FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Most Catholics use birth control: study
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Why doesn't the church address this?

Most Catholics use birth control: study
Reuters  Apr 13, 2011 – 6:10 PM ET | Last Updated: Apr 13, 2011 6:28 PM ET

BOSTON — Some 98% of sexually active Catholic women in the United States have used contraceptive methods banned by the church, research published on Wednesday showed.

A new report from the Guttmacher Institute, the nonprofit sexual health research organization, shows that only 2 percent of Catholic women, even those who regularly attend church, rely on natural family planning.

The latest data shows practices of Catholic women are in line with women of other religious affiliations and adult American women in general.

“In real-life America, contraceptive use and strong religious beliefs are highly compatible,” said the report’s lead author Rachel Jones.

She said most sexually active women who do not want to become pregnant practice contraception, and most use highly effective methods like sterilization, the pill, or the intrauterine device (IUD).

“This is true for Evangelicals and Mainline Protestants, and it is true for Catholics, despite the Catholic hierarchy’s strenuous opposition to contraception,” Jones said.

Nearly 70% of Catholic women use sterilization, the birth control pill or an IUD, according to the Guttmacher Institute research.

The numbers are slightly higher among women who identify as Evangelicals or Mainline Protestants, research showed.

The latest data is from the 2006-2008 National Survey of Family Growth (NSFG).

The findings nearly match previous NSFG data from 2002, which showed that 97 percent of Catholic women were using birth control, and are consistent with a trend tracked over the last decade by Catholics for Choice.

© 2011 Thomson Reuters
http://life.nationalpost.com/2011/04/13/...rol-study/
No, no, no. Everything's just fine. Prohibition against contraception is just an out-of-date discipline. Stop trying to make it sound as if there's a crisis or something.

>sad

Miserere nobis.
(04-13-2011, 07:45 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: [ -> ]Why doesn't the church address this?

It makes more sense to ask how things got to this point.
Why are people so afraid of having kids anyways? Is it just seflishness and greed?

They should require Catholic couples to have an annual interview with a priest or something... I guess that's not the "Catholic way" but if this ain't a crisis I don't know is... this is a mortal sin after all...
(04-13-2011, 07:53 PM)piabee Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-13-2011, 07:45 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: [ -> ]Why doesn't the church address this?

It makes more sense to ask how things got to this point.

yes. well, I'm trying to be pragmatic.

Imagine if +Benedict wrote a book called HEY! 98% OF YOU ARE PROBABLY GOING TO HELL! (catchy title, I know) I think that'd have more pastoral value than his recent bizarre, obtuse works.
Move along folks...nothing to see here! No crisis in the Church at all!

ETA: I bet those 2% who don't use it are trads.

(04-13-2011, 07:54 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: [ -> ]Why are people so afraid of having kids anyways? Is it just seflishness and greed?

Selfishness, greed, and a lack of trust in God.
"You want to bring a baby in the world? During a recession?" Nancy Pelosi

(04-13-2011, 08:12 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]Move along folks... nothing to see here!  No crisis in the Church at all!

ETA: I bet those 2% who don't use it are trads.

This... well, maybe it's more like 1.99% of trads and 0.01% of neo-Catholics (considering they take the Holy Father's words as gospel, surely a handful of them actually listen to him, no?).
As someone who has contracepted in the past, for me it was just something that people do. Everyone does it. It is endemic in our culture. Once I actually understood the logic behind the Church's teaching on contraception, I could not wait to start putting my fertility/ family size in God's hands.

I think a lot of other people, Catholic or not, would feel the same way if only they were properly educated. But, like I said, contraception is the norm. I was just at the Dr. today and she wanted to put me on the pill for something completely unrelated to fertility. I had a second cousin who was on the pill with her priest's permission. It is just insane how accepted it is, even among the clergy.

We are one of only two couples I know in person (the other couple is also Catholic) who are not contracepting. Everyone else either is, is sterlized, or is having fertility problems. It is kind of depressing for me and I feel a lot of angst about it. I feel like everyone else is missing the point of life, and it makes me sad for them.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13