FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is it wrong to prefer to go to mass with your own ethnicity?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Is it wrong/sinful for irish catholics to prefer to go to mass with other irish catholics? is it wrong for hispanics to prefer to go to mass with other hispanics? Also, before white flight there was great segregation among poles, italians, germans, irish, hispanic, asian, black catholics etc. A lot of these neighborhood churches were basically ethnic churches depending on the demographics of that neighborhood.

Hypothetically is it wrong for lets say an italian catholic in an hispanic neighborhood to drive 20 minutes out of the way to attend  a catholic mass in an italian neighborhood? (Lets pretend its the exact same tridentine mass and language is not an issue)

I bring this issue up because I just heard an audio for a priest I respect very much, Fr. Enrique Rueda (RIP), who also wrote The Homosexual Network. http://cleansingfiredor.com/2011/01/audi...que-rueda/.

Fr. Rueda was highly concerned about the number of hispanic catholics who are leaving for protestantism. He basically said its because the church fails to give them any pastoral guidance or sense of belonging. But is this situation really unique? When italian catholics starting coming to this country in masses, were they greeted with open arms by the irish and germans? Or were they shunned and forced to build their own parishes in their own community? This topic really fascinates me.
(05-04-2011, 07:51 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: [ -> ]Is it wrong/sinful for irish catholics to prefer to go to mass with other irish catholics? is it wrong for hispanics to prefer to go to mass with other hispanics? Also, before white flight there was great segregation among poles, italians, germans, irish, hispanic, asian, black catholics etc. A lot of these neighborhood churches were basically ethnic churches depending on the demographics of that neighborhood.

Hypothetically is it wrong for lets say an italian catholic in an hispanic neighborhood to drive 20 minutes out of the way to attend  a catholic mass in an italian neighborhood? (Lets pretend its the exact same tridentine mass and language is not an issue)

I bring this issue up because I just heard an audio for a priest I respect very much, Fr. Enrique Rueda (RIP), who also wrote The Homosexual Network. http://cleansingfiredor.com/2011/01/audi...que-rueda/.

Fr. Rueda was highly concerned about the number of hispanic catholics who are leaving for protestantism. He basically said its because the church fails to give them any pastoral guidance or sense of belonging. But is this situation really unique? When italian catholics starting coming to this country in masses, were they greeted with open arms by the irish and germans? Or were they shunned and forced to build their own parishes in their own community? This topic really fascinates me.

Catholics for the most part were immigrants to an established society. So, they often formed communities and because they were often the highest concentration of Catholics, parishes were found in their midst. It was not usually a planned set up. It just happened. A bunch of Irish, Polish, Italian, etc people move to an area where there isn't sufficient a large enough parish, and a new parish is formed.

I would say it is wrong to be hateful in any way to others, however, if there were social reasons to go to a different parish, that is probably alright. To go to an Irish area merely because I don't want to be with a bunch of
EDIT: From reading the post again, I can say that the direct answer to the question "Is it wrong to prefer to go to mass with your own race/ethnicity?" is yes. I was looking at this question from a perspective where the nearer mass happened to be primarily of people who did not speak the same language as the person making the choice.
Hi, Dominic. According to the forum rules:
Quote:4) No discussion of race issues.

I'm not saying you've broken any rules (I'll leave that to the forum moderator), but I just wanted to let you know that this topic has to potential to do so. Maybe you could change the thread title, since your question seems more about different nationalities than about race.  Smile
Depends. If you're third generation American, It is sorta contrived to want to go to Mass with only--say Irish Americans, perhaps. In that instance, not really the Catholic thing to do, I'd think.

i should think that immigrants who have just moved to the US have a valid reason for wanting to stick with there own culture until they get acclimated a little bit.
If its because you're racist and hate whoever you're not going with, then yes.  But the sin is hating those people, not going to mass with the others.  

We go to mass because we are invited to take place in worship and the commemoration of Christs' sacrifice, as well as to witness a miracle.  We don't go/not go because of the people in the pews.
Italians often went back to the "old neighborhood" and that included the Parish Church. I was baptized by the Servites at the Church of the Assumption in Chicago. It was an Italian speaking neighborhood and Church. There were regular American there too. It wasn't monolithic.
As families moved away the Parish ran into financial problems but some sent money to help. Then came Vatican II and the changes. Father Tomaso fought back. He wouldn't say the new Mass. Like minded Italo-Americans came back for Sunday Mass. The Cardinal put pressure on Father Tom, but Fater Tom fought back. He dreamed up a Special Supper for the Politicians and the Rich. He so wowed them with the cooking, they were hooked. He then got their help to push back against the Cardinal. Mayor Daley and his pals were regulars. If the Cardinal wanted some political help, they'd require him to give Father Tom some room. This game went on for some years until the Cardinal got the Servites to call Father Tom back to Rome. He left Chicago. That Parish now has Taize prayer stuff, and no one from the old neighbor hood that I know goes there anymore.

tim 
Judging from this and other posts, you're in for a big lesson from Our Lord.  If you're lucky.

I suggest you start reading the Gospels and stop watching Fox News.  (Start with the parable of the Good Samaritan.  Samaritans were basically human trash as far as the Jews were concerned.)  Archbishop Lefebvre devoted years of his life to living among (gasp!) black Africans.  It's one of the reasons he is a saint.  I'll say a prayer to him for you.
(05-04-2011, 08:14 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]Judging from this and other posts, you're in for a big lesson from Our Lord.  If you're lucky.

I suggest you start reading the Gospels and stop watching Fox News.  (Start with the parable of the Good Samaritan.  Samaritans were basically human trash as far as the Jews were concerned.)  Archbishop Lefebvre devoted years of his life to living among (gasp!) black Africans.  It's one of the reasons he is a saint.  I'll say a prayer to him for you.

First of all, you dont have to lecture me about Arcbhishop Lefebvre. Second of all, I challenge you to find one ounce of racism in this original post that supposedly assaults your imagined politically correct utopia.  Your an immigration lawyer, so you're not exactly unbiased in this issue. You sould disclose that when you write me a smart alec comment.
(05-04-2011, 08:14 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]Judging from this and other posts, you're in for a big lesson from Our Lord.  If you're lucky.

And for the record I don't watch Fox News, but I do read Pat Buchanan.
(05-04-2011, 08:01 PM)Penelope Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, Dominic. According to the forum rules:
Quote:4) No discussion of race issues.

I'm not saying you've broken any rules (I'll leave that to the forum moderator), but I just wanted to let you know that this topic has to potential to do so. Maybe you could change the thread title, since your question seems more about different nationalities than about race.  Smile

This thread is so getting locked once Quis sees it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9