FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is Rap and Metal compatible with being Catholic?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Borrowed, courtesy of Quis:
(04-09-2011, 06:56 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]Again, so much for reform-of-the-reform

So are Rap and Metal compatible with being a Catholic? Should we as Catholics promote It?

The video is your example.  It is NOT during mass.  Is this a good thing? I posted the same thing on my Facebook.  I've friends for and against such things as "innocent, fun" that is good to relax to (is the basic notion of those in favour of such music.)
YES: The idea is to redeem and sanctify everything in creation. Anything conceivably valid could be used to glorify God.

BUT!

NO: Cheesy shit like this is just lame and is an affront to the beauty of God, in my opinion. So God redeeming creation is not an excuse to do any silly nonsense in His name.

And anyways, I don't understand the desire to ape the world's culture, badly. I'd rather spend my time resurrecting 1962 Vespers in Gregorian chant with peers.

I'm open to a more accurate interpretation of the issue, being a new Catholic. But I felt the same way about this as an Evangelical, for example see this cheestacular display:

Sure listening to rap and metal are compatible with being catholic as long as you don't take the lyrics to heart. The same goes for making rap music. I like listening to Pitbull for the beat. I just don't take the lyrics seriously
Bak: That doesn't look cheesy; it looks stupid.
(04-13-2011, 08:10 PM)alegare21 Wrote: [ -> ]... as long as you don't take the lyrics to heart.

Can we do really do so?!  How do we know that we do not subconsciously imbibe this?
Virgil,
Do you mean religious rap or metal?  If so, then I don't think it's necessarily/intrinsically sinful, but I would personally consider it as being in bad taste.
I mean both secular rap & metal AND religious Rap and metal. 

Issue 1: As for secular Rap and Metal:  How does one avoid imbibe or absorbing the lyrics; one often does subconsciously or even without realising it?

Issue 2: Regarding  Religious  Rap and Metal: How is this "beneficial" or conducive to the faith at all? Do not primitive beats inspire lewd and animalistic behaviour?
(04-13-2011, 08:17 PM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: [ -> ]I mean both secular rap & metal AND religious Rap and metal. 

Issue 1: As for secular Rap and Metal:  How does one avoid imbibe or absorbing the lyrics; one often does subconsciously or even without realising it?
Sin requires intent and knowledge. Secular music is usually satisfying a desire of the flesh. So, any music of that sort can be dangerous. Let us forget the style, because any style can have the most profane or mundane lyrics (what about an instrumental metal song, and a blasphemous Latin chant?).

My thoughts are more completely found here: http://nonpeccabis.blogspot.com/2009/07/...nment.html

The better part is here (note, this was posted a year after the previous): http://nonpeccabis.blogspot.com/2010/08/...-deus.html

Quote:Issue 2: Regarding  Religious  Rap and Metal: How is this "beneficial" or conducive to the faith at all? Do not primitive beats inspire lewd and animalistic behaviour?
There is no such thing as religious rap or metal or any form of music never fit for worship.

There are two things about the music I think are concerned: the content and the music itself. I do not think the music itself is easily a grave matter unless a person has an unusual reaction to it. I think the content can be a grave matter when understood or known by the listener. One should not enjoy things which are openly and clearly offensive to God. However, pop music comes first in that department. A rap or metal song usually has less evil than what is on the radio.

In my opinion, which is very controversial here, one should only listen to such rhythm-centric music in proportion to the extent to which one's spiritual progress can afford to be stalled.

My suspicion is that, for most (if not for all), this amount isn't very much.
Rap and Metal are not evil essentially. They are evil when the music promotes evil acts.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8