FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Catholic parents not wed in the Church
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys!! How can I tell my parents that they should get married in the Church without them getting mad? Yes, we all attend Mass every sunday and pray the rosary. They're the best parents I know and i love them so much. I've mentioned it to them that they can't receive Holy Communion. Well apparently they grew up Catholic without knowing the basic rules about marriage. I'm begging for your prayers for their enlightenment. Thank you!!!  sad
(05-03-2011, 11:32 AM)Filipino Catholic Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys!! How can I tell my parents that they should get married in the Church without them getting mad? Yes, we all attend Mass every sunday and pray the rosary. They're the best parents I know and i love them so much. I've mentioned it to them that they can't receive Holy Communion. Well apparently they grew up Catholic without knowing the basic rules about marriage. I'm begging for your prayers for their enlightenment. Thank you!!!  sad

The Philippines, as I have known it before being expatriated many years ago, possessed the true sensus catholicus.  At that time, the country was 95 percent traditionally Catholic.  The rest were a smattering of protestant denominations, the largest body was trhe Iglesia ni Kristo (the local version of Mormonism), and the Muslims.  A Catholic knew what it was to be Catholic.  Of course there were CINOs (Catholic in name only), but these never denied they were Catholic, were even proud to say so, even if they didn't faithfully practiced their religion -- they attended Mass but the men seldom went to receive Holy Communion. 

This is no longer true.  The Catholic Church in the Philippines is eroding at fast pace. Secular humanists and Protestant "missionaries" have made many converts.  The lamentable fact is that there is a serious lack of religious education which the Church has neglected.  I have met many of young students (some friends of my daughter) who go to Church, receive Holy Communion but have not gone to confession since they made their First.  My daughter tellls me that her cousin and best friend have never been to confession and they see her go at least once a month.  They don't know what to do in the confessional or what it is to confess.

I blame Vatican II and the error taught not by the Council but by those who interpret what they believe the Council has been teaching.  Nothing to be surprised, as this is what's happening everywhere in the Catholic universe. 

You will have to stand by your ground and tell your parents they are wrong and they are on the path to perdition if what they believe they are practicing to be the Catholic religion.  However, be prepared to know that you are right by what you are telling them -- you must show what the Catholic faith teaches and what it does not.  Perhaps, you should start a "re-education" -- start with basic catechism (Baltimore), and the best time is after you pray the rosary, or come home from Mass.  It will be a hard and tedious and difficult road for you but with persistence and perseverance, you may be able to convince them.  They are already "Catholic" -- it's just that they never received religious instruction.  Who to blame?  The bishops and priests to whom Jesus gave the commission and charge to teach and by their neglect, they will have to answer for these souls whom they should have led to salvation instead of to perdition.
Hello, my fellow pinoy. I understand how you feel. My parents were not married in the Church, and as my father passed away, cannot be. Many other family members did not marry in the Church, but go the civil route which is not marriage at all. I do not think that for most people who don't marry that it is their fault, but that those responsible for instruction (parents, family members, clergy) failed to instruct and get across the extreme importance of sacramental marriage. The same holds for baptism, as sometimes people wait several months after birth, instead of immediately after birth, which, really is unacceptable, as even a parent or priest can baptize an infant who is born premature or for other reasons cannot leave the hospital. Anyways, I will pray for your parents that they indeed marry in the Church.

(05-03-2011, 01:33 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, my fellow pinoy. I understand how you feel. My parents were not married in the Church, and as my father passed away, cannot be. Many other family members did not marry in the Church, but go the civil route which is not marriage at all. I do not think that for most people who don't marry that it is their fault, but that those responsible for instruction (parents, family members, clergy) failed to instruct and get across the extreme importance of sacramental marriage. The same holds for baptism, as sometimes people wait several months after birth, instead of immediately after birth, which, really is unacceptable, as even a parent or priest can baptize an infant who is born premature or for other reasons cannot leave the hospital. Anyways, I will pray for your parents that they indeed marry in the Church.

