FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Vocation to the Single Life?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How would the pre-Vatican II teachings of the Church view a vocation to the consecrated single life for a man?  Or would a consecrated life only be possible for a woman?
Please read my post here, and get the book I refer to:  http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...sg33392382

And be wary of the unfounded prejudices against the call to this state in life that are sure to follow in this thread.  Also, do not get caught up in semantics over what is "really a vocation."  The fact is that Our Lord calls some people to become holy as single people in the world.  Those who go about telling people "there is no vocation to single life" are opposing God and endangering the salvation of souls.
The following is the only Magisterial text (pre or post Vatican II) that I know of that really addresses this:

Sacra Virginitas from Pius XII (par. 6 addresses lay people):

5. Innumerable is the multitude of those who from the beginning of the Church until our time have offered their chastity to God. Some have preserved their virginity unspoiled, others after the death of their spouse, have consecrated to God their remaining years in the unmarried state, and still others, after repenting their sins, have chosen to lead a life of perfect chastity; all of them at one in this common oblation, that is, for love of God to abstain for the rest of their lives from sexual pleasure. May then what the Fathers of the Church preached about the glory and merit of virginity be an invitation, a help, and a source of strength to those who have made the sacrifice to persevere with constancy, and not take back or claim for themselves even the smallest part of the holocaust they have laid on the altar of God.

6. And while this perfect chastity is the subject of one of the three vows which constitute the religious state,[9] and is also required by the Latin Church of clerics in major orders[10] and demanded from members of Secular Institutes,[11] it also flourishes among many who are lay people in the full sense: men and women who are not constituted in a public state of perfection and yet by private promise or vow completely abstain from marriage and sexual pleasures, in order to serve their neighbor more freely and to be united with God more easily and more closely.

7. To all of these beloved sons and daughters who in any way have consecrated their bodies and souls to God, We address Ourselves, and exhort them earnestly to strengthen their holy resolution and be faithful to it.

http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius12/P12SACRA.HTM
By the way, this is my vocation -- which is why I feel so strongly about it!
(04-09-2011, 09:37 AM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]By the way, this is my vocation -- which is why I feel so strongly about it!

An Ave for you as you pursue a vocation of higher sanctity! :pray:

St. Joseph was a consecrated virgin in a sense.  I mean, he was consecrated in that he was married and even though it would have been lawful to engage in relations, he didn't because of God's desires.  So in that sense, he consecrated his virginity to the service of God at the same moment the Blessed Virgin did.  They said "I do" in betrothal and they never did out of service to God.  When you look at it that way, there have been consecrated male virgins since the Incarnation.  I suspect it isn't popular for a number of reasons, the biggest being men who wanted a chaste life would enter the priesthood or monastery.

But the actual living of a "vocation to the single life" I think is misunderstood sometimes.  It doesn't mean "I can't find anyone" or "whatever happens, happens".  It means an actual desire to remain unmarried and in the service of God.  God may drop hints in His calling by making things difficult, etc., but to live it, not necessarily consecrated but to live a vocation,  the actual call has to be responded to, not just putting up with the hints.  And like anything else involving God's Will, it needs to be a well-thought out process probably done with a Confessor and/or Spiritual Advisor.
(04-09-2011, 07:36 AM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]And be wary of the unfounded prejudices against the call to this state in life that are sure to follow in this thread.  Also, do not get caught up in semantics over what is "really a vocation."  The fact is that Our Lord calls some people to become holy as single people in the world.  Those who go about telling people "there is no vocation to single life" are opposing God and endangering the salvation of souls.
Amen!