FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Tepidity among traditional catholics.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Hello, this is my first actual thread on this site and I thought I would bring up a topic that has been irritating me recently. Tepidity, worldliness, and laxity among traditional catholics. Viewing some of the posts on here as well as viewing many traditional catholics. My priest yesterday also gave a sermon on the topic and he believes that among our three common enemies "the world, the flesh, and the devil" that "the spirit of the world" would be the greatest threat to traditionalists. I personally believe that catholics who claim to stand against the revolution in the church yet support the revolution in the secular sphere are in a terrible state of contradiction and tepidity. It is scandalous to see traditional catholics listening to rock or rap music, and it can scandalize other catholics who have thrown that filth out of their lives and think "well if other trads do it I guess I can". The same goes for catholic women supporting marxist and masonic feminist ideologies(which were designed to destroy catholic culture and the church in the 19th-20th century) like women outside of the home or women dressing in immodest modern fashions. I know when my priests bring this topic up they are then confronted by a legion of squawking hens(much like the novus ordo) who they have to put back in their place. I think these things stem from ignorance but a willful ignorance. If you attend a traditional chapel and have access to the internet and the plethora of information out there, you have absolutely no excuse to behave in this manner and cause scandal to others. These things are a cancer to the soul and must be combated.

My two cents.
This is what happens when you let women go outside of the home... they end up going to church. Things are so upside-down these days.

How does your priest get the feminist traditionalists back in order? Dropkicks or karate chops? Tazers?

Time to wash my brain out with some Metallica
Yes I agree completely. I am going through a "traditional conversion" so to speak at the moment. I think the hardest thing is to be proud of the traditional pre-vatican faith in front of friends/family/co-workers who are either 1.) lapsed catholics or 2.) non-catholic. By nature as humans are first instincts are to be in community with other people. This often means socializing. The topic of the religion is absolutely off topic in the home/restraunt/workplace. Its the constant battle we all struggle- trying to be accepted by the world and by God at the same time. We all know that Our Lord has said this is impossible.

How many families even pray together anymore?

Also, I have a question for men out there. How do you respond to the typical speech of men these days in the workplace- i.e. terrible profanity, and very crude sexual jokes/remarks? Do you ignore it and walk away or do you admonish it?

Finally, the OP mentioned rock/rap music and how it hurts the soul with its rhythmn and lyrics. What do we think of Country music? Is this music which contains puppy love songs written by mostly southern protestants acceptable to the catholic faith? For example, George Straight?

Brad Paisley man. Catholics be getting to his concerts.
(05-02-2011, 08:57 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: [ -> ]Brad Paisley man. Catholics be getting to his concerts.

Is this song bad by Easton Corbin? Does it go against tradition? Is it modernist?

I, too, despise the trend toward listening to rock and other inane forms of "music".  It seems that half the time I tell anyone I'm a musician they start telling me how they like electric guitar and bands like metallica, U2, etc.  Argh!  Can't we associate music with sounds that don't hurt the ears (to view it purely from a natural perspective)?
(05-02-2011, 08:55 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: [ -> ]Time to wash my brain out with some Metallica

Hope you don't get a case of demonic obsession. I am serious. Hardcore rock and metal can also lead to demonic possesion.

I suggest Trads take a serious look at what Michael Matt and John Vennari have to say on music. Vennari has two cds on the topic at his CFN website, while Michael Matt of the Remnant, has the excellent book, Gods of Wasteland
(05-02-2011, 08:38 PM)IgnatiusMaria Wrote: [ -> ]My two cents.

Salute

Great post. The biggest problem of our society in not economics or politics, but culture, culture, culture.

There is a tremendous culture war that Trads seem conflicted and contradictory on. Catholicism not only ends on Sunday for most Catholics, but at most times, only seems to last at Mass.  Bishop Williamson understood this danger was even affecting SSPXers today, by writing about it in one of his EC posts.
(05-02-2011, 08:38 PM)IgnatiusMaria Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, this is my first actual thread on this site and I thought I would bring up a topic that has been irritating me recently. Tepidity, worldliness, and laxity among traditional catholics. Viewing some of the posts on here as well as viewing many traditional catholics. My priest yesterday also gave a sermon on the topic and he believes that among our three common enemies "the world, the flesh, and the devil" that "the spirit of the world" would be the greatest threat to traditionalists. I personally believe that catholics who claim to stand against the revolution in the church yet support the revolution in the secular sphere are in a terrible state of contradiction and tepidity. It is scandalous to see traditional catholics listening to rock or rap music, and it can scandalize other catholics who have thrown that filth out of their lives and think "well if other trads do it I guess I can". The same goes for catholic women supporting marxist and masonic feminist ideologies(which were designed to destroy catholic culture and the church in the 19th-20th century) like women outside of the home or women dressing in immodest modern fashions. I know when my priests bring this topic up they are then confronted by a legion of squawking hens(much like the novus ordo) who they have to put back in their place. I think these things stem from ignorance but a willful ignorance. If you attend a traditional chapel and have access to the internet and the plethora of information out there, you have absolutely no excuse to behave in this manner and cause scandal to others. These things are a cancer to the soul and must be combated.

My two cents.

My brother is a traditional priest and he says things like listening to rock music and women wearing pants are perfectly fine.

I'm going to assume he knows a lot more about it than you do.
There are very few cradle traditionalist Catholics who have not been "novus ordo-ized" 

The trad priests have to understand that this is missionary work within the Catholic Church. They don't have the luxury of good nuns and parents forming children from the very beginning, there has to be a period of deconstructing and replacing set ideas with new ideas (which are really the old ideas)

Psychology has to be fought against, secular media, secular culture and in many aspects some of these things have been helpful to people to overcome the objectively unavoidable fact that life is hard.  But they will only get you so far.

I would submit that it's not the worldiness that is the big obstacle, it's the lack of objectivity.  The triumph of emotion over reason.  If you don't feel happy, or alive, or satisfied in this life, that becomes the goal of this life. 

Prior to being a trad, traditional prayers made no sense to me, "To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve, to thee to do we send up our sighs, morning and weeping in this valley of tears."  Prior to being a trad, I thought, "Eve didn't really exist, so we're not children of her." and "Life is great, so why is it a valley of tears? And if it is, is whining about it, going to do anything but continue it?" 

I remember sitting in Church hearing, "Jesus died for our sins" and thinking, "What the hell does that mean?"  and it would always be followed by "..because He loves us." and I, for the life of me could not comprehend what the one thing had to do with the other.  And I was raised in a conservative Novus Ordo parish in a conservative archdiocese and I was an excellent student.  What chance did anyone have with priests that were so out of touch?  Both trads and modernists were and in some cases still are incapable of connecting with people.

Some trad priests lack this understanding and they lack the ability to communicate from the ground up to people.  They honestly can't find the place that people are at, because the people are so far away from the truth.  That's why most trads actually discover it on their own and seek it out and bit by bit, they learn to accept correct traditional thinking an traditional ways. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15