FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: His Holiness' Veneration of the Cross
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just turned on EWTN and see that His Holiness is wearing a fiddleback and appears to be saying the prayers for the Veneration of the Cross in Latin.  I'm presuming this isn't the norm - but I don't know much about His Holiness' liturgical celebrations I suppose.

Is this as full of win as I seem to think it is?
The cardinals are venerating the Wood of the Cross right now.  I thought it's been pretty good so far.

"Full of win" shouldn't describe a properly (and reverently) performed Good Friday Mass in Rome.  That should be par for the course (i.e. expected), in my humble opinion.  ;)
(04-22-2011, 12:40 PM)3Sanctus Wrote: [ -> ]I just turned on EWTN and see that His Holiness is wearing a fiddleback and appears to be saying the prayers for the Veneration of the Cross in Latin.  I'm presuming this isn't the norm - but I don't know much about His Holiness' liturgical celebrations I suppose.

Is this as full of win as I seem to think it is?

I'd say that it's a win lol. He's not that bad of a pope (although many on this forum will disagree of course)...he did restore the latin mass after all  :)
"Full of win" should be fully applicable to every Mass, unfortunately not all Masses maximize their winning-ness.

That said, is this much Latin and vestments that don't look like panchos becoming the norm for His Holiness?

Oh, and I'm definitely a fan of His Holiness (though not without reservations...no one is perfect), but this seems abnormally "trad" to me - at least relatively speaking.

Maybe someone who is more intelligent and knowledge than I can comment on some of this..  :)
I wish I could help. I don't have a TV, but I listened to the radio. It "sounded" wonderful! Like Italian to me.. LOL Anyway, the English translater did a good job. And Cardinal Burke, our next pope, was there. My woman's intuition keeps whispering his name in my ear..  :)
PS: I thought our Holy Father's homily was great.. whatever the language.
(04-22-2011, 09:09 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]I wish I could help. I don't have a TV, but I listened to the radio. It "sounded" wonderful! Like Italian to me.. LOL Anyway, the English translater did a good job. And Cardinal Burke, our next pope, was there. My woman's intuition keeps whispering his name in my ear..  :)

I can't say that would particularly upset me.

If I remember correctly he was the first or second person to venerate the cross after His Holiness.  Is this any sign of how much he is in His Holiness' favor?
(04-22-2011, 12:59 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: [ -> ]"Full of win" shouldn't describe a properly (and reverently) performed Good Friday Mass in Rome. 

Technically, the Good Friday liturgy is not a mass, correct? I reckoned it wasn't since, hosts are used from Maundy Thursday.

I found this in Angelus Press missal page 536:

"Today's liturgy clearly does not constitute a Mass for there is no Consecration..."

(04-22-2011, 10:34 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-22-2011, 12:59 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: [ -> ]"Full of win" shouldn't describe a properly (and reverently) performed Good Friday Mass in Rome. 

Technically, the Good Friday liturgy is not a mass, correct? I reckoned it wasn't since, hosts are used from Maundy Thursday.

"Today's liturgy clearly does not constitute a Mass for there is no Consecration..."

Wasn't it the Mass of the presanctified originally?  In the East, they call it the Divine Liturgy of the presanctified.

Really, the reformed Pius XII Good Friday service doesn't strike me as very much different from the Novus Ordo. 
(04-22-2011, 10:44 PM)Christus Imperat Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-22-2011, 10:34 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: [ -> ]

Wasn't it the Mass of the presanctified originally?  In the East, they call it the Divine Liturgy of the presanctified.

Really, the reformed Pius XII Good Friday service doesn't strike me as very much different from the Novus Ordo. 

Yes. The full quote from the Angelus Press missal reads:

"...what used to known as the Mass of the Presanctified. Today's liturgy clearly does not constitute a Mass for there is no Consecration... This form of "Mass" is familiar in the Greek rite"

Well holy week revisions were Bugnini's first stroke eh...
Pages: 1 2