FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: New improved English translation of the Roman Missal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I took a peak at the New improved English translation of the Roman Missal.  I noticed that in the communion prayer it is,  "Take this, all of you, and drink from it: for this is the chalice of my Blood, the Blood of the new and eternal covenant, which will be poured out for you and for many for the forgiveness of sins.  Do this in memory of me."  I wonder do NO Catholics notice the change change from  . . .  out for you and for many for the forgiveness of sins.  Do this in memory of me?  I wonder to the question why? 
I don't really no many NO Catholics and am curious what kinds of responses are coming from the NO religion.
Daniel

The changes won't be in the parish's until the 1st Sunday of Advent 2011, you will find out then
It is about time that the changes take place. Every time I hear the priest say "...for you and for all..." I wince
The local parish here is starting in June.
My old NO parish priest doesn't like the new translation.

Too many Latinizations, he feels. "Chalice" is inaccurate, he thinks that a cup was used.

Also, he argues, folks are too biblically illiterate to understand some of the corrected references, like the new English domine non sum dignus which uses "I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof," instead of the simpler and more direct "I am not worthy to receive you".

Plus, not fair the French keep their old translation and the English have to get a new one

He fears more folks will leave the NO because of the new missal translation, just like many left when the Novus Ordo was promulgated.
(05-17-2011, 09:08 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: [ -> ]My old NO parish priest doesn't like the new translation.

Too many Latinizations, he feels. "Chalice" is inaccurate, he thinks that a cup was used.

Also, he argues, folks are too biblically illiterate to understand some of the corrected references, like the new English domine non sum dignus which uses "I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof," instead of the simpler and more direct "I am not worthy to receive you".

Plus, not fair the French keep their old translation and the English have to get a new one

He fears more folks will leave the NO because of the new missal translation, just like many left when the Novus Ordo was promulgated.

Time to switch parishes.

Show the priest a copy of Fr. Stephen Somerville's Novus Ordo Apology. Or just tell him that it is a breath of fresh air  Fish-Eater Smackdown
well that was the last conversation with him - I made an appointment with him this January 2011 as I was leaving for the TLM
I find it interesting that the French novus ordo missal is the only one that I know of that doesn't actually translate pro multis as for all. Spanish, Italian, German all translate it as for all.
(05-17-2011, 09:39 PM)St. Drogo Wrote: [ -> ]I find it interesting that the French novus ordo missal is the only one that I know of that doesn't actually translate pro multis as for all. Spanish, Italian, German all translate it as for all.

rest assured though, French NO masses are still cringe-worthy eye-rolling affairs. I really think all this "reform of the reform" talk is bunk.