FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: how to discern vocations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How does one know for sure if they have a religious vocation? what are the tell tell signs for teenagers about this?
An FSSP priest told me: "The infallible sign that you have a vocation is when the Bishop lays his hands upon you."

I think vocational discernment has become too psychological and subjective in recent times.  There are objective counter-signs to a vocation, e.g. if you have  no thumbs, you don't have a vocation to the priesthood.  Heavy debts, obligations, or duties which must be fulfilled are objective barriers to a vocation (I might add homosexual attraction or other sexual perversion). 

If you think you might have a vocation and there are no objective barriers, then visit some places and test that vocation. 
(04-08-2011, 07:16 PM)Christus Imperat Wrote: [ -> ]If you think you might have a vocation and there are no objective barriers, then visit some places and test that vocation. 

This.
Pray.
pray, talk to your local vocations director and, if possible, speak to a spiritual director (there aren't many today)
(04-08-2011, 07:29 PM)alegare21 Wrote: [ -> ]pray, talk to your local vocations director and, if possible, speak to a spiritual director (there aren't many today)

Alas!  That is the truth.