Thank you!!! I really appreciate it!!  Pray
(05-03-2011, 01:13 PM)Vincentius Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2011, 11:32 AM)Filipino Catholic Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys!! How can I tell my parents that they should get married in the Church without them getting mad? Yes, we all attend Mass every sunday and pray the rosary. They're the best parents I know and i love them so much. I've mentioned it to them that they can't receive Holy Communion. Well apparently they grew up Catholic without knowing the basic rules about marriage. I'm begging for your prayers for their enlightenment. Thank you!!!  sad

The Philippines, as I have known it before being expatriated many years ago, possessed the true sensus catholicus.  At that time, the country was 95 percent traditionally Catholic.  The rest were a smattering of protestant denominations, the largest body was trhe Iglesia ni Kristo (the local version of Mormonism), and the Muslims.  A Catholic knew what it was to be Catholic.  Of course there were CINOs (Catholic in name only), but these never denied they were Catholic, were even proud to say so, even if they didn't faithfully practiced their religion -- they attended Mass but the men seldom went to receive Holy Communion. 

This is no longer true.  The Catholic Church in the Philippines is eroding at fast pace. Secular humanists and Protestant "missionaries" have made many converts.  The lamentable fact is that there is a serious lack of religious education which the Church has neglected.  I have met many of young students (some friends of my daughter) who go to Church, receive Holy Communion but have not gone to confession since they made their First.  My daughter tellls me that her cousin and best friend have never been to confession and they see her go at least once a month.  They don't know what to do in the confessional or what it is to confess.

I blame Vatican II and the error taught not by the Council but by those who interpret what they believe the Council has been teaching.  Nothing to be surprised, as this is what's happening everywhere in the Catholic universe. 

You will have to stand by your ground and tell your parents they are wrong and they are on the path to perdition if what they believe they are practicing to be the Catholic religion.  However, be prepared to know that you are right by what you are telling them -- you must show what the Catholic faith teaches and what it does not.   Perhaps, you should start a "re-education" -- start with basic catechism (Baltimore), and the best time is after you pray the rosary, or come home from Mass.  It will be a hard and tedious and difficult road for you but with persistence and perseverance, you may be able to convince them.  They are already "Catholic" -- it's just that they never received religious instruction.  Who to blame?  The bishops and priests to whom Jesus gave the commission and charge to teach and by their neglect, they will have to answer for these souls whom they should have led to salvation instead of to perdition.

Yes indeed, I go to the University of Santo Tomas, and it's supposed to be the Premier Catholic University in the Philippines and run by Dominicans, but our Theology teachers are really not that high top. I was even humiliated in class when i told my professor that it's not a good idea for a Catholic to marry a Non- Catholic.
Why don't you talk to the priest and have him talk to your parents?  They probably think that validating their marriage would be a lot of trouble or would cost money.
(05-04-2011, 11:14 AM)Filipino Catholic Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2011, 01:33 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, my fellow pinoy. I understand how you feel. My parents were not married in the Church, and as my father passed away, cannot be. Many other family members did not marry in the Church, but go the civil route which is not marriage at all. I do not think that for most people who don't marry that it is their fault, but that those responsible for instruction (parents, family members, clergy) failed to instruct and get across the extreme importance of sacramental marriage. The same holds for baptism, as sometimes people wait several months after birth, instead of immediately after birth, which, really is unacceptable, as even a parent or priest can baptize an infant who is born premature or for other reasons cannot leave the hospital. Anyways, I will pray for your parents that they indeed marry in the Church.

Thank you!!! I really appreciate it!!   Pray

I live in the Philippines too. And there is a real problem with faulty religious instruction here. I will certainly keep your parents in my prayers. If you want to fortify yourself with good Catholic apologetics from the Filipino viewpoint, then check out http://catholicfaithdefenders.com/ 
They have chapters all over the Philippines.

Regards and devotion in the Lord,

C.
Flipino Catholic

On a side note, my uncle went to UST and is now a doctor.
Another thing to consider is "Couples for Christ". They are very orthodox and good at getting the teachings of the Church across in an attractive manner without alienating people. Maybe you can interest your parents in joining or at least meeting some couples from CFC. They were a big help to me and my wife.
http://cyberoutsource.info/couplesf/index.php

C.
Not only is faulty religious instruction a problem, but TV shows and movies tend to propagate the idea that marriage is valid whether done in church or in the presence of a judge. I may live in the US, but my parents have The Filipino Channel. Of course, other immoralities are portrayed as well.
Pages: 1 2