FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Protesting Speaker John Boehner.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Don't know if you guys and gals saw this, but there is an on-line petition being touted by 75 "Catholic" professors who don't want Speaker Boehner to give the Commencement Address at Catholic University tomorrow. Their reasoning? They're not happy that Speaker Boehner has cut so many funds to "necessary" social programs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/12/us/12c...f=politics
Quote:More than 75 professors at Catholic University and other prominent Catholic colleges have written a pointed letter to Mr. Boehner saying that the Republican-supported budget he shepherded through the House will hurt the poor, the elderly and the vulnerable, and that he therefore has failed to uphold basic Catholic moral teachings.

“Mr. Speaker, your voting record is at variance from one of the church’s most ancient moral teachings,” the letter says. “From the apostles to the present, the magisterium of the church has insisted that those in power are morally obliged to preference the needs of the poor. Your record in support of legislation to address the desperate needs of the poor is among the worst in Congress. This fundamental concern should have great urgency for Catholic policy makers. Yet, even now, you work in opposition to it.”

I found out about this because my friend said this was talked about on the O'Reilly Factor. One of the professors that is on the petition kept invoking Catholic distributive justice. Where were these people when Obama was invited to speak at Notre Dame?
My liberal relatives are all behind these dissenters.  It makes me so sad.  They like to say, oh, what about the immigrant and the poor and the hungry and so on. Yeah.  Like they do so much. Do these folks from their nice homes and comfy job in academia work in soup kitchens? I have. Do they visit the lonely, the elderly, the sick and the dying? I do. What immigrants are they supporting? None, I bet.  All those things are really straw men anyway because the issue is the killing of the unborn.  And so I propose that the 363 million dollars of taxpayer monies that are used for that purpose go to help the hungry, the homeless, etc.

And I pray at the abortion mill as well. May it close.
Magdalene's post touches on my point a little. It's more about Modernism than helping the poor. If Boehner were a sexually active (I mean "openly") gay man that supported abortion and gay marriage, everything would be perfectly fine as far as those professors are concerned.
Quote: One of the professors that is on the petition kept invoking Catholic distributive justice.

A professor said this?  What a moron.  This is an amateurish mistake.  What happens is that very specific Catholic terms over time take on different meanings in the laity.  So for example, the Cardinal Virtue of Prudence.  Someone who is "prudent" in our everyday usage is someone who is "pragmatic".  However, "prudent" in the Catholic sense means "conforming oneself to reality".  So many times being "prudent" is being the exact opposite of "pragmatic", especially considering reality means God exists and He has His laws we must follow.  So if a Marxist points a gun at you and asks if you believe in Jesus, it would be "pragmatic" to say no, but "prudent" to say yes.

So getting back to the moron.  Distributive Justice has nothing to do with wage disparity, the economy, relief for the poor, marxist retirement and old age health programs, etc....  Distributive Justice pertains to PUBLIC goods and services.  For example, it can be argued that taxing the rich more for things like street lights and roads is an offense against Distributive Justice (it is), since they are getting the same use of these PUBLIC services as someone not as rich.  Distributive Justice suggests that a moral tax is the poll tax, where everyone pays the same dollar amount.  I argue that since the rich have more property to protect, that any tax should be a flat percentage, like a sales tax.  But I digress.

As pertains to the poor, a key concept in Distributive Justice has to do with the courts.  A poor man should get the exact same treatment as the rich man.

Anyhow, that is distributive justice, and whoever accused Boehner of violating it is a moron who shouldn't be teaching on these topics.  They need to spend some time reading St. Thomas.