FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What is, "Communal Rite of Reconciliation?" i am freaking out.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been having transportation problems and I made arrangements to use a car to go to confession at a local NO parish.  I checked on line the confession schedule it turns out that the 3:00 confession is tomorrow at 9am and is called. "Communal Rite of Reconciliation." I cannot attend any Kumbaya crap to replace confession.  I am over reacting or is this like some NO Eucharistic Ministry junk and that regular confessions are held immediately following.
This might be something where they have prayers, some kind mini-homily, and then have individual confessions.  They are popular because they get a large amount of priests/faithful in one place for a time period (more efficient?).
well likely I over reacted because this is another NO parish where I can go to on Wednesday. 
daniel
I've never heard of a "Communal Rite of Reconciliation." We have a "Penance Service." Music (soft, sacred music) is played here and there and scripture readings to provide a prayerful atmosphere, but there are definitely individual confessions. Several priests are present to hear confessions. We had our Lenten Penance Service last Wednesday and the church was PACKED. It lasted three hours. You saw kids, teens, old folks, families. Dads were there with their sons. It was wonderful to see.
(04-16-2011, 08:38 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]I've never heard of a "Communal Rite of Reconciliation." We have a "Penance Service." Music (soft, sacred music) is played here and there and scripture readings to provide a prayerful atmosphere, but there are definitely individual confessions. Several priests are present to hear confessions. We had our Lenten Penance Service last Wednesday and the church was PACKED. It lasted three hours. You saw kids, teens, old folks, families. Dads were there with their sons. It was wonderful to see.

Wonderful, yes.  And also frustrating.  It shows that people are hungry for the sacrament and they have so few ways to satisfy that hunger.

My archdiocese mandated that confession be offered every Wednesday night during lent in every parish in the diocese.  The archdiocese runs from the Nebraska border to Emporia (about 3/4 way to Oklahoma), Missouri to past Topeka (eastern 1/3 of the Kansas).  The archbishop himself was in various parishes on Wednesday evenings hearing confessions.  It was good. 

I teach SOR at one of the Novus Ordo parishes by my house. I brought my 7th graders down for confession one night and was pleased to see a dozen or so people in line for each of the 3 confessionals in use.  People are hungry for this sacrament.  3:00 on Saturday afternoons isn't a good time to go-- the priests need to change their thinking on the hour-a-week model.
(04-16-2011, 08:38 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]I've never heard of a "Communal Rite of Reconciliation." We have a "Penance Service." Music (soft, sacred music) is played here and there and scripture readings to provide a prayerful atmosphere, but there are definitely individual confessions. Several priests are present to hear confessions. We had our Lenten Penance Service last Wednesday and the church was PACKED. It lasted three hours. You saw kids, teens, old folks, families. Dads were there with their sons. It was wonderful to see.
I've never heard of a Communal Rite of Reconcilliation, either. But our local parish (NO) does have penance services and yes, they're packed and several priests are there at a time. Maybe that's what it is (I hope). The parish usually has them during Lent and Advent. But Father's regular lines for the confessional are always packed and he offers confession time every day! I once saw three teenagers come in, line up at the empty confessianal to wait and then when a visiting priest came within a few feet of them they pounced, asking if he was hearing confessions. My 15 yo goes two or three times a month. (But his brothers I can't drag in there with a chain fall, go figure) Father urges at least monthy confessions.
Yes, I agree with both of you. People are hungry. Our parish has two big Penance Services during Advent and Lent. Other than that, there are two- 1hour-and-a-half on Saturdays, one before the morning Mass, and one right before the late afternoon Mass. And of course any time by appointment. I think our priest should also hear confessions every First Friday before the noon Mass. We have good daily Mass attendance anyway, but on First Friday the pews are really packed. I agree that priests should urge people to go.. of course, and then back it up by "being available" more than Saturdays.
There's an article by the Reverend John Trigilio on answering questions about communal penance services here: http://www.ewtn.com/library/DOCTRINE/COMMUNAL.TXT

It generally involves having several priests to hear large numbers of confessions, and can be preceded by prayers or readings from Scripture in a liturgical style.