FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Anglicans in Conflict: Can a Freemason be a Christian?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anglicans in Conflict: Can a Freemason be a Christian?
London (kath.net/KAP) After the naming of a Freemason to Bishop the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, is once again coming under criticism.[He once apologized to them] From a report at the "Sunday Telegraph", the leading members and clergy of the General Synod of the Anglican Church criticized the decision to name Jonathan Baker as the Bishop of Ebbsfleet. There have been "serious conflicts between the organization and the Anglican Church", he said.

Baker would be a "flying Bishop" to care for the faithful, who are opposed to women's ordination and are still in the Anglican Church. According to information from the newspaper Baker let it be known shortly after his naming to renounce his membership in the Masonic Lodge this Sunday. He gave his grounds as being his desire to concentrate on his new appointment. Yet previously, he affirmed that his membership with the Freemasons are compatible with his Episcopal Office.

Williams has indicated in the past on various occasions that he has serious reservations about the compatibility of Freemasons and Christianity, for example, at a General Synod in 1987. The bout then, however, did not come to a conclusion.

http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2011...on-be.html
Poor protestants.
Most Freemasons have been Protestants.

It's not like it's anything new.
No kidding
Thank goodness I'm currently leaving the CofE  Smile

The ironic thing is is that this 'bishops' new diocese is supposed to be an Anglo Catholic one  Crazy
(05-15-2011, 07:18 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]Most Freemasons have been Protestants.

True, but many protestant sects (and other non-Catholic Churches) condemn freemasonry and forbid membership in the Synagogue of Satan. Here is a partial list of sects that do not tolerate the Lodge:

The Methodist Church of England, the Wesleyan Methodist Church, the Russian Orthodox Church, the Synod Anglican Church of England, the Assemblies of God, the Church of the Nazarene, the Orthodox Presbyterian Church, the Reformed Presbyterian Church, the Christian Reformed Church in America, the Evangelical Mennonite Church, the Church of Scotland, the Free Church of Scotland, General Association of Regular Baptist Churches, Grace Brethren, Independent Fundamentalist Churches of America, The Evangelical Lutheran Synod, the Baptist Union of Scotland, The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod, the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, and the Presbyterian Church in America.

(05-16-2011, 01:24 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-15-2011, 07:18 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]Most Freemasons have been Protestants.

True, but many protestant sects (and other non-Catholic Churches) condemn freemasonry and forbid membership in the Synagogue of Satan. Here is a partial list of sects that do not tolerate the Lodge:

The Methodist Church of England, the Wesleyan Methodist Church, the Russian Orthodox Church, the Synod Anglican Church of England, the Assemblies of God, the Church of the Nazarene, the Orthodox Presbyterian Church, the Reformed Presbyterian Church, the Christian Reformed Church in America, the Evangelical Mennonite Church, the Church of Scotland, the Free Church of Scotland, General Association of Regular Baptist Churches, Grace Brethren, Independent Fundamentalist Churches of America, The Evangelical Lutheran Synod, the Baptist Union of Scotland, The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod, the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, and the Presbyterian Church in America.

Glad to know that, although I wouldn't put the Orthodox in the same bag with the Protestants.
(05-16-2011, 02:39 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]Glad to know that, although I wouldn't put the Orthodox in the same bag with the Protestants.

That's why I said, 'many protestant sects (and other non-Catholic Churches'). Smile
(05-16-2011, 02:41 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-16-2011, 02:39 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]Glad to know that, although I wouldn't put the Orthodox in the same bag with the Protestants.

That's why I said, 'many protestant sects (and other non-Catholic Churches'). Smile

Ah, I missed that.

Sorry, my bad.
The thing I found particularly interesting about this was that Rowan prevailed to get the man to leave the Masonic Lodge, even though he'd previously expressed that he felt there was no conflict of interest.  Of course, considering Rowan's past waffling with regard to his statements about Freemasonry, and later wimpy apology, I find this very interesting.

The power of the official Masonic Lodge is waning significantly, I think.  If nothing else, they aren't finding new members and they're very elderly and out of touch, although the new members seem to emphasize the darker, occultic aspects of Masonry, perhaps things are just transforming, the beast is simply molting, leaving behind what looks like a dry husk...