FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Origin of Coffee & Donuts After Catholic Mass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
We attend the N.O. and pretty much always have .... we learned about Tradition, about 10 years ago, but don't live in a place where we can attend a traditional Mass  Anyway, the N.O. is the only environment in which I have much experience. 

Have Catholics always had a coffee and donuts thing after Mass?  It's just always been so uncomfortable for me and we've never met and made friends with anyone we've seen or talked to there.  Pre Vatican II, was there a way to be a member of the parish without participating in committees and fundraisers?  Everyone seems to take an "active" role in the running of the parish.  If you go to a meeting, they approach you immediately to try to sign you up to be an Eucharistic Minister or a Lector or to join the "choir" (I use that term loosely). ...

However, I'd be happy to provide food or to clean .. but I'm not an outgoing sanguine type of personality, and it always seems to me that those in charge of things are all this way!  Because of my temperment, I really REALLY dislike it when people rush at me and start asking me questions and asking me to join this or that ... it's very off putting.  In fact, it seems to me that the N.O. is dominated by sanguines and the Traditional parishes are dominated by cholerics and melancholics!  I don't know were the phlegmatics are...probably in-between!   LOL

Have Catholics always done this or is this an "add-on" idea to have a time of "fellowship" like the Protestant churches?

We have coffee and donuts as well but I skip it and go home. LOL
Our parish does not have a "coffee and donuts" Sunday and I don't remember having any as a child. I think it's a new trend in some parishes. We did have milk and powdered donuts after our First Holy Communion... but that was a special occasion and it was just for the kids and their parents.
(05-04-2011, 01:31 PM)Traditional Guy Wrote: [ -> ]We have coffee and donuts as well but I skip it and go home. LOL

I would never skip a chance for free donuts.  Food!
(05-04-2011, 01:31 PM)Traditional Guy Wrote: [ -> ]We have coffee and donuts as well but I skip it and go home. LOL

Haven't we always heard about how Catholics mostly just go to Mass and go home?!   LOL  Do you think it has something to do with the fact that we have The Eucharist?  That we go to get spiritually fed and then go home?  It seems to me that Protestants maybe rely too much on fellowship being the undergirding of their faith.
(05-04-2011, 01:32 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]

I have fasted since mindnight by that time and I am so hungry that I feel no hunger if that makes sense. Huh?
(05-04-2011, 01:33 PM)Traditional Guy Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2011, 01:32 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]

I have fasted since mindnight by that time and I am so hungry that I feel no hunger if that makes sense. Huh?

Yes, it makes sense.
(05-04-2011, 01:32 PM)Grace Wrote: [ -> ]

Haven't we always heard about how Catholics mostly just go to Mass and go home?!   LOL  Do you think it has something to do with the fact that we have The Eucharist?  That we go to get spiritually fed and then go home?  It seems to me that Protestants maybe rely too much on fellowship being the undergirding of their faith.
I don't  see anything wrong with talking to anyone (as long as it is not in Church...ugh...how many times has that happened to me in a NO parish) but usually I am not real familiar with all of those people.
(05-04-2011, 01:31 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]Our parish does not have a "coffee and donuts" Sunday and I don't remember having any as a child. I think it's a new trend in some parishes. We did have milk and powdered donuts after our First Holy Communion... but that was a special occasion and it was just for the kids and their parents.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  I know there was the sodalities and charitiable things and the cleaning of the altar linens.  Maybe the charity work and sodalities were connected?  There was always something to do and be done ..However, to be perfectly honest, the way things are now, it reminds me of the clubs in high school.  For better or worse (according to one's point of view) I was never a "joiner" and I just don't like being put on the spot.  It's almost like the cliques in high school .. you're either in or out.    Huh?
(05-04-2011, 01:36 PM)Grace Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2011, 01:31 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]Our parish does not have a "coffee and donuts" Sunday and I don't remember having any as a child. I think it's a new trend in some parishes. We did have milk and powdered donuts after our First Holy Communion... but that was a special occasion and it was just for the kids and their parents.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  I know there was the sodalities and charitiable things and the cleaning of the altar linens.  Maybe the charity work and sodalities were connected?  There was always something to do and be done ..However, to be perfectly honest, the way things are now, it reminds me of the clubs in high school.  For better or worse (according to one's point of view) I was never a "joiner" and I just don't like being put on the spot.  It's almost like the cliques in high school .. you're either in or out.    Huh?
There are a lot of 'clubs' these days but personally I went to that 'coffee and donut' thing a few times and if you do not know anyone no one really talks to you. They hang out with their groups.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7