FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Tradition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
WHat do you think of the trad movement in those countries? Explain.
I would rephrase the question ans ask what country is most traditional (speaking about Catholic morals and faith)?
From what I have heard, France, the eldest daughter of the Church, is the center of Tradition. The SSPX has a huge presence there and about 30% of all churches and Catholics there are Trads and traditionalist strongholds if I am not mistaken. Sadly, I can't speak or understand french, because there are a litany of blogs, websites, intellectual papers, and videos in french from France.
(05-28-2011, 04:21 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: [ -> ]From what I have heard, France, the eldest daughter of the Church, is the center of Tradition. The SSPX has a huge presence there and about 30% of all churches and Catholics there are Trads and traditionalist strongholds if I am not mistaken. Sadly, I can't speak or understand french, because there are a litany of blogs, websites, intellectual papers, and videos in french from France.

Oui. I agree.
I bet the the book "Open letter to confused Catholics" by his Excellency Archbishop Lefebvre is best read in the original French.
(05-28-2011, 04:21 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: [ -> ]From what I have heard, France, the eldest daughter of the Church, is the center of Tradition. The SSPX has a huge presence there and about 30% of all churches and Catholics there are Trads and traditionalist strongholds if I am not mistaken. Sadly, I can't speak or understand french, because there are a litany of blogs, websites, intellectual papers, and videos in french from France.

Why is France considered "The eldest daughter of the church?" I am curious about this/ Why isn't Italy the eldest daughter of the church considering that is where St. Peter and St. Paul were martyred?
On Christmas Day 800, Pope Leo III crowned Charlemagne Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, forming the political and religious foundations of Christendom.

The Council of Clermont, a mixed synod of ecclesiastics and laymen led by Pope Urban II in November 1095 at Clermont-Ferrand triggered the First Crusade.

The Avignon Papacy was the period from 1309 to 1377 during which seven French popes, resided in Avignon.
The Church of France, sometimes called the "eldest daughter of the Church" owing to its early and unbroken communion (2nd century) with the bishop of Rome, is part of the worldwide Catholic Church.
(05-28-2011, 05:16 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: [ -> ]

Why is France considered "The eldest daughter of the church?" I am curious about this/ Why isn't Italy the eldest daughter of the church considering that is where St. Peter and St. Paul were martyred?

France has been considered the eldest daughter of the Church since the Frankish King Clovis (aka King Louis I) was crowned by St. Remegius in the late 5th century after a battle with another Germanic tribe. Clovis agreed to be baptized a Christian if he was granted a victory, and since that time France has been given this title, even though nations like Armenia and Ethiopia were Christianized even before France, but they were too far away to defend the Papacy and the Church.

Italy didn't become a united nation until 1860. Prior to that, from the end of the Roman Empire in the West with the abdication of Romulus Augustulus, it had been controlled by the Germanic king Odoacer, the Ostrogoths, Byzantines, Lombards, and different parts were alternatively either Papal States, Republics of Venice, Genoa, Kingdom of Two Sicilies, Duchy of Benevento, Arab domination of Sicily for 2 centuries followed by Normans, and so forth. No united kingdom = no feasible Italian force to defend the Church on the scale of a Kingdom of France, and when Italy was finally united, it was done so thanks to the Risorgimento headed by the Freemasons Mazzini, Garibaldi, and Count Cavour, all of whom were hostile to the Church. 
I don't think a poll is necessary or helpful here. It is an objective and indisputable fact that France is the world's stronghold of traditionalism.
French Traditionalists understand the concept of TRADITION in the church better but i heard American Bishops are more likely to give Latin Masses. In fact i know that the FSSP has been asked to come into many dioceses and they just don't have the number of priests yet to fill the need. In fact the FSSP believes that each place should have 2 trad priests so their is a sense of community for the priests and prayer life.
Pages: 1 2