FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Positive Response by Priest to TLM Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, well.  The other day I think I had an experience that a lot of people would be envious of.  I approached a priest and point blank asked him if he'd be willing to learn the TLM.  His answer was "I'd be willing to try.  When is this next workshop?"  While I knew this priest to be very orthodox and friendly to those of more traditional mind, it was still a surprise to get such a direct "yes" to my question.  The sad part is that this priest won't be able to help at my own parish, though it's certainly great news for the members of his own.  Please keep him in your prayers that he perseveres with his intention.  I will be doing what I can to aid him.

So.  Anyone else have an experience like this?
(05-13-2011, 01:07 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote: [ -> ]Well, well.   The other day I think I had an experience that a lot of people would be envious of.   I approached a priest and point blank asked him if he'd be willing to learn the TLM.   His answer was "I'd be willing to try.  When is this next workshop?"  While I knew this priest to be very orthodox and friendly to those of more traditional mind, it was still a surprise to get such a direct "yes" to my question.   The sad part is that this priest won't be able to help at my own parish, though it's certainly great news for the members of his own.   Please keep him in your prayers that he perseveres with his intention.   I will be doing what I can to aid him.

So.  Anyone else have an experience like this?

That is fantastic.  You have given me courage, I will emulate you in this and ask priests I know.  I think I might ask some priests who I know would say "no," just to give them something to think about anyway.
(05-13-2011, 01:07 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote: [ -> ]So.  Anyone else have an experience like this?

Yes, the priest at my local NO was much like that.  However with all his duties, he kept putting off attending the workshop.  What seemed to get him past that was some pro-TLM parishioners donating money earmarked for his training.  I suspect that accepting the donation gave him the sense of obligation he needed to make the time for it.
(05-13-2011, 01:19 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-13-2011, 01:07 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote: [ -> ]So.  Anyone else have an experience like this?

Yes, the priest at my local NO was much like that.  However with all his duties, he kept putting off attending the workshop.  What seemed to get him past that was some pro-TLM parishioners donating money earmarked for his training.  I suspect that accepting the donation gave him the sense of obligation he needed to make the time for it.

I know a family that is willing to pay for the workshop and so the priest knows about this.  Perhaps, it, too, will help him stay committed to what he's said.  He told me that he has plenty of spare time as his little parish doesn't demand a lot from him, so time isn't an issue.
(05-13-2011, 01:27 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote: [ -> ]

I know a family that is willing to pay for the workshop and so the priest knows about this.  Perhaps, it, too, will help him stay committed to what he's said.   He told me that he has plenty of spare time as his little parish doesn't demand a lot from him, so time isn't an issue.

NO parish priest !?  spare time !?  Amazing.
(05-13-2011, 01:29 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]

I know a family that is willing to pay for the workshop and so the priest knows about this.  Perhaps, it, too, will help him stay committed to what he's said.   He told me that he has plenty of spare time as his little parish doesn't demand a lot from him, so time isn't an issue.

Unless you have a pro traditional bishop you might not want to mention anything to the Bishop. The Bishop will surely make sure this priest suddenly gets inundated with work if he finds out he wants to learn the TLM.

He works for the diocese but is not diocesan.   I think that may explain the "spare time" for anything other than NO stuff!
(05-13-2011, 01:32 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]

Unless you have a pro traditional bishop you might not want to mention anything to the Bishop. The Bishop will surely make sure this priest suddenly gets inundated with work if he finds out he wants to learn the TLM.

No worries.  My diocese doesn't have a bishop.  ;D
(05-13-2011, 01:27 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote: [ -> ]I know a family that is willing to pay for the workshop and so the priest knows about this.  Perhaps, it, too, will help him stay committed to what he's said.   He told me that he has plenty of spare time as his little parish doesn't demand a lot from him, so time isn't an issue.

My sense was that actually giving the money (as opposed to saying they were willing to) made a difference to my priest's level of commitment.  But this might not be an issue if this priest you know  feels he has plenty of spare time.  Maybe you can keep this strategy in reserve in case he seems to be delaying unduly.
Hey... I am a little envious...

There is a priest around here who wants to learn the TLM, but the bishop won't let him, and he is not the ballsiest priest around.

The priests who celebrate the TLM in a neighboring diocese are all very busy. Thus, it is celebrated only twice a month, and sometimes it is cancelled.

I think I'm going to ask one priest what he thinks about the TLM. He gives Bible classes for the diocese. Not a trad, he, as far as I know, yet he made a veiled reference to the old Mass in one of his presentations (he said that the Mass had elements from the old Jewish rituals described in the Old Testament, specially before the post-conciliar changes). This same presentation he ended with Psalm 42, of all psalms. So... you never know.

Anyway, this is great news for Kankakee.

edit: Lucky you, not having a bishop!  LOL

The sad emoticons are too melodramatic, had to remove them...
Pages: 1 2