FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Why was cremation not allowed pre-vatican II?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
What were the reasons why cremation was never acceptable before Vatican II?
Catholic Enclyclopedia:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04481c.htm

Quote:The legislation of the Church in forbidding cremation rests on strong motives; for cremation in the majority of cases today is knit up with circumstances that make of it a public profession of irreligion and materialism. It was the Freemasons who first obtained official recognition of this practice from various governments. The campaign opened in Italy, the first attempts being made by Brunetti, at Padua, in 1873. Numerous societies were founded after this, at Dresden, Zurich, London, Paris. In the last city a crematory was established at Pere Lachaise, on the passing of the law of 1889 dealing with freedom of funeral rites. The Church has opposed from the beginning a practice which has been used chiefly by the enemies of the Christian Faith. Reasons based on the spirit of Christian charity and the plain interests of humanity have but strengthened her in her opposition. She holds it unseemly that the human body, once the living temple of God, the instrument of heavenly virtue, sanctified so often by the sacraments, should finally be subjected to a treatment that filial piety, conjugal and fraternal love, or even mere friendship seems to revolt against as inhuman. Another argument against cremation, and drawn from medico-legal sources, lies in this: That cremation destroys all signs of violence or traces of poison, and makes examination impossible, whereas a judicial autopsy is always possible after inhumation, even of some months.
K3vinhood,

Wow, good reply! I stopped my sister from being cremated and I'm glad.  Smile

"She holds it unseemly that the human body, once the living temple of God, the instrument of heavenly virtue, sanctified so often by the sacraments, should finally be subjected to a treatment that filial piety, conjugal and fraternal love, or even mere friendship seems to revolt against as inhuman"

I don't see why a body eaten by worms and bacterias is treated in a less inhuman way than by the purifying fire.
It was often used as an implicit challenge (denial) of the resurrection of the body. It then became popular. The materialists embraced it; the world accepted it; so, too, it seems, did Rome.

The rest, as they say, is history.
(05-12-2011, 05:01 PM)maso Wrote: [ -> ]"She holds it unseemly that the human body, once the living temple of God, the instrument of heavenly virtue, sanctified so often by the sacraments, should finally be subjected to a treatment that filial piety, conjugal and fraternal love, or even mere friendship seems to revolt against as inhuman"

I don't see why a body eaten by worms and bacterias is treated in a less inhuman way than by the purifying fire.
No willfullness of man involved
I could never get this one. If you believe your god made you from dust, why can he not reform you from dust?

Also as my uncle likes to say on cremation: "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. They are just gettin' there faster."
(05-12-2011, 05:55 PM)AuberonDraenenWen Wrote: [ -> ]I could never get this one. If you believe your god made you from dust, why can he not reform you from dust?

Also as my uncle likes to say on cremation: "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. They are just gettin' there faster."

Of course He can.  It's not that.

It's that cremation historically was associated with denial of the Resurrection.

Today the Church allows it as long as that is not the reason.

In some places it is for space reasons, e.g. in Japan even the Orthodox allow cremation (and they don't allow it anywhere else) because there isn't the space for cemetaries.
(05-12-2011, 05:55 PM)AuberonDraenenWen Wrote: [ -> ]I could never get this one. If you believe your god made you from dust, why can he not reform you from dust?

no willfullnes of man
And if it was abhored by Holy mother Church for well of 19 centurys...who the heck are we to embrace it now? Are we holier, wiserHuh?
Cremation is an abomination and a Zionist masonic cultic ritual except in cases of drastic necessity (natural disaster or plague)
(05-12-2011, 05:56 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]

Of course He can.  It's not that.

It's that cremation historically was associated with denial of the Resurrection.

Today the Church allows it as long as that is not the reason.

In some places it is for space reasons, e.g. in Japan even the Orthodox allow cremation (and they don't allow it anywhere else) because there isn't the space for cemetaries.

ahhh I was still told it wasn't allowed for any reason.
Pages: 1 2 3 4