FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Rosary methods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I recently found this early Sarum version of the Rosary (http://www.preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/...arium.html) and have decided to start praying this way, though I imagine it will take a while before I've got it all memorised (in Latin or English!) - have any of you attempted it?

Also, would any of you care to share your method for saying the rosary? I only added the Creed after discovering how common it was (as far as I know it's an American convention), and I end with the Salve Regina. I don't say the Fatima prayer though I've thought about learning this and adding it. Generally I announce the Mystery and the specific virtue that it represents (one of St Louis de Montfort's methods).

What other practices do you include in your devotion?

I've never seen that rosary before. It might be good for me as I have a hard time with meditating, so this would be a solution that fits me. Thanks,

tim
(05-26-2011, 09:31 AM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]I've never seen that rosary before. It might be good for me as I have a hard time with meditating, so this would be a solution that fits me. Thanks,

tim

You're welcome - have you tried praying the Rosary in Latin? I find it easier not to focus on the words, and allow myself to meditate on the Mysteries when I'm praying in Latin (or Maltese, for that matter).
Thanks for sharing this. I didn't know this was how to pray the rosary using the Sarum method. I already do something very similar using the Dominican method, where I read a meditation for each Ave.
Yep, I recite in Latin most of the time. But whwether Latin or English, meditation is out of my reach. I adhere to the old rule for the Office, where it says your lips should be moving, even if said in secret.

tim
(05-26-2011, 10:56 AM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, I recite in Latin most of the time. But whwether Latin or English, meditation is out of my reach. I adhere to the old rule for the Office, where it says your lips should be moving, even if said in secret.

tim

Interesting, I follow the same practice. Have you tried the Spiritual Exercises as a way of building up to meditation? I don't think it's out of anybody's reach, even though it's difficult at first. I'll remember you in my prayers.
Frankly, I'm not that interested in meditation. This appeals to me more.

thanks,

tim
(05-26-2011, 09:16 AM)Melita Wrote: [ -> ]Also, would any of you care to share your method for saying the rosary? I only added the Creed after discovering how common it was (as far as I know it's an American convention), and I end with the Salve Regina.

Never heard that the Credo was American. It's always been in the prayers of the (Irish founded) Legion of Mary. Any way here's what I do, modified from those Legion Prayers:

I open with

In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.

V. Domine, labia mea aperies,
R. Et os meum annuntiabit laudem tuam.
V. Deus in adiutorium meum intende,
R. Domine ad adiuvandum me festina.

Folllowed by

COME, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Thy faithful and kindle in them the fire of Thy love. 
V. Send forth Thy Spirit and they shall be created
R. And Thou shalt renew the face of the earth. 
Let us pray:
O GOD, Who taught the hearts of the faithful by the light of the Holy Spirit, grant that, by the gift of the same Spirit, we may be always truly wise, and ever rejoice in His consolation. Through Christ our Lord. Amen. 

Then I direct my intentions

Our Lady of Fatima, I offer this Rosary for the peace of the world, the conversion of sinners and of Russian and for all those intentions for which I have promised to pray, am bound to pray or which God wouldst have me pray, especially.....

Then the Credo and the normal Rosary prayers (including the Fatima Prayer). I insert St Louis Marie's phrases after 'the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus... and finish each decade with 'May the fruits of the Mystery of (....) come down into our souls and make them truly holy.

I close with the Salve Regina, the Rosary collect and a short Litany based on the Legion of Mary prayers

v. Most Sacred Heart of Jesus
R. Have mercy on us.
v. Immaculate Heart of Mary
R. Pray for us.
v. St. Joseph
R. Pray for us.
v. St John the Evangelist
R. Pray for us.
v. St. Louis-Marie deMontfort
R. Pray for us.

Adding personal patrons , etc. and end with  the Sign of the Cross.
After the "Our Father" but before starting the "Hail Mary's" for each mystery I sometimes meditate for a few minutes on whatever mystery I'm on for a few minutes before getting into the "Aves".  This helps me but like you Tim, I have trouble meditating most of the time. I can't usually recite the "Aves" and meditate at the same time, I either have to meditate before , after or stop to do it in between and even than I wonder if it is real meditation or me just thinking.
(05-26-2011, 09:37 AM)Melita Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-26-2011, 09:31 AM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]I've never seen that rosary before. It might be good for me as I have a hard time with meditating, so this would be a solution that fits me. Thanks,

tim

You're welcome - have you tried praying the Rosary in Latin? I find it easier not to focus on the words, and allow myself to meditate on the Mysteries when I'm praying in Latin (or Maltese, for that matter).

I also find this helpful.
Pages: 1 2 3