FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: My first Latin mass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I finally did it today. I attended my first Latin mass ever (not counting if I was babe in my mothers arms). I quit making excuses and drove the 60 miles to the mass at the only parish in my entire diocese that has a Latin mass community. I went to the low mass, I figured start off slow. God has been calling me to do this for a long time and a friend kicked me in the butt last week and told me to quit putting it off. I must say it was so different than a NO mass. There was no music or singing at all, no sign of peace (thank you) and at the end of mass the priest just walked out with no music. For the first time since I was a boy I received communion on the tongue kneeling....it was so different but I totally loved it and feel such joy in me now. It felt so right. I loved that they had confession before mass, they prayed the rosary and at the end of mass the priest led us in three Hail Marys and the Salve Regina prayer plus the St Micheal prayer. It was awesome to say the least. I was scrambling at times figuring out what was going on but the missal had an English version of what the priest was doing so I think I'll catch on quick. I understand the low mass but the only thing I found odd was confession went on before and during mass. I never saw that before. I'm 47 and its hard to believe that was my first Latin mass. I may have opened Pandoras box because I now find myself wanting to go back next week to the high mass and experience it. It wasn't a bad drive, 90% of it was on the interstate and took about an hour. I feel like I discovered plutonium.... ;D
Welcome home! I can echo most all of what you wrote regarding how you felt. As you get comfortable with the missal and the order of the Mass, your thoughts will turn to fervent prayer. I too face a long drive every Sunday and am only glad that the opportunity itself is available. Great to hear your story!
Thank you.....it was a great experience. No alter girls, no readers, no Eucharistic ministers plus an excellent Homily on the virtues and meaning of confession. I was reading the bulletin and there was a part in there I loved, the priest asked  being that warmer weather is coming to guard against poor dress that cause others to sin and that would be inappropriate to wear in front of God.  LOL that would never happen in my church
Go three weeks in a row.  And yes, go to the high Mass, you'll love it.

As far as confession, one thing you need to detox out of your system is the man-centeredness of the N.O.  The Mass is the propitiatory re-presenting of the Sacrifice of Calvary to God by the priest.  That becomes very evident during the TLM, the priest facing God instead of the people conveys that.

So while it is good and holy for you to follow along and participate interiorly, there is nothing wrong with you going to confession while Mass is going on.  The priest doesn't need you.  You are there to witness what your sins have done (the Passion), but Mass is the priest's job.

Congrats.  Remember, go three times.  After that, going back to the N.O. will make you sick.
I will pass along what my pastor told me. For about the first five weeks, don't worry about the missal. Take in the sights, sounds, and smell. Focus on what is what is happining within the sanctuary. Eventually you can work your way up to following along in the missal, but take the time to become familiar with what is happening during the Mass.
Congratuations!!  You surely made the Angels sing today!  Cheerleader
(05-08-2011, 07:09 PM)tradne4163 Wrote: [ -> ]I will pass along what my pastor told me. For about the first five weeks, don't worry about the missal. Take in the sights, sounds, and smell. Focus on what is what is happining within the sanctuary. Eventually you can work your way up to following along in the missal, but take the time to become familiar with what is happening during the Mass.

Attaboy Rob! I concur with Tradne's comments... that was my experience (first TLM last full, full switch in January 2011). There's too much newness, such that it makes it difficult to not lose your place in the missal until you've seen a few TLM's in order to get a general sense of its structure. The high mass'll probably blow you away!
Thank you all for your advice. I feel like it was my first day of kindergarten. I have been on cloud nine all day. My first thoughts on going there  was to maybe go once a month because of the distance but after today I want more. I prayed to Jesus today if he can provide me the means I will try and go every week.
(05-08-2011, 06:57 PM)James02 Wrote: [ -> ]Remember, go three times.  After that, going back to the N.O. will make you sick.

This is pretty much true. I'd add "in a row" to James' recommendation of going three times. Three Sundays in a row and you'll never want to attend a Novus Ordo Mass again. Unfortunately if you find yourself stuck at the N.O. as I often do, things can get a little frustrating--which is why I come hang out at Fish Eaters all the time.

By the way, welcome, Rob. I hope you enjoy your time at Fish Eaters!
(05-08-2011, 08:03 PM)Penelope Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-08-2011, 06:57 PM)James02 Wrote: [ -> ]Remember, go three times.  After that, going back to the N.O. will make you sick.

This is pretty much true. I'd add "in a row" to James' recommendation of going three times. Three Sundays in a row and you'll never want to attend a Novus Ordo Mass again. Unfortunately if you find yourself stuck at the N.O. as I often do, things can get a little frustrating--which is why I come hang out at Fish Eaters all the time.

By the way, welcome, Rob. I hope you enjoy your time at Fish Eaters!

I think it was about 3 times that did it for me. I went back to the NO and had a "wonderful" African Mass with dancing girls...It didn't even feel like I went to Mass so I stayed after that travesty and went to the TLM and had a real Mass.

Pages: 1 2