FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Why do Pre-Vatican II Catholics Dislike the TLM?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Something I have noticed is that it seems that the vast majority of people I know attending the TLM were born after Vatican II.  In fact, the crowd at my church is surprisingly young.  However, on the flip side is that when I have attended the NO, particularly during the weekday, the vast majority of people present clearly were born before Vatican II. 

When I have mentioned to people born after Vatican II that I have begun attending the TLM the response is usually curiosity (which is good!).  When I have mentioned to people who grew up with the TLM that I have begun attending the TLM the response is usually that I am insane.  Very few of the older Catholics that I know seem to have fond memories of the TLM.

Anyway I was curious if any of you have noticed this as well....and any theories as to why this is the case? 
Personally, I've noticed the opposite. At the FSSP parish I used to attend the average age was death, but at all the NOs I've attended, it's young, generally, or mid 40s to 60s, the hippy generation, naturally.
(05-13-2011, 01:12 AM)LausTibiChriste Wrote: [ -> ]At the FSSP parish I used to attend the average age was death

lol
I think it's that the current old people were impressionable youth when the NO came about and thus were swayed easily toward modernism.  Now that they're old and cranky, they don't want to change back for one reason or another.  However, some people became cranky before becoming old and those were the ones that refused to go along with the NO.  Hehe.
Quote: I think it's that the current old people were impressionable youth when the NO came about and thus were swayed easily toward modernism.  Now that they're old and cranky, they don't want to change back for one reason or another.  However, some people became cranky before becoming old and those were the ones that refused to go along with the NO.  Hehe.

LOL Yes, it could be because we were young and impressionable when the NO was introduced, and most young people then (baby boomers) were eager for change in the 1960s. But they were still following the lead of the clergy. That's what Pre-VII Catholics did. 

Now the NO is the Mass they grew up with or have grown accustomed to. And now these same folks are retired or semiretired and already in the habit of attending daily Mass. There aren't enough TLMs that are offered "daily" in the diocese... yet.

And many Catholics, especially older ones, don't feel "safe" venturing outside the diocesan perimeters. If more diocesan parishes offered the Latin Mass, and more bishops and priests showed interest, you might see a different attitude in the people too. 
(05-13-2011, 02:19 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]Now the NO is the Mass they grew up with or have grown accustomed to. And now these same folks are retired or semiretired and already in the habit of attending daily Mass. There aren't enough TLMs that are offered "daily" in the diocese... yet.

And many Catholics, especially older ones, don't feel "safe" venturing outside the diocesan perimeters. If more diocesan parishes offered the Latin Mass, and more bishops and priests showed interest, you might see a different attitude in the people too. 

In my parish we offer both the TLM and NO daily.  However, only one of the priests is qualified to do the TLM, so if he is out of town there is no TLM, and hence I have to go to the NO.

At the TLM...I would say the average age is....37.  At the NO its about 82. 
Thats certainly the case from my vantage point. At my old  NO parish the average age I would say is 60s at the TLM is got to be around mid 30s. The way I like to measure it is by looking at people heads and seeing how many have gray hair. I can count in one hand the gray heads at my TLM.
(05-13-2011, 02:34 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]Thats certainly the case from my vantage point. At my old  NO parish the average age I would say is 60s at the TLM is got to be around mid 30s. The way I like to measure it is by looking at people heads and seeing how many have gray hair. I can count in one hand the gray heads at my TLM.

Forget about gray hair. When I attend the daily NO mass I am the only one who doesn't have white hair!
(05-13-2011, 02:42 AM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-13-2011, 02:34 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]Thats certainly the case from my vantage point. At my old  NO parish the average age I would say is 60s at the TLM is got to be around mid 30s. The way I like to measure it is by looking at people heads and seeing how many have gray hair. I can count in one hand the gray heads at my TLM.

Forget about gray hair. When I attend the daily NO mass I am the only one who doesn't have white hair!

That's because most daily Mass goers are retired! It has always been that way.
(05-13-2011, 02:44 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-13-2011, 02:42 AM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]

That's because most daily Mass goers are retired! It has always been that way.

This is true, but then why is there a younger crowd at the daily TLM? I know this shouldn't affect me...but I do feel more comfortable not being the only person under 60 at mass!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6