FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Movie "There Be Dragons"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I saw this new movie today about the life of Saint Josemaria Escriva . It was very good I think you all will enjoy it. Anybody here a member of Opus Dei? Can they give us an idea what Saint Escriva was trying to do?
I believe Devoted Knuckles, while never a member of Opus Dei, was a regular at one of their centers or received spiritual direction from their priests.

I have also had considerable exposure to Opus Dei, but was never more than a "cooperator."  I have reservations about some aspects of Opus Dei, but I must affirm the traditional aspects (which do exist).

If you want to understand Opus Dei, I recommend their Web site:  http://opusdei.org

SSPX condemns them, partly on the false charge that they admit people of other religions as members.  In fact, they only allow non-Catholics to be "cooperators," who are not really members.  "Cooperators" are merely allowed to come to talks, receive some spiritual directioin and, most importantly, make lots of financial contributions! 
I was told by somebody who knew Josemaria pre Vatican 2 that he was very traditional but since the Council liberalism has seeped into the movement, I wouldn't be surprised at that. If it has then that's the reason Opus Dei hasn't been changing the world as the Saint wanted. Unbelief and watering down always destroy's good movements.
That is  correct
I was never a member but I did for ywas recieve spiritual direction from opus dei. And am fimilare enough with them and their chsrism
it's a vocation.
Here is a link to all the Founders (St Josemaria Escriva"s) writings online
hghly  recommend the way, the forget and forrow

bt all r great
there is also a 3 volume set th life ofnthe founder which is amazing for it's rigourus detail. The second volume deals with the Founder in slain being hired during  the civil war
Link to  Founders  writings
http://www.escrivaworks.org/

(05-09-2011, 07:44 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]I was told by somebody who knew Josemaria pre Vatican 2 that he was very traditional but since the Council liberalism has seeped into the movement, I wouldn't be surprised at that. If it has then that's the reason Opus Dei hasn't been changing the world as the Saint wanted. Unbelief and watering down always destroy's good movements.

If there is one word that I would not apply to Opus Dei and its members, it's "unbelief."  That's just not fair.  They are not "liberal," either.

I question black-and-white thinking when it comes to this group.  Opus Dei fosters love of Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament, orthodox moral teaching, prayer, and, most characteristically, the offering of one's work to God as a way of holiness.  This is traditional.  (See How to Pray Always by Fr. Plus, available at the FSSP site.)  Yes, in the past, it has sometimes engaged in tactics that definitely register in the yellow zone on the cult-o-meter.  Can we acknowledge that -- and be wary of it -- while appreciating the good?  There are thousands of people whose life in Christ depends on the formation they receive from Opus Dei.

My prayer is that Opus Dei begins offering the traditional Mass to all of its members.  I also hope that it continues to shed the cultish expedients that have marred it.
Very true. The yea I was recieving direction and sometimes daily in the center I never once even rubbed shoulders with a libtard
my director was confedent that the TLM would be restored
as he said as much in those acguall words to me.
Anyway
mlthe best advice o can give is contact a centre near you. Usually on a campus in my experience for mailed Anyway. Of course theirs rhe bohemeth in new York
anyway
contact then and go heck them out. Better then anything u csn hear here
mmm
sip
I appreciate the time you guys have taken to explain Opus Dei. I had heard of them, but never really knew how they fit into orthodox Catholicism. With this, was the movie historically accurate? Were the Church, los Requetes and the nationalists portrayed objectively, or did Hollywood take liberties to create monsters to further etch into the modern mind the mendacities of Holy Mother Church and her persecutions?
I know a dude who's OD and he's totally libtard.  He even voted for Jimmy Carter.
I've been thinking about them too but didn't know what to think.  I love the devotion to hard work and to God.  I am completely ignorant on them and "what I've read on the internet" makes me need to clear up things like:  do they care more for themselves and getting lots of money or for doing God's work, is it a Cult that will harm you and rip you from your family, is it now close to the charismatic movement and not traditional any longer?  These are random things you read on the interent from "dissatisfied" people that left the organization.  Of course, that is just listening to 1 side, and a disgruntled enough side to leave it in the first place, so you never really can trust what you read on the internet.

interesting.
Pages: 1 2 3