FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: A sprig of leaves in back of the crucifix?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 451px-huysmans1.jpg]
I would like to have used a better picture^

I've seen this done in many religious paintings and I do this myself, but what is the meaning and origin?

... ni idea  Huh? Huh?

But indeed it will be interesting to know.
I think it may have to do wit hthe cross being the "Tree of Life"?

From the google searches I've done it seems to be a combination of things.  I am kind of inferring its an Irish thing and you're right about it and the tree of life.

I didn't find much.  Shrug
Not sure about the ones in the picture but do you mean when people put blessed palms behind a crucifix or painting? They get those on Palm Sunday and it's a way of displaying them, since they're sacramentals.
(05-14-2011, 02:10 PM)ketchum Wrote: [ -> ]I think it may have to do wit hthe cross being the "Tree of Life"?

mmmm that's a good one
That's a cool picture of J.K. Huysmans. What I think is being shown here is what is commonly done with palms (or in this case: olive branches) after Palm Sunday. In Rome and throughout western Europe, olive branches are commonly used in lieu of palms on Palm Sunday. In the Slavic traditions of the East, you may even see evergreen sprigs being used.

Anywho, it is common for Catholics (myself included) to place blessed palms behind the primary crucifix of their home since they are in fact sacramentals. Huysman appears to be doing the same, but instead of palms, he's using blessed olive branches.

... However the tree of life analogy is a beautiful one.  Smile

(05-14-2011, 08:15 PM)Joshua Wrote: [ -> ]That's a cool picture of J.K. Huysmans. What I think is being shown here is what is commonly done with palms (or in this case: olive branches) after Palm Sunday. In Rome and throughout western Europe, olive branches are commonly used in lieu of palms on Palm Sunday. In the Slavic traditions of the East, you may even see evergreen sprigs being used.

Anywho, it is common for Catholics (myself included) to place blessed palms behind the primary crucifix of their home since they are in fact sacramentals. Huysman appears to be doing the same, but instead of palms, he's using blessed olive branches.

... However the tree of life analogy is a beautiful one.  Smile

Verry interesting  Smile

Talking about the use of the palms here an example of what we do here in my home:
[Image: domingo+de+ramos+palmas.JPG]

Some people here mount the palms above the doors to their houses. Mostly found in villages, it looks quite nice.

And... I can't see a picture of Huysmans without thinking of monstrous, devouring nidulariums....

[Image: nidularium.jpg]