FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Good novenas for soon-to-be-priests?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,
My uncle gets ordained a priest (Novus Ordo) on the 21st of May!  So, I was wondering, anyone know of some good novenas that would be good to pray in the run-up to the ordination?  If so, please let me know!  Smile
St. John Vianney Is the patron of the priesthood, and has these beautiful prayers:

I love You, O my God, and my only desire is to love You until the last breath of my life.
I love You, O my infinitely lovable God,
and I would rather die loving You, than live without loving You.
I love You, Lord, and the only grace I ask is to love You eternally
My God, if my tongue cannot say in every moment that I love You,
I want my heart to repeat it to You as often as I draw breath.

-----

Dear Saint John Vianney, your childhood dream was to be a Priest, to win souls for God. You endured years of toil and humiliation to attain the Priesthood. You became a Priest truly after God's own heart, outstanding in humulity and poverty; prayer and mortification. Totally devoted to the service of God's people. The Church has exalted you as model and patron saint of all Parish Priest, trusting that your example and prayers will help them to live up to the high dignity of their vocation to be faithful servants of God's people, to be perfect imitators of Christ the Savior Who came not to be served but to serve, to give His Life in ransom for many.

Pray that God may give to His Church today many more Priests after His own Heart. Pray for all the Priests under your patronage, that they may be worthy representatives of Christ the Good Shepherd. May they wholeheartedly devote themselves to prayer and penance; be examples of humility and poverty; shining modelss of holiness; tireless and powerful preachers of the Word of God; zealous dispensers of God's Grace in the Sacraments. May their loving devotion to Jesus in the Eucharist and to Mary His Mother be the Twin Fountains of fruitfulness for their ministry. Amen.

-----
Im not sure if there are any Novena's though  Shrug
If you can't find one specifically on point (you can always pray the prayers K3vinhood provided for 9 days), I'd recommend the novena to the Sacred Heart. Your intention could be that Christ will make your uncle a priest and shepherd after His own Heart.

http://www.ewtn.com/devotionals/heart/sh_novena.htm

Why don't you pray a Litany of the Saints as a  novena? 
It is always a good thing to pray to the Holy Ghost. To that end reciting or singing the Veni, Creator Spiritus for nine days before would be a good thing to do!
I shall pray for him.
I forgot to add that you should make a Novena to St.Joseph.  Since he is the protector of Holy Mother Church he for sure is a protector of priests
I don't know of any specific novena for priests, but the Novena to the Sacred Heart of Jesus is one of my favorites (and apparently one of Padre Pio's). God bless your uncle. How old is he?

Novena to the Sacred Heart of Jesus

O my Jesus, you have said: "Truly I say to you, ask and you will receive, seek and you will find, knock and it will be opened to you." Behold I knock, I seek and ask for the grace of...... (here name your request)
Our Father....Hail Mary....Glory Be to the Father....Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place all my trust in you.

O my Jesus, you have said: "Truly I say to you, if you ask anything of the Father in my name, he will give it to you." Behold, in your name, I ask the Father for the grace of.......(here name your request) Our Father...Hail Mary....Glory Be To the Father....Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place all my trust in you.

O my Jesus, you have said: "Truly I say to you, heaven and earth will pass away but my words will not pass away." Encouraged by your infallible words I now ask for the grace of.....(here name your request) Our Father....Hail Mary....Glory Be to the Father...Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place all my trust in you.

O Sacred Heart of Jesus, for whom it is impossible not to have compassion on the afflicted, have pity on us miserable sinners and grant us the grace which we ask of you, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, your tender Mother and ours. Say the Hail, Holy Queen and add: St. Joseph, foster father of Jesus, pray for us.

Congrats!  Pray Pray Pray

Pray 9 days to La Inmaculada! but i don't have any anglo version... sorry =(

She is the Mother of Priesthood  Smile