FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: If priests tell parishoners birth control is ok, is it still a MORTAL sin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Are people still truly committing MORTAL sins by using contraception if they are told its fine to do so by their priests? Can it truly be mortal if priests are lying to their people?
It would vary based on the person and the degree of responsibility for their own actions, but long story short yes.

We are not called to ignorance, or to priestolatry.
If people have no other means by which they can learn the Church's teaching (no money for a catechism, no Internet/Web access) and their only source was their parish priest, then I would guess they would not be morally culpable for following his advice (my guess is that the sinfulness of contraception is not a primary precept of the Natural Law, but only a secondary precept).

I also think it's much harder to be in that invincibly ignorant state today than it was a long time ago (when there was less/no mass communication, a lower level of literacy, and less time to actually study the truths of the faith, due to working from morning to night).  I don't mean to overgeneralize, but I think you get my point.
Everybody knows the Catholic Church is against birth control , its our pride!! :pazzo: :pazzo: :pazzo: :pazzo:
(04-16-2011, 06:18 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: [ -> ]Are people still truly committing MORTAL sins by using contraception if they are told its fine to do so by their priests? Can it truly be mortal if priests are lying to their people?

Yes and yes.
(04-16-2011, 06:46 PM)Stubborn Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-16-2011, 06:18 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: [ -> ]Are people still truly committing MORTAL sins by using contraception if they are told its fine to do so by their priests? Can it truly be mortal if priests are lying to their people?

Yes and yes.

Good, simple answer, Stubborn.

I always understood that contraception is against the Natural Law.  Hence, it is a mortal sin no matter who uses it, from a Catholic down to the "ignorant native in the jungle." 
Yes they are committing mortal sin objectively.  

However if they have no reason to doubt the word of the priest, they are not culpable.  The decision on culpability lies with their Confessor who holds the keys of binding and loosing, and ultimately with Christ their judge.

That said, "Father X said condoms were OK" doesn't cut it if they have read the Catechism, etc.  That's willful ignorance and denial.
That's what I've come to understand as well. 

I wasn't raised Catholic and wasn't raised in a Christian home.  I attended Orthodox services (in Greek) with my grandparents occasionally during my grown up years.  I had some involvement in their Sunday School classes and we read from the Gospels ... but I never was taught specific church teachings or any kind of catechism or breakdown of all the ways in which someone can sin against the 6th and 9th Commandments.  I took my cues about what to do and how to behave in those areas from the world around me, confirmed by the "teaching" of my parents through word and deed. 

The priest who married us in 1990 did not discuss contraception, living in sin (fornication) or anything of that nature.  Our Pre Cana did not discuss any of those things.  I was so out of it I didn't know what the words Sacrament or Eucharist meant.  I'd never even heard of the word Eucharist, for that matter. 

But in the mid to late 1990's, I was being led to the Catholic Faith ... and learning from reading and discovered, much to my horror a thing called "Mortal Sin."  I'd never heard that word before either.  As much as I'd like to say it wasn't my fault ... I'd say that the Natural Law did impress on me somehow that I was at fault for everything I'd done...but maybe not to the fullest extent of culpability.  Nonetheless, thank God for Confession.
I've always understood mortal sin to be a willful act of the heart when one knows what is wrong and chooses to do it anyway. 

In this time of apostasy, many are being led astray. 
Surely that includes many who wish it that way, and some who are genuinely confused. 
So, I'm not sure that the question would competently be answered yes or no by anyone on this earth. 

I'm not sure about any of you all, but I certainly fear His judgment for inadequate prudence in following the correct path,
and I daily pray to God for guidance, graces, and mercy, and to our Blessed Mother for her intercession. 
And I try to re-learn the Faith, unlearning what disorienting info I was taught up to this time . 
If we are to be held to a legalistic standard of "knew or should have known",
then given the diversity of opinions among this relatively homogenous group of religious people on virually any topic,
I and probably most here will burn. 
Use Adam and Eve as the example.
They allowed themselves to be fooled and lost. There is no difference, God is still offended regardless of what we think or what lie the priest tells............better for him to tie a mill stone....
Pages: 1 2