FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Light of the World/ Pope Benedict XVI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone read "Light of the World?" Was this passage really in there?

We have to be very careful. As unfortunate as the extreme left can be, the heresies in the Church have always come from the right. The extreme left have always been rather faddish movements that have come and gone. The extreme right movements have ben led by people with a lot of issues with scrupples. Their scrupulosity led them out the door. They were not evil people and we should not judge them as such. They were people who lacked trust in the leadership of the Church in times of crisis. They opted to go with what they believed to be the right thing to do and they ended up on a slippery slope from which they did not recover.
I haven't read the book, but this quote has some merit historically. I don't know if I would use the terms "right" and "left" as it's hard to categorize pre-French Revolution ideas with that kind of dichotomy, but a lot of heresies were essentially reactions to bad Catholics that went way overboard. From the schism of St. Hippolytus (who was later reconciled and martyred) and the Donatists, to the Spirituals, to the Concilliarists, Protestants and Jansenists, they were all motivated--at the very least as a pretext--by a crisis of Catholics, especially churchmen, of not being the light they should have been.  That doesn't justify the heresy, if anything it makes those providing the motivation also guilty of scandal, because there is a correct alternative and it is the great Saints who reacted to such crises with true faith and humility and brought about true and authentic reform.
But I think St. Dominic is asking or maybe suggesting that the extreme "right" of the Catholic Church, like the SSPX and others are, or soon will, degenerate into heresy too.

It seems implied that "the left" are the goats or the damned, and "the right" are the just. In this crisis, since 1965, "the right" is not telling the truth about Vatican II because it wanted to preserve Latin, not destroy it. "The left" is also not telling the truth when it claims that Vatican II said to abandon tradition and establish these ugly, bland, new masses.

Based on what I've seen, both sides are full of liars and deceivers, and both sides have good people too. Every church established before 1970 should offer at least 1 Latin Mass, and others built after this should at least have the option. However, all churches should be beautiful and reverent, and all churches should have the same moral code. I'm sick of marriage anullments by "catholics."  >sad
I have a copy of this book although I haven't read it yet. I'll look for the passage this evening.
I don't think it can be said of all heresies, for certainly Modernism, the sythesis of all heresies, comes from the left. 
Vat. II allows completely vulgar Masses with zero Latin.  The problem with Vat. II are the loop holes and the ambiguity.

A vulgar Mass is a Mass of Vat. II.
(05-12-2011, 11:01 PM)James02 Wrote: [ -> ]Vat. II allows completely vulgar Masses with zero Latin.  The problem with Vat. II are the loop holes and the ambiguity.

A vulgar Mass is a Mass of Vat. II.

Rather it's a No-Mass.

Rather it's a mess.
That text is from post 45 here... A Franciscan Brother wrote it...
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.ph...959&page=3

One of his signature "warnings" about the SSPX .  Rolling eyes
(05-12-2011, 11:33 PM)Dominus est Wrote: [ -> ]That text is from post 45 here... A Franciscan Brother wrote it...
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.ph...959&page=3

One of his signature "warnings" about the SSPX .  Rolling eyes

Ya I know thats why I posted it.
"Vat. II allows completely vulgar Masses with zero Latin.  The problem with Vat. II are the loop holes and the ambiguity.

A vulgar Mass is a Mass of Vat. II."

I know, those loopholes are terrible. I agree. I'm just saying that I've met good, reverent people on both sides and creeps on both sides too.
And not all of the new masses are degenerate. Some of them still look beautiful.