mass Video Stream" on the left and you can watch their Daily Mass live or recorded. This REALLY came in handy two Sundays ago when I had the flu and couldn't get off the couch.

Ok, that's all I got. Join the list and check the site. It's like being a virtual member of the parish  ;D

I'd be curious to know how he is going to handle the Holy Father's contention that evangelizing jews is off limits. Being the FSSP I'm sure the situation will have to be handled with kid gloves. I will check out the link. Thank you.
Seeing as how that was a private statement made as a singular theologian and not from the Chair of Peter and hence non binding on any Catholic I doubt it will have any bearing on evangelization efforts of any individual parish.
(04-06-2011, 12:13 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]Seeing as how that was a private statement made as a singular theologian and not from the Chair of Peter and hence non binding on any Catholic I doubt it will have any bearing on evangelization efforts of any individual parish.

That's not the point. This priest is doing a study on the Holy Father's new book. I'm assuming that the topic of the evangelization of the jews will have to be either dealt with or ignored. If dealt with I'm curious to see how it is handled.
Thanks for posting this!  I've subscribed!
Hubby and I visited there one Sunday, driving down from where we were staying in Tampa. He doesn't quite get why I would badger him to drive a couple hours away for Mass (as many as 4 hours once) but he'll come around. I've got high hopes.
(04-06-2011, 10:22 AM)jamesthedisciple Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, that's all I got. Join the list and check the site. It's like being a virtual member of the parish  ;D

I signed up some time ago and think its great.  He also does a monthly conference of the Confraternity of St. Peter which is very good. 

My wife and I are member of an FSSP parish 71 miles away.  When we can't make the drive, we go to a local Byzantine Liturgy and then watch Fr. Fryar on the Internet.  It works out great! 

We don't have a big flat-screen TV, but livemass.net almost makes me want to go out and buy one.  It really is like being a virtual member of the parish.
Father Fryar is also up in Ocala, Fl, at Queen of Peace every Sunday at 6 PM for the traditional Mass but that church itself is a more conservative Novus Ordo parish so that is the only time you can see him. I go to that Mass when I can since I have to drive down from Gainesville.
Thanks for the links. Over the summer, I attended frequently the Mass he says down in Naples. He's a very erudite priest, and his sermons always have both a theological clarity and practicality. He also has a very good singing voice.

He must also be very longsuffering, as they gave him the ugliest, most modernistic chapel for the Mass, way out in the sticks, at the crack of dawn (well, for me 8am is the crack of dawn :truce:). And wouldn't you know it? it's always packed.
(04-06-2011, 02:17 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for posting this!  I've subscribed!

It's my pleasure, Quis (and everybody else)! I'm just happy a newbie like myself can add some value to the forum. I thought y'all would be like, "James, that's SO early 2010."  :laughing:

Oh, I forgot another good link. If you want to catch up on Fr. Austin's Jesus of Nazareth Part I talks, you can download them all here: http://www.mediafire.com/?cu6cxf84ivug4

Enjoy!