FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Why is Gregorian Chant better than "Gather us In"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2011/05/quaeritur...her-us-in/

Fr. Z reports:
From a reader:

Forgive me my ignorance – I am a relatively new Catholic, coming from the Methodist tradition. Why is Gregorian Chant more appropriate for Mass than “Gather Us In?” I like “Gather Us In.” It is singable even for the unmusical among us, and it reminds us that Jesus calls each of us by name.

As a preamble, music for liturgical worship is not a mere add on or decoration.  It is liturgical worship.  Therefore the texts used should be sacred texts.  The texts of those ditties mentioned in the question are not sacred, liturgical texts.  They are not the prayer of the Church.  Moreover, the music for liturgical worship should be art.  The ditties mentioned above are not art.  In fact, they are at about the level of the theme-song of Gilligan’s Island.  They are not worthy of use in the sacred liturgy.  They are just bad music.

When we sing hymns or ditties in the place of the assigned texts of Mass, we cut the legs out from under our proper liturgical worship and shortchange ourselves, obscuring what Christ the High Priest wants to give us through Holy Church’s choice for our liturgy.

Another view is that the Church herself told us what music should be preferred: Gregorian chant and polyphony.  I think we should do as the Council asked.

If we think we need music of no greater depth than the old Armour hot dog commercial tune in order to feel we are being “called by name” by Jesus, then we are in serious trouble.  Game over.

The ditties mentioned above, and their like, foster a purely immanent sense of God and what goes on during liturgical worship, underscoring a notion that what we do in church is all about what we do and suppressing the essentially important dimension of God’s mystery and transcendence, without which we cannot have true Catholic liturgical worship of God according to the virtue of religion and a properly oriented Catholic identity.

This is all very black and white and brutal, but I wanted to be brief and get out one view of the question.  There are other points of view, which I am sure readers will share.

This’ll be good.

Because "Gather" is flamingly homosexual?
HaHaHa  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
"Gather Us In" is sacred music. You can call it a "ditty" if that's your word for "music that isn't ancient," but it is a sacred ditty.

This is why.

"Sacred" means it's something set apart exclusively for religious use. "Gather Us In" is one of these things. If you don't make use of it in a religious setting, what will you use it for, exactly? "Hot dog jingle" is a creative suggestion, but not realistic. You don't have to use it in your religious setting if you don't want to (and provided that you are somewhat in charge of what's used in your religious setting), but if no one uses it in any religious setting, it just doesn't get used. That's how you know something is "sacred" as opposed to "secular."
(05-06-2011, 01:06 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: [ -> ]Because "Gather" is flamingly homosexual?

ROFL ROFL ROFL
(05-06-2011, 01:57 PM)cooterhein Wrote: [ -> ]"Gather Us In" is sacred music. You can call it a "ditty" if that's your word for "music that isn't ancient," but it is a sacred ditty.

This is why.

"Sacred" means it's something set apart exclusively for religious use. "Gather Us In" is one of these things. If you don't make use of it in a religious setting, what will you use it for, exactly? "Hot dog jingle" is a creative suggestion, but not realistic. You don't have to use it in your religious setting if you don't want to (and provided that you are somewhat in charge of what's used in your religious setting), but if no one uses it in any religious setting, it just doesn't get used. That's how you know something is "sacred" as opposed to "secular."

"Gather Us In" is NOT sacred in a Catholic sense, because the genre of music it uses is NOT set apart for religious use. It is taken from a very dated, secular style of music (i.e. 60s folk), and it superimposes supposedly sacred lyrics. In this sense, "Gather Us In" style music does not have the universal and timeless quality of authentic Catholic liturgical music, which is given to us by the Church, not the world.

Gregorian chant, from a musicological perspective, IS set apart, because it is unlike any secular genre from any age. In fact, other musical genres have often styled themselves after Gregorian chant over the last 20 centuries.

Furthermore, the Church has given us guidance on what constitutes authentic Catholic sacred music, and it has repeatedly held Gregorian chant up as the standard throughout the centuries.
Besides, I hear Protestants just love it.  And contrary to popular belief, we're not Protestants.
Because gregorian chant is a traditional form of music in the Church, formed over the course of centuries, that inclines the faithful to prayer, and also reflects upon our wonderful Catholic culture and identity.
(05-06-2011, 04:24 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-06-2011, 01:57 PM)cooterhein Wrote: [ -> ]"Gather Us In" is sacred music. You can call it a "ditty" if that's your word for "music that isn't ancient," but it is a sacred ditty.

This is why.

"Gather Us In" is NOT sacred in a Catholic sense, because the genre of music it uses is NOT set apart for religious use. It is taken from a very dated, secular style of music (i.e. 60s folk), and it superimposes supposedly sacred lyrics. In this sense, "Gather Us In" style music does not have the universal and timeless quality of authentic Catholic liturgical music, which is given to us by the Church, not the world.

Gregorian chant, from a musicological perspective, IS set apart, because it is unlike any secular genre from any age. In fact, other musical genres have often styled themselves after Gregorian chant over the last 20 centuries.

Furthermore, the Church has given us guidance on what constitutes authentic Catholic sacred music, and it has repeatedly held Gregorian chant up as the standard throughout the centuries.

This.

If sacred only meant what I set apart for religious use, well I could set apart my x-box for sacred use ... so there must be something else to sacred.

Sacred in the Catholic sense is what the Church has always set aside for religious use because of its suitability for use in worship.  This applies to chant, and does not apply to music designed to please and entertain those who are musically illiterate and irritate those who are not.
"Gather Us In" and "All Are Welcome" are what the bad angels sign as you're going down into Hades

----okay, I just kiddin' it's a joke see? Funny joke. I can't help it, I'm being bad.  LOL
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5