FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Honoring your father and mother.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
If my parents and I are not on speaking terms, should I refrain from receiving Holy Communion? I tried to work things out but they refuse to talk to me. So, I guess with this scenario, I should be ok since I tried my best to make peace.

However (strictly hypothetical), what if my parents tried to make peace and I did not want to speak to them? What if they were the cause for the dispute and I was so angry with them that I did not want to talk to them? Communion or no?
Interesting topic. 
(05-10-2011, 04:22 PM)damooster Wrote: [ -> ]If my parents and I are not on speaking terms, should I refrain from receiving Holy Communion? I tried to work things out but they refuse to talk to me. So, I guess with this scenario, I should be ok since I tried my best to make peace.

However (strictly hypothetical), what if my parents tried to make peace and I did not want to speak to them? What if they were the cause for the dispute and I was so angry with them that I did not want to talk to them? Communion or no?

I think it's impossible to answer without more details.  Hypothetical details might suffice for a hypothetical answer.
(05-10-2011, 04:22 PM)damooster Wrote: [ -> ]If my parents and I are not on speaking terms, should I refrain from receiving Holy Communion? I tried to work things out but they refuse to talk to me. So, I guess with this scenario, I should be ok since I tried my best to make peace.

If they were reaching out my guess would be that you should honor their effort and forgive if necessary.

you do what is right with your parents and let God take care of the rest.

If you're second-guessing yourself ask a priest or your spiritual director.
(05-10-2011, 04:39 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]

I think it's impossible to answer without more details.  Hypothetical details might suffice for a hypothetical answer.

Fair enough. It's petty though.

My parents started bombarding me with text messages on Mother's Day asking why I had not sent a text message or called my mom to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. Now, I could understand if it was like 9 PM, but they started their barrage at noon (12:02 PM to be exact). I tried to call and explain that I was up until 2:30 AM that morning, finishing up a paper, that I almost overslept and missed Mass, and I planned on calling her when I got back from Mass. But they refused to take my calls and they told me through text message that they did not want to see me.

Even though I was ticked off that they were bombarding me like this at noon, I tried to yield and I begged for an opportunity to see her but they never responded.

If/when they decide to talk (it will be a while), I just don't feel like talking to them. I have two younger siblings who don't do crap for them on days like this and I'm the one that throws down $300 for dinner ($700 once) for 3 whenever it's their birthday/Mother's Day/anniversary etc. The fact that they want to treat me like that because I didn't call or text before noon is stupid and I don't want to talk to them. They're always doing stuff like this to me and I'm tired of it!
(05-10-2011, 04:54 PM)damooster Wrote: [ -> ]My parents started bombarding me with text messages on Mother's Day asking why I had not sent a text message or called my mom to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. Now, I could understand if it was like 9 PM, but they started their barrage at noon (12:02 PM to be exact). I tried to call and explain that I was up until 2:30 AM that morning, finishing up a paper, that I almost overslept and missed Mass, and I planned on calling her when I got back from Mass. But they refused to take my calls and they told me through text message that they did not want to see me.

Even though I was ticked off that they were bombarding me like this at noon, I tried to yield and I begged for an opportunity to see her but they never responded.

If/when they decide to talk (it will be a while), I just don't feel like talking to them. I have two younger siblings who don't do crap for them on days like this and I'm the one that throws down $300 for dinner ($700 once) for 3 whenever it's their birthday/Mother's Day/anniversary etc. The fact that they want to treat me like that because I didn't call or text before noon is stupid and I don't want to talk to them. They're always doing stuff like this to me and I'm tired of it!

Wow, sounds like crazy GF behavior more than parental behavior!

Basically, since they are your parents, I think you should do your best to be extra kind.  Make sure your last word (not "the last word" but yours) is that you care about them, love them, you didn't call early because you had to be up late and you are sorry about, you want to see them whenever they want to have you.  And then leave it at that, don't get sucked into a fight.

You didn't do anything wrong to start with, so don't do something wrong in response to their provocation.

Then what else can you do?  That is honoring your mother and father, IMHO.  It's impossible for you to reach into their minds to make them think differently, you can just be reasonable and say, "well I want to see you, so if you don't want to see me now fine, just let me know, and I'll take you guys out.  You can be mad, I love you anyway, I don't feel like being mad, later."
My priest said that honoring one's parents means not to gossip about them and to pray for their salvation.  He said that the commandment does not require us to have an ongoing relationship with them if doing so is painful.

Damooster, I recommend Googling "personality disorders", particularly Borderline Personality Disorder and seeing if any of the signs sound familiar. 
(05-10-2011, 06:07 PM)GraceSeeker Wrote: [ -> ]My priest said that honoring one's parents means not to gossip about them and to pray for their salvation.  He said that the commandment does not require us to have an ongoing relationship with them if doing so is painful.

Damooster, I recommend Googling "personality disorders", particularly Borderline Personality Disorder and seeing if any of the signs sound familiar. 

There's definitely a borderline flavor to the story, but it's odd that both parents are reacting in the same way, no?  I'd expect one parent to be that way and the other parent to try to compensate.
How do you respond when you're parents yell at you for not going to the Novus Ordo Mass on Mother's Day, claiming I am disrespecting them and acting "holier than thou"  by not going?
(05-10-2011, 06:41 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: [ -> ]How do you respond when you're parents yell at you for not going to the Novus Ordo Mass on Mother's Day, claiming I am disrespecting them and acting "holier than thou"  by not going?

Go to both. That's what I had to do.

I'm assuming you mean that your mother wanted you to go to the Novus Ordo with her, of course, which is also what my mother wanted from me last Sunday. So I obliged, but I told her I was also going to the TLM instead of to my grandparents' house. It was a compromise that she just had to live with.
Pages: 1 2 3 4